Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Length

Posted By: Sirjet

Rod Length - 01/07/16 10:49 PM

What length rod should I be using? I have them from 4 foot to 14 foot.

Re: Rod Length - 01/07/16 10:49 PM

And that question is for crappie fishing
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Rod Length - 01/07/16 11:21 PM

When I tubed I used my 7footer and it was nice!! I am 6'5 and have a long arm reach! But for me a 6.5 could have worked better! I think its really what your comfortable with!!
Posted By: porta

Re: Rod Length - 01/08/16 05:23 AM

The shorter the better for me, so long as the rod has a decent feel. I go for fish under my tube or do trolling, so I don't need to do any casting with a long pole. A short pole is easier to store on board and won't get tangled in low tree limbs/brush near shore lines. Also easier for me to unhook fish from a short pole.

PC
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: Rod Length - 01/08/16 11:08 AM

I think it depends on where you are fishing and how deep the water is. If I am fishing deeper water, I may use a 8-10 ft pro angler. If I am shooting docks or fishing under a low bridge, 5-6"

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 03:13 PM

Does anyone ever fish docks from their tube? If so do you sue a longer rod. I have 2 very light B&M 14 foot rods that I use for bank fishing. Would that be smart out of the tube?

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 03:18 PM

Shooting docs I and going to use something just under 6" and not very light. I like some backbone

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 03:37 PM

OK. Thank You. I want to try this. Never Shoot docks before. But I do have a general idea on how.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 04:54 PM

There is a TFFer that goes by Jiggin El on this forum that is a Tubing Guru. He showed me the way to go in Tubing & I`m sure he can help you like he helped me. What kind of tube are you going to be fishing out of?I have shot a dock or two before from a higher platform but a Float Tube hmmmUnless you can get completely under the dock, Why wouldn't you just get close enough to the dock & just stick the rod under it?You are already at water level 2cents

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: porta
The shorter the better for me, so long as the rod has a decent feel. I go for fish under my tube or do trolling, so I don't need to do any casting with a long pole. A short pole is easier to store on board and won't get tangled in low tree limbs/brush near shore lines. Also easier for me to unhook fish from a short pole.

PC
thumb

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 05:15 PM

I have the Fish Cat4

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 06:01 PM

GOOD CHOICE!Mine is similar it`s the Creek Company ODC420L.

Re: Rod Length - 01/13/16 06:58 PM

I Like it. It is a different way of fishing.
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Rod Length - 02/17/16 04:24 AM

I started off using short 5 ft rods,but now I an comfortable using up to 7ft

Re: Rod Length - 02/17/16 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: jiggin el

Hey we need to hit it here pretty soon. I may need some advice on tubing. We have yet to fish together. PM me in case I forget to look for this post.

Re: Rod Length - 02/17/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Hey we need to hit it here pretty soon. I may need some advice on tubing. We have yet to fish together. PM me in case I forget to look for this post.
uh oh! Wylie CM That Jiggin El..He`s done went and got him a new fishing toy now. It might be a little tuff to coax him back into the tube. bolt

Re: Rod Length - 02/17/16 05:57 PM

Really? I have been tubin a long time and even with a boat, I love Tubin. Still have 4 of 'em and going to buy several more pretty soon. Shopping for a used center console right now.

Re: Rod Length - 02/23/16 12:56 AM

I would like for someone to take me out and give me a tubin class. I am very green.
Posted By: muscogeemike

Re: Rod Length - 02/23/16 01:16 AM

Seems like you Marines always need us Army guys to "help" you!
No kidding I'd be happy to take you out when the water warms some, although I live in Athens-about 70 miles south of you.
On the positive side I have access to several private lakes where tubing is great.
If you want to come south let me know.

Re: Rod Length - 02/23/16 03:00 PM

Why you go there. LOL. There are times when we must work together to achieve the greater mission. I PM'ed you Sir.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Rod Length - 03/24/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Originally Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

uh oh! Wylie CM That Jiggin El..He`s done went and got him a new fishing toy now. It might be a little tuff to coax him back into the tube. bolt

I think the SNAKE thing got to him...LOL...I guessing those snakes were a little TOO close to his face/back!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Rod Length - 03/24/16 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirjet
What length rod should I be using? I have them from 4 foot to 14 foot.

Whatever you are comfortable with...start with a 5 or 6 ft rod and as you get comfortable, go longer...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum