Texas Fishing Forum

What do I do, pontoon registration

Posted By: dallee

What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/13/21 01:14 AM

Gentlemen, I am wanting to get a couple Colorado XT pontoon boats for the wife and I this year.

We want to put trolling motors on them when in use in lakes.

I know since they have trolling motors they have to be registered to use but how do I go about that when they don't have a serial number or anything. What information or documents must I have to get it registered.

I ask because the last time I bought a little Water Moccasin boat with trolling motor on it, I had absolute heck with TPW even though it was registered already and I had titles to both the boat and trailer. I had to go back to the previous owner that was retired Warden to get more information/documents/more signatures three times.

Also when I bought a little two man bass buster type boat one time, I had to get Academy to send me some kind of documentation to get it stickered.

I just don't think you get anything sent to you with a little pontoon boat.

I am not complaining as I understand rules are rules, I just didn't seem to be able to understand everything they wanted.

I'd just like to have my ducks in a row if I purchase these so I don't have all the issues.

Thanks for any help!
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/13/21 07:52 AM

Go to the registration have the outline everything you need to register the boats before you purchase them. I have found this is much easy than making several trips back and forth. They simply gave me the paperwork and highlighted what sections the seller and I needed to complete too get the boat registered.

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/13/21 03:22 PM

Thank you. Sounds like good advice.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/13/21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
Go to the registration have the outline everything you need to register the boats before you purchase them. I have found this is much easy than making several trips back and forth. They simply gave me the paperwork and highlighted what sections the seller and I needed to complete too get the boat registered.

x2 same scenario for me
Posted By: RODS454

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/15/21 12:30 PM

I don’t know about the new models but my 10 year old XT has a serial # on one of the skins.

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/17/21 07:28 PM

Ah thanks for the heads up on this. I will check.

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 02/17/21 07:37 PM

So after that advice, letting me know about your XT, I called Classic Accessories.

So just in case anyone else comes across this thread with the same question.

C/A says the Colorado comes with a hull identification on it and it also comes with a certificate of origin that takes care of all the information you need to get it registered with TPWD.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 05/25/21 01:55 AM

And if it didn't have a hull #, a GW can inspect the rig for worthiness and assign a hull # to it. Hull # will be stored on the craft itself, maybe in some sort of pocket. I'm going thru that now with my inflatable. This is an old thread, so let us know how it went.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: What do I do, pontoon registration - 05/29/21 01:06 AM

Forms ........... 143, 144, & 314
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum