Texas Fishing Forum

Trinity River

Posted By: Rayzor

Trinity River - 07/30/17 10:50 PM

I never see more than 2 or 3 fishing reports on here, so I am going to post one. It may not be as exciting as finding out what the best trolling motor is, but what the heck.

Some of you might actually fish the lower Trinity river. We slept in and put in at the Wallisville Project ramp at around 10:30am. Crossing over the Trinity river/I-10 bridge, which is north of the locks, I saw exposed banks. Uh oh. When we got to the ramp, I looked up-river, and sure enough, the locks were open. That means they are letting water out of Lake Livingston and my fishing spots are going to be LOW. We fished the small triangular lake ( do not have a name) and caught 8 of the usual 1 pound bass plus a surprise 3 pounder. I have never seen this lake as low as it was.

Traveled up river to the Sulphur Cut. The canal was so shallow, I had to kick the motor dang near out of the water. Caught one small LMB and a nasty 4-foot gar. There was no breeze to speak of, my Wife was getting hot, so we called it a day.

Man, I hope I get to chase some trout under birds out in the bay this year. Lots of fresh water coming down the river kills that.
Posted By: ChampionOwner

Re: Trinity River - 08/01/17 01:26 AM

The locks have been open for a while, I know at least 6 weeks. I was also out Saturday but headed in about 11:00am, got on the water at 6:30. Caught a dozen bass , 3 monster grinnel, and broke off twice because of gar. If they ever close the locks the fishing will get better.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum