Texas Fishing Forum

Tube tournament

Posted By: hcriverrat

Tube tournament - 07/22/13 09:58 PM

I was thinking of getting a little tube fishing tournament going at one of the LBJ grasslands lakes. Is there any interest in this? I'd figure we would need at least 10 guys at say 20.00 each. Top couple places pay. Give me your input.
Posted By: terrychester

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 10:25 PM

I may not fish the tournament but I would most definitely help out anyway I can this year. count me in to help out with it since I live up here
Posted By: Spencer12

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 11:04 PM

If you would include bass buster style boats. You can count me in

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 11:22 PM

my thoughts would to be let enter, the different style of boats listed here. inflatable pontoon, float tubes and bass buster style boats. After all the forum thread is floaters and paddlers

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 11:39 PM

Yeah that's a good idea, just no kayaks because there's tournaments for them already?

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 11:42 PM

I was thinking to stay away from motorized boats?
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 11:55 PM

I may not fish them cause tourneys aren't my style, but I am like Terry, I will help out. Been fishing the grasslands for 15 years and have a pretty decent hand on the area, if I may say so. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/22/13 11:58 PM

Will do, thank you Sir

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:04 AM

If this gets going good and successful, might consider doing medley style tournaments. Do a different lake each tournament. Quite a number of good sized lakes up here to keep it interesting.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:07 AM

I like that

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:12 AM

Lots of options on the way to do it. Number one thing to do real quick I think Clifton would be to set up some basic ground rules.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:14 AM

I'll get something together and post it.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:15 AM

and if we are going to do it on the grass lands what are the rules they have. I can help with that. The district ranger goes to church with my sister.....

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:18 AM

I don't think they have any rules against it. I've done kayak tournaments out there. I'm guessing its the same

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:21 AM

Yea. And how winner will be determined. Is it gonna be a Big Fish tourney? Hauling a sack of 5 fish will get difficult. Photos of your fish caught is what a certain bank fishing trail does, but some people may not be comfortable carrying their phone or camera into the water. Also, you might consider fly fisherman since one lake, Windmill Lake, is fly fishing only. Could be a special tournament for them there. These are just suggestions. I honestly love this idea of a tube tournament out here. Love it when the grasslands gets some well deserved attention.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:46 AM

Keep it small the first couple of times then start expanding

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:49 AM

+1

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 12:57 AM

some questions.

what will be allowed and not allowed.
ie: some may have fishfinder, others may not. do we allow those with them to use them, is this fair to those who don't.

just some thoughts..........

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:01 AM

oops hit enter to soon.

it started off as tube tournament. I think we have agreed to open to "floaters and paddlers, if we do this, then when a yakker come up do we let them enter or just stipulate,

tubes, inflatable pontoon boats, and bass hunter style boats.

I think the yakkers have their own tournaments and nothing really that I have seen or heard for us step children (lol)

my thought on this....... float tube, inflatable pontoon boats, and bass hunters type and if in the future we have to break it up then we do that.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:03 AM

Length or weight style tournament is another good topic. Without a certified scale present, a lot of the grasslands bass are pretty similar in size (12-14 inches) and bass this size fluctuate in weights on different scales like crazy. Length, though, is pretty accurate. A 14 inch bass is 14 inches on any ruler. But a 14 incher on one scale may weigh more or less on another. Another thought...

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:10 AM

there is a company on the north side of fw, usa bass trails. if we do this might see if they could have someone come up if it is an off weekend for them to do the measurements.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:22 AM

Know what you are talking about, Terry. Hope this tournament gets going good.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:32 AM

lol, may not know what I am talking about but I can dazzle em with the bs oops brilliance.

I have helped set up several big events such as a state wide ems conference in the 80s. several disaster drills in small towns.

I learned how to think through something to be sure it all gets covered........... had a good time at Cabelas this morning.....

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:37 AM

Is it the Texas Bass Trail? I believe there is a building with a logo on it headed that way.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:39 AM

That could be it. just knew one was there

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:41 AM

Never been a tournament guru myself so I do not know exactly what needs to get done.
My father was an amateur tournament fisherman, had all the free lures he wanted from sponsors as long as he would wear their logo. Was gonna go pro before my older twin siblings were born. He might could give some input to this type of thing.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:47 AM

He could, HCriverrat, came up with the idea. I don't want to step on anyones shoes by doing a lot of stuff. when they may have it done already....

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 01:50 AM

Interested to see how this works out. Might just have to break my habits and fish this tournament. HCriverrat, you have my thoughts and input. Let us know of any updates.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 04:16 AM

if we did it where top weight. we would need one specific scale. I think if all that fished agreed to have one person do the weighing with a digital scale we could do it.

otherwise I would say 5 fish limit, total length wins.

have read of some tourneys where that is done.

for a first time, as a way to do a GTG so we could meet and greet. that would be a good way to go.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 04:19 AM

One scale for all weights would work.
Posted By: That Possum

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 04:26 AM

I'd like to get in on this myself.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 09:54 AM

You won't be stepping on my toes by any means. I don't have a whole lot of time to work on it so it could take time if I did it alone. I have a few hours in the afternoon to work on it but that's about it. Feel free!!
Posted By: FlyitWithFury

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 02:58 PM

If you allow using a trolling motor on buster boats I'm in.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 03:47 PM

We have tried this several times actually, to get one going. We had one tourney on clear lake, we just did small buster boats.

Think 4 guys showed up. And we never could really get enough intrest to do it again.

Good luck. If buster boats can come I would be in to fish.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 03:49 PM

I have a tube and a bass hunter. I can see how motorized boats would be somewhat unfair, but if you decide they are allowed then I am officially in. Not quite comfortable enough to compete in my tube yet.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 06:38 PM

I personally dont care if you use a trollng motor or not.its not like you can make a run across the lake and i cant. Lol

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 07:35 PM

would we want to have a catagorie for tubes, and a catagorie for bass busters, are have it just a heads up everyone against everyone mainly to let us have a GTG

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 07:54 PM

after some thought, I like the ideal of headsup fishing.

Fishing and fun and fellowship is what this is about Right.
Posted By: FlyitWithFury

Re: Tube tournament - 07/23/13 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: terrychester

Fishing and fun and fellowship is what this is about Right.

+1

Re: Tube tournament - 07/24/13 01:37 AM

would we want to have a catagorie for tubes, and a catagorie for bass busters, are have it just a heads up everyone against everyone mainly to let us have a GTG
thats way to much work, headsup sounds like the ticket

Re: Tube tournament - 07/24/13 01:53 AM

that's what I was thinking heads up it is then.......

Re: Tube tournament - 07/24/13 01:54 AM

how do we want to weigh it in, or have a format of
total length of fish keepers

Re: Tube tournament - 07/24/13 02:20 AM

how do we want to weigh it in, or have a format of
total length of fish keepers
id recommend best 5 fish by length. I have a built in live well in my tube. We would have to use cameras to take pics with an identifier in the picture
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Tube tournament - 07/24/13 01:54 PM

I'm not sure letting Bass Busters in the tournament would be the greatest idea. I have nothing against them and really love them and fished from them for many years. I own a raft though. There's a huge difference in fishing from my raft to a Bass Buster. Anybody in a bass buster would have an advantage over a tube, pontoon or even raft. I would consider joining this tournament, but not if Bass Buster's are going to be in it. I don't even like taking pictures on my raft when it's just me because of limited space and possible damage to electronics.
Just my 2 cents... take it at it's worth.

Re: Tube tournament - 07/24/13 03:08 PM

we will
Posted By: bassin belly boater

Re: Tube tournament - 07/29/13 05:38 AM

I am interested in joining the tournament!
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Tube tournament - 08/02/13 04:58 PM

Count me In !!!!!
PM me info...
I also have 4 more other Tubers who will join..
"Tubers United "
Posted By: Fishbrain

Re: Tube tournament - 08/09/13 03:17 AM

Just fyi, we have done this before up there. KD from the TFF set up the first ones. The Grasslands officials don't mind (at least back then), just as long as it isn't for profit of the organizer--has to be 100% payout. They do appreciate you giving them a heads up, though. We did Clear Lake as far back as 2003 and Black Creek a few years later. Clear Lake had probably 12 tubers. I think we did $20 entry fee and $5 big bass. We had an actual weigh-in. Every participant had to have some form of livewell. I had one constructed of PVC, foam akin to pool floats, and a large laundry bag. Takes a little effort towing the things around, but we didn't have any dead fish at weigh in. We also had a great turnout for a tournament up at Grapevine--I think we put in outside the marina in the cove at Twin Coves. We tried Aquilla, but we only had maybe 5 turn out.
Posted By: TexasCanepole

Re: Tube tournament - 10/06/13 01:07 PM

I remember Twin Coves, clear lake...

how're you fb? still tubn? I do. look what they've done to the thread KD and fishnaddict started ... I wonder how Jerry's is doing?

How about Wayne, he lived closed to clear lake - anyway Hello and God Bless.
Posted By: turgidonus

Re: Tube tournament - 10/24/13 09:34 PM

If this tournament hasn't already passed then count me in
Posted By: Reelexcitement

Re: Tube tournament - 10/29/13 02:14 AM

I just bought a tube. Have taken it out one time. How much longer will the water be warm enough to have this tournament? I figure a guy like me ought to get a little handicap. Say 4 pounds. Lol..Yust Yoking
BUT REALLY isn't the water going to be too cold soon?
Posted By: TogiakTerror

Re: Tube tournament - 10/29/13 02:55 AM

Warm enough water? Cold weather is the best.
Posted By: where's my bobber?

Re: Tube tournament - 10/29/13 04:48 PM

Some of the best fishin happens when it's cold. Get a good pair of waders and you'll be fine.
Posted By: Reelexcitement

Re: Tube tournament - 10/29/13 05:33 PM

How do you work the swim fins and waders together?
Posted By: TogiakTerror

Re: Tube tournament - 10/30/13 01:55 AM

I just loosen my fins and put them over my waders
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum