Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Rods

Posted By: terrychester

Fishing Rods - 07/07/13 08:10 PM

What size (length) rod do you use when tubing. Read someplace where it is better to use a shorter rod. I would think use whatever your comfortable with.
Posted By: porta

Re: Fishing Rods - 07/07/13 09:31 PM

I like short, tough tip (ugly stick) rods under 5' for float tubes. Stiff or heavy action spinning rods are hard to find at those lengths, though.

I have both lay flat and upright rod holders and the tips on longer rods would be damaged in the flat mount position. Moving backwards or transporting using back straps puts the tip at risk.
Also, if crank bait hooks tangle with the eyelets/line near the tip, it is slower to untangle on a long rod. My favorite was a 5' interline rod which has no eyelet guides to tangle, but they are hard to find now. Landing a fish is more difficult with longer rods as well. I don't need a very long casting distance anyway, since I quietly drift/power into position when I fish.

Hope this helps.

Porta

Re: Fishing Rods - 07/07/13 09:35 PM

having been a bank or boat fisherman for all my life, I have mostly long rods. Have a couple of 5'6 rods from the 80s that I may have revive.

I understand what you are saying.
Thanks
Posted By: Quitlimpin

Re: Fishing Rods - 07/10/13 01:32 AM

I prefer to stay in the 6'3"-6'8" range, but I've rolled plenty of times with a flipping stick.

Re: Fishing Rods - 07/10/13 04:00 AM

have several sizes of rods. will just have to experiment and see what I like best.

Thanks
Posted By: jagg

Re: Fishing Rods - 08/04/13 03:42 AM

I got to have a longer rod when fishing from a canoe, kayak, tube or wading. I'm often fishing moderately clear to crystal clear water so long casts with light weights are a necessity. Here lately, I've been getting bit on the ends of those long cast. When this happens, I'm always happy to have that extra length to reach out and touch them with. That extra leverage helps to drive the hook and control the fish without having to have a heavier rod that won't let you feel the fight.
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Fishing Rods - 08/08/13 05:39 PM

I prefer under 5ft when I'm in my Tube ...Pro Angler has a great one..
One of our guys prefers a 12 foot,the others use 6-7 ft rods ...It's all about what's comfortable for you ....Good Luck ...
Posted By: Epic

Re: Fishing Rods - 08/08/13 11:01 PM

The first time I went I used a 12 foot rod. That made it kind of tough at the docks. It wasn't bad but I quickly changed to one under 5 foot. I think you should go with what you are comfortable with.
Posted By: Fishbrain

Re: Fishing Rods - 08/09/13 03:19 AM

Don't like short rods. I use a med-heavy or heavy 7 or 7-1/2 foot flipping rod almost exclusively in my tubes. I like the extra length and stiffness to give more power to hook-sets, personally.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum