Texas Fishing Forum

Big guy float tube.....Advise needed!

Posted By: jasoniam

Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 01:04 AM

So I'm 6'5 355lbs. Float tube recommendations? A lot that I see go to 325 capacity. Would I fare well in that, or shy away?
This one does say 350# capacity, would you trust it? Advise needed!
https://www.amazon.com/Wistar-Infla...;qid=1562720430&s=gateway&sr=8-8
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 02:07 AM

Like most of them, they all have pros and cons. I now use a Caddis Premier plus. After having it a while I can tell you I like the padded seats. The one you listed has that. Mine has the air fill valves in the pockets. I don’t like that. The one you listed shows the valves outside on the top of the tube. That means more storage in the pockets. The only negative I see to the one you listed is that PVC isn’t considered as durable as the ripstop nylon and denier that many use. I also like the bar that the one you listed has. Some have gone to a stripping apron but no bar. I’m not a fan of that design. The only thing I can’t tell from the pictures is if the apron clips on the sides or just has Velcro holding it beside you. I prefer the clips as they are more durable.

Overall, the one you listed looks pretty good. You might look at the Classic Accessories Cumberland as a comparison and see what you think. If I were buying one now, I’d probably go with it over what I purchased.

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 02:12 AM

so, is the weight capacity a rule of thumb or will I be ok?

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 02:19 AM

thats a tough question. When you factor in 5-10 lbs of soft plastics, maybe a deer feeder battery and a fish finder you could be 45-50 lbs over capacity. Personally I wouldn’t do it.

The Cumberland I mentioned is rated at 350

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 02:25 AM

Wow..just looked at it, and since I won't be using a battery or motor, I should be good. I crappie fish, so very light as far as what I take with me..

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 02:42 AM

Sorry... I don’t know why I read yours as rated at 325.... ignore my bad math. I failed reading comprehension

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/10/19 02:43 AM

Lol! All good man... I’m thinking that should be ok. I ordered it! We shall see!!
Posted By: porta

Re: Big guy float tube.....Advise needed! - 07/11/19 02:44 AM

Scadden has large tubes, but they are known to be overpriced and trouble-prone. Here's one with 700 lb capacity, there may be others, check around on the website

https://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/product-page/outlaw-predator-r
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum