Texas Fishing Forum

Inflatable pontoons

Posted By: fish-n-elmo

Inflatable pontoons - 05/07/18 12:10 AM

Anybody fish out of one of the inflatable pontoons? What pros and cons? Thanks!
Posted By: porta

Re: Inflatable pontoons - 05/07/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: fish-n-elmo
Anybody fish out of one of the inflatable pontoons? What pros and cons? Thanks!

Pros compared to large raft & bass buster:! Small, great portability, EZ Storage, no boat ramps or trailers required in most cases! Easy to transport by strapping to roof when set up, or in trunk when deflated! Great maneuverability, most can turn or spin within their own length, so you can quickly face a hooked fish to play it! More stable in wind and waves because of the low sitting position, easy to board and disembark or for stand up fishing in the shallows! Uses less energy to be propelled by oars, fins, or Troll Motor, because middle section does not drag in the water, so greater range and speed when same size and weight is considered! Can be used to walk or float down Rapids, once the skill is mastered! Self bailing, feet to not marinate in water when placed in stirrups, hindquarter stay dry with most designs! Pontoons will bounce off rocks without cracking the structure. Will still float even is punctured or popped because of Trapped air pockets, unless trolling motor and battery is used.

Cons: associated with inflation, deflation, punctures, leaks! Not as much storage as some other boats! Bottom scrapes and thin out if dragged across rocks or bare ground!
Posted By: fish-n-elmo

Re: Inflatable pontoons - 05/07/18 04:34 PM

Thanks
Posted By: BigfootHunter

Re: Inflatable pontoons - 05/12/18 09:16 PM

Wow ! Sounds like you have had lots of experience with inflatables. I have often wondered about these myself. I have an 02’ truck right now, but going to get a Ford Edge, SUV, the first of next year so an easy setup has crossed my mind. I have looked at several at Cabelas.
Posted By: BigfootHunter

Re: Inflatable pontoons - 05/12/18 09:19 PM

I’ve heard of people fishing off of stand up paddle boards also but I need something with a seat on that puppy unless they make a fishing paddle board. If they do, it seems you might as well go a small boat route.
Posted By: porta

Re: Inflatable pontoons - 05/14/18 03:30 PM

Tubes and pontoons are a hobby for 40 plus years. I have used these an average of maybe once a week during that time, never did that with any other kind of boat. Tried just about every kind of small boat except for a stand up paddle board, which seem uncomfortable, unstable, of limited storage and heavier than tubes, not good for a 70 year old person.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum