Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Ray Hanselman

Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/04/06 10:09 PM

This is crazy,the number of bass we are catching!!! I lost count of the 100 plus fish days we have had,I think it started back in April. Today we had 114 by 12:30 mostly on the Spro bronze eye frogs and vixens but quite a few were on 7 inch senkos. Last week two of us had 206 in nine hours on the same baits, it was wild.
The lake is about 13 feet low and the water temp is in the mid eighties. You can still catch them deeper but why? DD22 and drop shotting can get them on main lake flats,points,and humps, 18 to 22 feet. You can also go through the beavers pretty fast. Rigged Tx style with 1oz or 1 1/2 oz TRU - TUNGSTEN colored weight dropped through the grass at the out side edge 18 -24ft.
I still have a few days open in August!!
(830)317-9942 reelnray.com
Thanks,
Ray Hanselman
Posted By: TCB

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/05/06 12:15 PM

WOW!!! I'm heading down next week for a couple of days. Glad to hear the topwater bite is going.
Posted By: FroWins

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/07/06 12:36 AM

Spent Saturday, Sunday and a couple of hours Monday morning. It was my first trip there. I went with my brother-in-law and his neighbor. We boated over 200. A few over 7lbs. Caught them on just about everything. Especially jigs around brush when grass was present in about 15ft.

Best trip ever for me. We're going back in August.
Posted By: The Texas Alien

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/09/06 06:30 PM

Great reports. Going on Tuesday and Wednesday.

FroWins: what kind of jigs?

Can anyone recommend a place closest to the lake to spend the night? I am pretty sure that we will be using the launch at Black Brush.

I will give a report here on Thursday.
Posted By: Riotex

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/10/06 01:41 AM

Good luck Texas Alien, Will be looking forward to your report on thurs.. I will going down week after next.
Rio
Posted By: aircfish

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/11/06 07:28 PM

Went down Friday afternoon...fished the evening, my favorite 2 baits. One white spinner and one blue/chrome jerkbait. Hammered them severely. Same thing Saturday morning and evening. Once again on Sunday morning. Between 2 of us we caught over 300 keeper size fish with quite a few 4 lb fish and 2 over 6. Did break down and throw a buzz bait some, caught fish on it. Just for grins put on the C-rigged senko, caught fish. Threw that silly looking frog that Ray mantioned, caught fish. Threw them all back for future fun. Every fish except those on the C-rig were in less than 6 ft of water in the grass. Lord knows I love that lake.
Posted By: Blue Devil 7

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 04:50 PM

What areas are y'all fishing? I am going to be down there this weekend for the first time. We are planning on launching from Blackbrush and fishing either The San Pedro area or Devil's river. We are planning on throwing some baby bass colored topwaters, crankbaits, and watermelon seed and motor oil/chart t-rigged worms. Will this be a productive plan of attack? Any tips will be most appreciated. I'll post a report when I get back.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 05:39 PM

My mouth is starting to salivate.....
Posted By: saskeeter

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 05:57 PM

I can't take this torture anymore. I booked a room next weekend. Usually I bring my boys or possibly a friend. This trip will be with my wife. It should be interesting as she only goes fishing about once a year. I hope Amistad doesn't spoil her too much, she might start bumping the boys out of their trips. I will post a report when I get back.

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 06:18 PM

Meeting my dad there early friday. Time for a little smoke on the water....

Will post report upon returning....if I return.

Beer thirty.

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 06:20 PM

Oh yah, I picked up some killer baits while in Hawaii. If they work as good as they look, I'll post the information about them.

Can't wait to tie one on...in more ways than one!!

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 08:47 PM

I guess I'll be ahead of y'all. This time tomorrow, I'll be on the Blue Jewel!!!!! banana
Posted By: R T

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TCB:
I guess I'll be ahead of y'all. This time tomorrow, I'll be on the Blue Jewel!!!!! banana
Me too!!!!!!!!!! banana banana banana
Posted By: Tim Cook

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 11:11 PM

I will be there Friday through Sunday and staying at Anglers Lodge. Look for the Charger/Yukon rig and the guy with a huge smile on his face and sore hands. smile
Posted By: txbazzman

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 11:18 PM

All right guys I have never been to Amistad but I finally am going to head down there on the 30+31 of July. We are going to try to stay at the AIrforce Rec Camp. ANy suggestions for newbies?
Posted By: The Texas Alien

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 11:23 PM

Well, I hope all of you do better than we did.

Wind was blowing from the SE about 15 - 25 constantly for both Tuesday and Wednesday. Temps topped out at 102. Water is beautiful and clear. Moon was full.

Al and I arrived about noon on Tuesday, checked into the Regency Inn and launched at Black Brush. We started drifting over the vegetation and working the south bank west and east. We used different plastics (Lake Fork's, Assasins, Zooms, Gulp', Yum's, craws, flukes, worms, and toads) in varying depths of water. Also used jigs and jigs with tails and trailers. Caught one small bass by 6:00 P.M. Went to rest from the heat and get ready for early morning.

On the water Wednesday morning at crack of dawn, again from Blackbrush. Wind still blowing. Went up Rough Canyon and started working topwaters, shallow-diving cranks and rattletraps along the east edge, going from cove to cove. A crawdad colored Rattletrap cast into the brush tops caught 6 small bass. A gold rapala caught two small bass. We could not see anyone catching fish so we came in around 1:00 p.m. to drive back to San Antonio. We did find a school of stripers ripping the shad under gulls and tried to get close enough to entice them, but they sounded within 5 minutes.

Long hot trip but the lake is so beautiful. It is well worth it. I am not much of a bass fisherman, but Al is pretty good. Perhaps we should have hired ReelnRay for the first venture to show us how.

Good luck to all who are going.

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/13/06 02:49 PM

15-25? That sucks. That usually means 30. I'm nervous about 12 mph. I know how fast it can change. Then again, sometimes that means nothing at all in the morning.
Posted By: way2manyhobbies

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/13/06 03:47 PM

I will be on Amistad Friday evening thru Sunday. I will post a report when I get back.
Posted By: BRB

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 01:54 AM

Hey FroWins sounds like you had a great trip! Your brother-in-law and his neighbor sound like they knew what they were doing. What kind of jigs were you guys throwing?
Posted By: Brushhog

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 01:54 AM

Hey Frowinns, what color was the jig? I have had alot of success with w/r paddle tale worms, did you try any?

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 01:58 AM

Just want to let you guys know to drink plenty of fluids while on the lake. We saw a guy puking his guts out last weekend and looked to be in pretty bad shape. Be careful out there!

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 01:58 AM

Hey BRB, when were you there? Thought I might have seen you in a white skeeter. Funny thing is there was a guy puking over the side! Was that you?

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 02:06 AM

Brushog we were there two weekends ago. The only person I've ever fished with that puked was a guy that couldn't handle snuff. He took a chew and was letin it fly about 5 min. afterwards. I don't know if he'll ever be the same.

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 02:06 AM

Hey guys be careful with the fish. With water temps so high they can be dead in a matter of minutes. Look out for yourself as well. The best thing you can do is take a nap in the afternoon and stay away from tobacco products.

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 02:09 AM

BRB sad thing to hear. Hope your friend is ok. I'm sure he is hard core enough to not let it effect his fishing.

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/14/06 02:17 AM

Brush he bounced back pretty quick and let the whole lake know when he caught a fish by screaming "thats what we came here for!" The guy is a machine.
Posted By: Tyler

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/16/06 09:50 PM

ive had trouble on amistad the past few times where have yall been fishing the last time i fished alot around ski cove and marker 6 on the american side, ive thought about running up twards the river but havent yet thanks

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 07/17/06 12:08 AM

We had a good trip as far as numbers. Didn't catch 100/day but could have if we had wanted to stay on the smaller fish. There are a lot of 10-14" fish in the duck weed. We also spent a good amount of time chucking dd-22 that caught fish up to 3-1/2#'s on the points. I did manage two over 7 on a frog Saturday up shallow but both had DEEP water near by. We just never got into the schools of 4#+ fish that others had been catching. I think the 15+ mph winds hurt us from getting on some of the places we wanted to fish.
Posted By: wacopops

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/19/06 05:43 PM

anyone know where i could call and buy lake map.appreciate any help
Posted By: rockiesfan57

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/21/06 12:58 PM

The best topo map can be bought at the National Park Service headquarters. You can buy a map that is so-so at Academy.
Posted By: teebone

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/24/06 04:54 AM

The topo from National park service is no longer available from them, it is out of print since it was from 1985, they don't know if or when they will be a reprint or update. The only one available is by AIDS and is available at Walmart and any of the bait and tackle store and some of the convience stores here in Del Rio.

If you have a Lowrance graph you can download for FREE a map from their website that is the best out yet.
Posted By: Laredos Bass

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/24/06 02:52 PM

Do you have the webside?
Posted By: fishman

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/25/06 06:19 PM

Before your next trip to Amistad stop by our shop and pick up those baits you need. We carry a complete line of ReactionInnovations products including both vixens, big units, swamp donkeys,
double and single wide beavers in 15 colors, welded flipping hooks and more. We also carry Norman DD22s, Hot Lips Express, 1 1/2 oz tru tungsten flipping weights, 6 and 7 in dingers,
1 1/2oz jigs, 1 1/2 oz deep diving Revenge spinnerbaits, 9 in forked dingers, and a lot more. Stop by from 7am - 8 pm 7 days a week.
210-213-2534
Fishermans Corner
21910 FM 306
Canyon Lake, Texas 78133
www.texasbasstackle.com
Posted By: N.M,Basser

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/25/06 10:30 PM

Web site for Lowrance map of Amistad is www.lowrance.com. .Map is free and is by far the best map I have seen
Posted By: ezeejigs

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/26/06 03:42 PM

Anyone looking for a great 11/2oz. jig also 1oz. and 5/8oz.try the ezee grass jigs lots of good colors WWW.EZEEJIGS.COM
Posted By: mcneil9

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/30/06 10:40 PM

Any problems taking a boat to Amistad? I heard stories about mexican "banditos" stealing boats??
Posted By: N.M,Basser

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/31/06 12:29 AM

If you are going to go into Mexico make sure you have all the necessary paper work.Boat permit and fishing liscence for everyone.You are more likely to have issues with the government than bandits.You can get mexican permits at Amistad Marine.I fish in Mexico and have had no problems-----yet!
Posted By: BUNDA

Re: Lake Amistad!!!!!!!!! - 08/31/06 01:43 PM

THIS SOUNDS UNBELIEVABLE!! I HAVE NEVER BOATED OVER 100 BASS IN A DAY. I AM PLANNING A TRIP RIGHT NOW!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum