Texas Fishing Forum

Seeking battery info.

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Seeking battery info. - 12/22/20 11:26 PM

What would be a good, lightweight battery for an 8 foot bass buggy? I have a 26lb trolling motor. I've always used a conventional GP24 battery, but I like something lighter due to my advanced age. I'd only be using it a few hours at a time.
Posted By: porta

Re: Seeking battery info. - 12/23/20 01:38 AM

Amazon has lithium batteies which are at least half the weight but are much more expensive like this one, about the same capacity as GP 24, HOPE link works

https://www.amazon.com/Ampere-Time-...a1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Or you can load 2 smaller cheap lead batteries, one at a time, to an electrician made custom wiring harness for your boat.

Re: Seeking battery info. - 12/23/20 11:04 PM

I appreciate the info., but that's more than I'd care to spend. There was a video on Youtube about using a battery jump pack for trolling. I might try that and see how long it lasts.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Seeking battery info. - 12/24/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
I appreciate the info., but that's more than I'd care to spend. There was a video on Youtube about using a battery jump pack for trolling. I might try that and see how long it lasts.

I would do a lot more research before I tried using a battery jump pack.
I do like the idea of buying 2 smaller lighter batteries to replace a single heavy battery. Use one until it gets low and then switch to the other one. I had a Bass Raider and bought the biggest, most powerful battery Academy sold at the time. I regretted lugging that 80 pounds around at the boat ramp because I launched out of a pickup bed.
Posted By: McFish51

Re: Seeking battery info. - 12/25/20 06:52 PM

The pricey lithium batteries actually cost less per hour over time. They can be run down to 20% (vs 50% for lead/acid) so maybe you only need a 50 Amphour instead of 100. They have a much longer life. And they weigh much less. If your boat capacity is nearing the max with you and a big battery, you are much safe with a ighter lithium, and a faster speed with less weight.

Re: Seeking battery info. - 12/25/20 11:02 PM

Do you need a different charger for the lithium battery?
Posted By: porta

Re: Seeking battery info. - 12/26/20 04:41 PM

https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-12v-battery-charger/

Your present charger will work, but a lithium charger will extend the life of a lithium battery, see specifications on lower left hand side of this page above. If you don't need quick charging, any low-cost lithium charger will work, it just takes longer to charge, 18 hours to one day for a GP 24 size (50 amp hour) battery for this $29 charger. Look around on this site for other possible questions, but shop around for lower prices -compared to this website. You might be able to use a smaller battery than GP 24, if you are only out a few hours at a time and don't use the highest speed much.
Posted By: medinaD

Re: Seeking battery info. - 01/05/21 07:23 PM

I use a group 35 size deep cyle battery. I would guess it's half the weight of the larger batteries, not to mention that it takes up less space. You can pick one up for less than $100 (saw one on clearance at Academy last week for $52). It should be more that enough for a couple hours on the water. Mine is 5 years old and is finally getting where its not able to keep up. I use it for half day trips on a 10' Pelican Bass Raider and 30 amp trolling motor with a depth finder hooked up to it and it has never let let me down.

Re: Seeking battery info. - 01/06/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by medinaD
I use a group 35 size deep cyle battery. I would guess it's half the weight of the larger batteries, not to mention that it takes up less space. You can pick one up for less than $100 (saw one on clearance at Academy last week for $52). It should be more that enough for a couple hours on the water. Mine is 5 years old and is finally getting where its not able to keep up. I use it for half day trips on a 10' Pelican Bass Raider and 30 amp trolling motor with a depth finder hooked up to it and it has never let let me down.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum