Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad Report

Posted By: Olin Jensen

Amistad Report - 05/07/13 07:00 PM

7 May 13
It’s been awhile since I got a report out, so this is what I got….. The Big Blue has shrunk just a little currently 60.7ft low. I can tell you we still have plenty of water. I’ve fished this lake since 1994 and the lowest it got in the mid 90’s was 58ft. It fished very easy back then because the fished grouped up in areas and you could whack em. Why isn’t it fishing that easy now? Well a couple reasons, one the water has not been sustained at a constant level long enough. Once the water sustains the fish can set up and we can start growing a little grass. Two we still have fish trying to figure out where they want to spawn. Yes we still have pre spawn fish….. Majority of our fish have spawned but we are still catching females full of eggs (leave the debate that bass spawn more than once). All of our cover is on the bank and the spawning bays and flats the fish have been going to for years are out of the water also. Big fish on this lake have spawned on ledge shelves for years and the same has taken place this year the only problem is less ledges and more fish trying to do it. I’m excited for the future of this fishery, we saw this happen in the late 90’s and once the flood hit and filled the lake 2000-2007 lake catches were record breaking. Amistad will be fine, all lakes cycle. With that being said here’s what’s been working for me.

Shallow pattern- Top water in the morning is finally starting to heat up. Repo man, Spooks, River 2 sea and Sexy dawgs are working, feather on the back hook is key. Square bill bite is also working on shallow flats and points. What brush and trees you can find flip it!

Mid Depth- Points are the ticket anywhere the channel swings up to a point. You may be in 30-80ft of water casting up in 5-15ft. T-rig with a Mag trick worm. The football jig bite has been slow for me compared to years past. Series 5 and 6 cranks have worked well on windy points and middle of ditches.

Deep Pattern- SWIM BAITS! Optimum BLT, Osprey and Top Shelf 5-7 inch baits. This bite is tough but rewarding. Parallel the deep ledges and SLOWLY retrieve the bait and hold on. Remember you are only going for a few bites so patience is key. DD22 and Drop shot have also been working in the ledges.

Hope this helps ya out, and feel free to give me a shout if you are headed down. Tight lines!
Olin Jensen (830)734-8715 Jensensguideservice.com
Posted By: Skip

Re: Amistad Report - 05/07/13 07:37 PM

When I look at the Deablo East webcam it looks like people are parking along the ramp and not having to walk all the way up to the parking lot. Is that correct?
Posted By: Olin Jensen

Re: Amistad Report - 05/07/13 07:51 PM

You have to have a special permit to park there. You can apply for one at the park service.
Posted By: hcbasser

Re: Amistad Report - 05/07/13 09:11 PM

Nice report, sounds like your locked in!

Re: Amistad Report - 05/08/13 12:59 PM

Thanks Olin.
Posted By: skibuck

Re: Amistad Report - 05/09/13 01:59 AM

I was told by a border patrol officer that you have to be handicapped in order to get one of those permits.
Posted By: JesseX

Re: Amistad Report - 05/09/13 02:34 AM

Being mentally handicapped count for ramp parking permit? I know I qualify.

I am going to Amistad in two weeks and I appreciate the intel Olin. If I catch a fish, that is fine. If I don't catch a fish, that is fine too. I won't have to take any phone calls or be at the office. Heaven indeed.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/09/13 01:16 PM

I already have the handicap one from thier parks office. Fuess I'm OK to park there.
Posted By: Timberlake

Re: Amistad Report - 05/14/13 02:56 PM

Anyone know if the Box Canyon ramp is still open and working? Havent been in over a year, and am going this weekend.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/14/13 04:16 PM

http://www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvisit/lake-levels.htm
Schroll down for info. Shows to be closed.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 01:24 AM

Heading there Thursday night and will hit the lake at safe light on Friday.

If I catch a fish, that's okay. If I don't catch a fish, that's okay. I won't be at work.

I hope to return with a lot of pictures to post.

Posted By: txbiologist

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 05:28 AM

Box Closed
Diablo 1 ramp lane shuttle service on weekends
Rough Canyon 1 ramp lane
454 opened 1 ramp lane a little muddy. Parking limited
Didn't go by 406

Was working today and visited all of them.
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 12:53 PM

How is the parking at 454 ?

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 01:29 PM

The area NPS bladed for parking will take about 20 trailers. Might be able to park along the road edge to add a few more. Porta-potties and a courtesy dock.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 01:35 PM

Forgot there is a pretty good dip in the road past the first little concrete bridge, if you're going fast its enough to maybe make the boat come off the ground so slow down at the dip sign. I know because I hit it a little fast.
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 08:17 PM

Thanks will try it out !!!!
Posted By: throwback

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 08:48 PM

Let us hear how you do. We will be going back down the week after fathers day.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Amistad Report - 05/15/13 08:51 PM

Two ramps open for Tournaments. Options - 30 Mile drive to Rough Canyon or Diablo East. Spur 454 is off limits to tourneys.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/16/13 01:26 AM

Think I may do Spur 454. Saw online where there is an Oilman tournament permitted for 300 boats on Amistad this weekend. I sure hope it's not really over 100 boats.

Sucks with large tournaments and dealing with rabid tournament anglers--I used to be one, but not rabid, respected peoples water and NEVER came within 300 feet of another angler.
Posted By: TEAMBIGSTICK

Re: Amistad Report - 05/16/13 02:25 PM

There will be 300, this is a big one . They used to have it at ivie every year.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/16/13 03:14 PM

With the low lake level and the increasing number of oil field folks, the numbers will only increase really making it crowded. I never thought I would wish for a hurricane, but we sure need the water.
Posted By: Timberlake

Re: Amistad Report - 05/16/13 07:26 PM

Yeah, check out the Permian Tournament websitre. They have 275 plus teams even back in 2010. This tournament is legit, changed our plans because of it. That lake will fish small as heck this weekend. Low water, 25 plus mph winds and 300 boats.....no thanks.

Re: Amistad Report - 05/16/13 08:30 PM

Week days are best for Amistad at this time.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Amistad Report - 05/16/13 10:25 PM

Staying far away. Its only 4 miles...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum