Texas Fishing Forum

Lake McQueeney is on fire!!

Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers

Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 04:07 PM

Mcqueeney on Saturday and Yesterday. Saw 1 other fisherman both days and not a whole lot of boat traffic. On Saturday, manged to boat about 15 fish between me and my partner. 20 MPH winds didnt help the fishing any, but had a good day. On Saturday, one of the bass would have went 5 and a half, and the rest were solid 2's and 3's. Yesterday, Same results. Fished from around 6:00pm to around 8:30pm and tore them up. Probably boated another 15, give or take 1 or 2. My buddy boated a 9 1/2 that had already spawned out. If this fish still had eggs, it would have easily went 13#. The rest of the fish were solid 2's and 3's and we both had a great time. Lots of fun. Fish were scattered around the lake, but a majority of them came in the or around the pads using rattletraps, weightless rattlesnakes, and cranks. The big boy hit in one of the coves on the South side of treasure Island on a white spinnerbait with a 10 " powerworm trailer. My buddy also caught 4 huge crappie that easily went 1 and a half lbs around the docks by the bridge on a rattletrap. Like I said, This lake is on fire. Plan on going back this afternoon. pics are to follow. Thanks guys
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 04:16 PM

Cool..I've been trying to get out there. Thinking about heading out there on Sunday.
Posted By: krazyjay302

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 04:50 PM

Do you live on the lake? How did you get a boat on?

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 05:18 PM

I know where the ramp is. You have to have 4x4 but I launch my 20 skeeter there no problem.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 05:20 PM

Ya tamale, the ramp is rough, and 4x4 would be reccomended, but it gets you in Mcqueeney.
Posted By: Arctichawk

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 06:18 PM

Where is this ramp?
Posted By: Mexicajun1

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 07:52 PM

If they tell ya they'd have to kill ya!!!! eek Classified informtaion lol.

Rob
Posted By: bankergonebad

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 08:28 PM

Haha!!

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 08:58 PM

Heading back out there in about an hour and a half. Gonna be huntin' Sharelunker #500!!

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/25/10 09:50 PM

Good luck bud, I heard you get 500 bucks a pound for sharelunker # 500.
Posted By: WahooBob

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 01:06 AM

I want those crappie! Where were ya catching them at? I fish dunlap mostly and there isnt any there and I dont know mcqueeney any help would be great.
Posted By: fishingmanchris

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 02:56 PM

i've been hearing of this ramp that you have to have 4x4 on here a lot would someone tell
Posted By: RaThEr_Be_FiShIn

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:24 PM

hey luger was that you in that white procraft

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:26 PM

what ramp.... i dont know of a ramp...this ramp thing is a myth... this ramp does not exist ok....lol

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:38 PM

Ya ratherbefishin, I've been fishing out of a procraft lately. Headed out there around 630 last night. Only fisherman on the lake. Caught at least 16. All fish were keepers, but nothing big. YET!!!! My cousin was out with me and he caught about a 4 and a half lber, but not the sharelunker i ve been meaning to catch. Most fish were shallow in arround 2 to 4 ft. The lake is down about 2 feet, so if you know that lake, that is low. Shallow cranks and weightless rattlesnakes did the job for us yesterday. As far as the ramp goes, it magically appears when I get there and as soon as I leave it dissapears. Glad this lake is producing the fish it is. I will continue to fish it until the skiers take over and its off to choke for me.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:40 PM

2 more 14 or 15 inch crappies were also caught by my cousin. He is becoming a great crappie fisherman on that lake. all crappie have been caught on rattletraps around small baitfish and underwater brushpiles.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:40 PM

i hear ya luger.

you dont know of a guy named glen fells do ya

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:44 PM

ua have that same problem with that ramp.. its funny me too

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:46 PM

I think I know of a guy named glen fells. If its the same person, he used to always be at the marina drinking him some cold brews. He always had some good stories to tell. Small world if its the same guy. I've been around mcqueeney for along time, so I know the lake well as well as a lot of residence there.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:48 PM

its the same old fart.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/26/10 05:49 PM

i have never seen a man work a stick bait like he did!
Posted By: Nitro240

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/27/10 02:19 AM

Is this a ramp that anyone can use or is it an invite only kinda thing. My buddy and I would like to try this lake but everyone is saying there are no ramps.

Posted By: ILive2Fish

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/27/10 05:24 AM

Seems to me ya might could look on Google Earth and scan the lake and river until you found a likely candidate for the boat ramp. Just a hunch .... Maybe worth a try?
Posted By: Hoosier Daddy

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/28/10 09:18 PM

725 to CR353 to terminal loop rd. There are concrete ramps next to an RV Park. I haven't been there in 2 years but it used to be $5 to launch and your right next to the lake portion with treasure island in the middle. You'll be driving through a neighborhood so it won't seem right, but it will come up on your right eventually. Have fun.
Posted By: nb_one

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/28/10 11:10 PM

Hoosier Daddy - That stuff was shut down awhile ago. There is only one available ramp that I know about and it's tough to launch. A buddy and I launched his 17' glass boat there. It's about 2 FOW or less. I would not launch my 21' Skeeter there but that's just me.

Nitro240 - PM sent
Posted By: Skeeter Tim

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/29/10 12:22 AM

Found one ramp saturday afternoon. Take Lakecreek Dr off of 725, turn left at Ridgecliff and it will run into a ramp. The ramp is steep and pretty rough. I don't know about launching a ZX250, but there was a 4 Runner with a Ranger trailer in a grass parking area. Not sure how secure the area is. Good Luck.
Posted By: nb_one

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/29/10 01:06 AM

Yep, it's shallow alright and you have to make sure the rocks are in the right place before you back down.

I think I'll try to make friends with someone that is a member of the Ski Club so I can use that ramp for my ZX250. It's a nice little lake before the party starts out there smile

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/30/10 03:02 AM

Heard from a friend who lives in the subdivision that some neighbors are starting to get unhappy about everyone starting to use that ramp. Apparantly some not so "clean and friendly" looking fellas have been using the ramp alot and police are starting to patrol the area.

He mentioned they may chain it up soon, so u better get while the getting is still there. If anyone launches a 20ft boat with dual axle trailer from there let us know how it goes. We've launched a friend of mines older 17ft triton, and needed 4 wheel drive. Not sure I want to try mine
I've got sometimes access to a private ramp but I hate using it.
Posted By: HENDO

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/30/10 03:04 AM

is it a public ramp?? if so the neighbors can get perturbed all they please...
Posted By: Dubdee0311

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/30/10 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Hendo
is it a public ramp?? if so the neighbors can get perturbed all they please...

No, it's not a public ramp.

Thats why everyone has been so tight-lipped about it for so long. As soon as its made common knowledge it will get closed. At first the neighbors didn't mind, but I'm sure with more and more people showing up and parking all over the place, making noise, and leaving trash they will change their minds.

It's not a public ramp.
Theres no parking. (Room for 2 trucks with trailers max.)
The ramp is washed out and could very well give you a flat, get you stuck, or break your trailer.
You have to have a 4x4 to pull your boat out.
Its up river and very shallow, you have to idle atleast past the next bend in the river before getting up on plane.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 03/30/10 05:57 PM

Well from the sounds of it they will probably be closing it soon, that was pretty much the same situation when the rv park/campground closed, we used to be able to put in there for free, as long as we never left a mess or caused probs. But that didn't last long thanks to others who can't seem to pick up after themselves.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 12:30 AM

bump.bump.bump. Love this lake, would love to hear more stories about it.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 04:31 PM

well that sucks. so there is no public access to this lake? how can that be?
Posted By: Steven168

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 05:03 PM

Wait, so if it is NOT a public boat ramp....who owns it? I was under the impression that the GBRA owns it. Where are the fancy gates that keep the public from entering a lake that was created for flood control? Why aren't we writing to TPWD to tell them to STOP stocking the lake, if our fees contribute to stocking a private lake? I understand people NOT choosing to go because of all the rec boaters out there (keeping the fish spooked, too much wake, so on....), but if there is no public access, there should be no use of public funds, correct? Okay, so I'm not trying to sound bitter, but just trying to see if my point make sense. It may not, because there will be others that can see it from another point of view, but let's have a decent discussion about this and find out what we can do to acquire access if our public funds go towards keeping the lake stocked. If we can't, I would rather my cash go to stocking lakes that I have access to. Not trying to sound like a jerk......just asking the question. Any thoughts, or inputs would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I've caught my PB blue cat on that lake.
Steven
Posted By: Grant2

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Steven168
Wait, so if it is NOT a public boat ramp....who owns it? I was under the impression that the GBRA owns it. Where are the fancy gates that keep the public from entering a lake that was created for flood control? Why aren't we writing to TPWD to tell them to STOP stocking the lake, if our fees contribute to stocking a private lake? I understand people NOT choosing to go because of all the rec boaters out there (keeping the fish spooked, too much wake, so on....), but if there is no public access, there should be no use of public funds, correct? Okay, so I'm not trying to sound bitter, but just trying to see if my point make sense. It may not, because there will be others that can see it from another point of view, but let's have a decent discussion about this and find out what we can do to acquire access if our public funds go towards keeping the lake stocked. If we can't, I would rather my cash go to stocking lakes that I have access to. Not trying to sound like a jerk......just asking the question. Any thoughts, or inputs would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I've caught my PB blue cat on that lake.
Steven

+1
Posted By: Steven168

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 05:15 PM

Guys, PLEASE don't take this as an irritated thread. I'm just asking the question that if the lake is completely private, is it publicly funded? Solid question?
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 06:08 PM

There was a or is a town hall type meeting (GBRA)about mcqueeny about this very issue.. I could be wrong but remember reading a statement from tpwd that stocking has stopped since there is not access(public)... I ll see if i can dig up the info for everyone.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 08:45 PM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0487

25 share lunker adult bass were stocked in 2007

40,000 largemouth fingerlings stocked in 2005

I wouldn't mind having a shot at some of those fish we paid for.
Posted By: anglinglegend

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 08:59 PM

He's correct, the launch off of 725 and terminal loop has been shut down for about a year and a half. Some snobby old jerk bought it and while he had the property under construction he came speeding up to me and my dad while we were trying to launch from there. At the time there were no private property signs posted and my dad was a police officer for 40 yrs. The guy ran his mouth and we told him where he could stick his property. I haven't heard of any other ramps on the lake. I know that old man despises bass fisherman having the freedom to use a lake he and the others that have property there feel they own. It was rumored to me that somewhere on the lake Teas Transportation was going to build a cut through overpass and on the underside they were going to put a public access boat ramp. I sure wish they would so I could go by his property and drop my X-mas tree right in front of his place and sit out there and catch fish all day long just to make him mad. I'm a little bitter.
Posted By: fishinnb

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 10:26 PM

that property is for sale now. and don't bother calling the ski club unless you want to shell out cash for the annual membership.
that ramp everyone is talking about is an old homeowners neighborhood ramp that has gotten run down. don't need 4x4 unless you have a larger boat. i know a few folks in that neighborhood that said they didn't mind people launching as long as they respected the property. too bad we cant pick up our trash. not anyone on this forum, but word speads fast about a good fishing hole.
if you can't make it to the meeting contact david welsch at dwelsch@grba.com
he was part of a survey a few months ago about access, erosion control and traffic on the river lakes.
sorry, im a little bitter too. i grew up fishing this lake and eating catfish at hotshots.
good fishing everyone

doug
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 11:53 PM

yeah, i had a buddy who lived in the neighborhood where that ramp was, it sure was crappie. they use to launch a direct drive 21' wakeboard boat from there, but it was scary. i launched my boat from there as well and just drove the boat to the dock, and the truck to the house. i can see how neighbors would be getting ticked off with a bunch of people showing up and parking.

as far as other public ramps, there are none. my other buddy's parents live on the lake and i launch with them. great lake for sure, just no access.
Posted By: WhataBass

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/02/10 11:57 PM

Man I haven't been to McQueeney since early childhood... I barely remember it...
Posted By: Goat Farmer

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/05/10 09:10 PM

FYI - from the Friends of McQueeney lake email:

Hello,

The ramp situation on the lake has been a problem since McQueeney Marina closed a while back. The only ramps on the lake right now are those that are on private property, belong to various subdivisions, and at Lake Breeze Ski Lodge, which is a private club. The Guadalupe Blanco River Authority (GBRA) is looking into public ramp possibilities, but we haven't heard anything new about that yet. There is limited public land and it is would be up to the state to secure property and build a ramp and parking, etc. No one has yet built a fee based private ramp similar to what McQueeney Marina used to have. So basically, unless you are a member of the ski lodge, own property in a subdivision with a ramp on the lake, or know someone who does, it's a problem launching a boat right now. When something changes, we will post it on our website.
Posted By: chascat

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/06/10 01:29 AM

Thanks for the ramp update Goat Farmer. Good Day,
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/06/10 01:37 AM

Thanks GF for the update!

Seems like maybe that ski lodge is missing an opportunity to make some additional monies in the meanwhile to help out on their expenses on upkeep!

Could be they have enough money they just don't need anymore, which must be nice!
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/06/10 06:40 PM

Jimbo, the lodge's way of thinking isn't to help people get their boat in the water, it's to keep the boats out. Mc queeny is becoming a special elite 'members only' type lake and they want it that way. If their members can't go to the lake with out it being swamped by all the 'public boats' they will likely stop paying their membership fees and go somewhere else. The sad thing is yes, it's public water, but no one wants it open to the public, and I will even venture to say that 99% of the boating community on the lake enjoys it that way.
Posted By: McCloud

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/07/10 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: cocodrie
Jimbo, the lodge's way of thinking isn't to help people get their boat in the water, it's to keep the boats out. Mc queeny is becoming a special elite 'members only' type lake and they want it that way. If their members can't go to the lake with out it being swamped by all the 'public boats' they will likely stop paying their membership fees and go somewhere else. The sad thing is yes, it's public water, but no one wants it open to the public, and I will even venture to say that 99% of the boating community on the lake enjoys it that way.

THAT is what I believe also!
Posted By: coach61

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/07/10 04:44 PM

Okay now I'm hungry. The mention of Hotshots sent images of a nice thick juicy hamburger to my brain and stomach. Use to go and order one and fish the pads while it was cooking.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/07/10 09:32 PM

Not only the burgers, dont forget about the Friday night fish fry. Hot Shots was a great place!! The pads there were never my favorite, but always caught good fish there.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/08/10 01:37 PM

Here is a public information person you might send a message to if you want.

Yolanda Pierce [ypierce@gbra.org]
Posted By: SetTheHook2010

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/09/10 09:06 PM

Need to Find this ramp, That lake has not seen much pressure, but just skiers!!(Dang them). I used to fish that lake alot, even won my first Tournament there when the folks there used to put on around oct. been a few years. but would love to fish it again.
By the way, will be fishing tourney on Coleto Creek on 4/9/10 and will post a lil lake report, till then SetTheHook!!

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/12/10 02:27 PM

Anybody go to the lions club meeting?? would like to know what they had on the agenda?

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/14/10 02:34 PM

I found the ramp---I don't think I will put in there due to the rocks and the limited parking. Also the neighborhood is a ??? mark to me.

Anyone e-mail the address I gave? I did and have yet to recieve a reply. Also does anyone have an email address at TP&W where I could send a post concerning the ability to not having a public ramp.

Anyone know the outdoor writer at the statesman? Maybe he could mention it in the paper and get some of the yuppies up there riled up.

Headed to Placid tomorrow---at least I can get on that one at the bridge.
Posted By: Nitro Dan

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/14/10 03:40 PM

I went down this road last year and could not get a legit answer. Here is one of the folks I emailed.

Tbeutnagel@gbra.org It's a gal (Tammy Buetnagel) that works at the river authority.
Posted By: LunkerNut

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/14/10 08:38 PM

Outdoor writer for newspaper is Ray Austin. AKA "Topcat" Guide service. Google him and his website will come up with email address. I went to that ramp for the first time today. It was horrible. Concrete all missing and giant holes below water line. Luckily I have a small boat and didn't mind risking damaging my trailer at least this once. Fishing was good but catching wasn't very good. We did catch a nice catfish on a crank bait.
Posted By: TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 09:31 AM

Wow, been awhile since I have been on the TFF. Nice to see the Mcqueeney debate back open again. Good luck with this one. I put in at the "Ragged Ramp" about 20 times this winter, its too rough and I care too much for my equipment.

I have raved in several of my columns in the New Braunfels based paper, The Herald-Zeitung. My editor gives me quite a bit of leadway and actually I was shocked a few times when I ranted about GBRA and their lack of movement on Mcqueeney and it published. Just last week (thanks gary)I found out about them dropping Lake Dunlap 2' during the late bass spawn (absolutely nuts). I have written a few columns on GBRA's poor management, small newspaper and not much coverage area. Fishing with Mike Leggett at Buchanan and was going to drop this in his lap (huge water quality outdoor writer for Statesman and stand up guy for the angler) then the rain hit and I never got to ask him his opinion or ask for help.
Those of you that sent emails to GBRA, let me know if you get an answer. I sent emails to several people at GBRA, no answer. I sent a ten question email to several people at GBRA, no answer. I sent an email to TPWD first and received this back in December from TPWD, basically in the hands of a poorly run GBRA. Anglers are the minority and as long as the tenants are getting their scheduled water level drops to "DO DAM MAINTAINENCE" aka "homeowners working on docks" GBRA does not have that many complaints, they believe they are there for the public. My beefs are not with the homeowners (several are my customers), just GBRA. This was taken straight from my column, once I find the one from the Town Hall meeting I will post it:

I sent an email concerning the access, or lack there of, to Lake Mcqueeney to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. My questions were passed to the fisheries biologist John Findeisen. John was in charge of the fisheries at the lake prior to the public losing access. This is a matter that requires public input and again, Guadalupe Blanco River Authority is in charge of the solution to this problem. You have to believe that access to one of our public lakes being cut off is hard to swallow. I myself cannot understand why or how the state cannot just step in and put in a concrete ramp, build a lot for parking, and turn us loose to fish the mystery lake. The landowners on the lake probably enjoy the privacy and they have nothing to do with the anglers not getting to fish the lake, completely out of their hands. Friends of Lake Mcqueeney has done a great job helping to keep the lake clean during the public’s absence.

Questions: How long has the lake been without a public boat ramp?
Answers: Public access to Lake McQueeney was discontinued in the Summer 2008, when the Lake McQueeney RV Park was sold. Prior to selling, the Lake McQueeney RV Park owned and maintained a private boat ramp that the public could use on a pay-per-use basis. The new owner of the park is no longer allowing the public to use this private ramp to access the lake.

Q: Are there any plans for a public boat ramp to be built on the lake?
A: This is a question that GBRA will have to answer since they are the controlling authority for the lake. Contact David Welsh at (830) 379-5822. I know that GBRA is conducting a use study on lakes Dunlap, McQueeney and Placid and is looking at the possibility of building a boat ramp based on the results of the study. Additionally, GBRA is accepting applications from subdivisions with boat ramps that would allow the public to use. However, no applications have been submitted at this time.

Q: What will it take for the public to help in getting the process started?
A: Again another question for GBRA. GBRA has contacted several angling groups as part of the survey. Tim Cook, Texas' BASS Conservation Director, help provide information concerning many of the angling groups.

Q: Without access to the lake we have no idea what condition the fishery is in, any ideas on that?
A:The fisheries were last surveyed in the Fall 2007 (electrofishing and trap net). The last gill net survey was conducted in Spring 2006. The fisheries were in great shape at those times

Q: How did the public access to the lake just "get cut off"?
A: The ramp was always private but the Lake McQueeney RV Park allowed public access on a pay-per-use basis. When the park was sold, the new owner discontinued public access.

Q: How is it that landowners can keep the lake to themselves and be the only entity that will allow others onto the lake?
A: Unlike lakes Dunlap and Placid there is not a public boat ramp on Lake McQueeney.

Q: Do Game Wardens monitor the lake on a steady basis?
A: Please contact Capt. Danny Villalobos for information concerning Game Wardens. Lake McQueeney is still considered public water for the purposes of game, fish, and boating laws

Q: Which of our wardens monitor the lake?
A: Please contact Capt. Danny Villalobos. I found Danny’s phone number on the TPWD website: 210-348-7375

Q: Your long term views on keeping lakes open to the public?
A: TPWD does strongly support public access to public waters in Texas. We provide grants to local communities for boat ramp construction and repair (see http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/grants/trpa/#boatramp). We have various programs to encourage public fishing and provide public access, including Neighborhood Fishin' (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/urban_catfish.phtml) where we partner with local city park ponds and others. Free Fishing in State Parks (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/familyfish/ which waives fishing license requirements within the boundaries of state parks and provides free instructional how-to events for families and novice anglers. These are just a few examples. See the TPWD Web site boating and fishing sections for more, or go to www.lifesbetteroutside.org for our one-stop resource for family-oriented outdoor recreation, including fishing. You can reach John at: TPWD Inland Fisheries District 1E 361-547-9712

My opinion is just that, an opinion. Our lakes are not our lakes. Why is GBRA conducting a study into allowing public access to the lake? Bottom line, it is a public lake and if they cannot make it public then they need to update their website to “private lake, open to some of the public”. They are the Owner/Operators of Lake Mcqueeney…what gives? I have yet to see, correct me if I am wrong, a major improvement in boat docks at their lakes. I launch, tie up to a bank or concrete wall, then walk off and watch as my boat is beat up against both. I wonder how much money the study into putting in a public ramp is going to end up costing. Perhaps the price of a ramp and parking lot? How much do they help the bankfisherman? Everyone I see is fishing from right around the boat launch area on Dunlap and Placid. You are confined to an area less than one percent of the total shoreline of the lake. For what its worth, I guess steps are needed, the study is taking your private input and this is how you get your personal survey. Email David Welsch with GBRA and he will send you a survey, dwelsch@gbra.org.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 10:10 AM

GBRA is one of the quietest entities I have ever seen. One positive I have seen is them leaving the gates open on Canyon Lake during the summer for trout to have cold water, bravo. This was not based on the trout, it was based on keeping the water flowing downstream to sell more water.

March 2nd column (Town Hall Meeting at Lions Club):

Still not sure what Guadulupe Blanco River Authority has planned as how there were no concrete answers given at the last meeting. Talk of more studies into whether a ramp on Lake McQueeney is a good idea. They showed pictures of crowded lakes and talked about possibly limiting the use of personal watercraft (jet fleas) on big holiday weekends. There was talk about inexperienced boaters on the lakes. Is this all new?? They are going to have questionnaires at the lakes on the big weekends. Why?? Your best bet is to not have one of the people ask me a question about 7am before my first Dr. Pepper. I can get long winded and it might turn into a question and question session. I don’t have questions I have answers for GBRA. Save our money on studies and put the money that you are investing in these dadburn studies and build something. Put in a good public ramp and allow public fishing access area at Lake McQueeney, Placid, and Dunlap. Build docks for boats at all three lakes ramps. I am going out on a limb here, the cost of these three would probably be right at or below the cost of the studies that you have spent our money on. Open the lakes and then do your study, don’t guess on what would happen if. Clean your own lakes, you make the decisions on the lake so its your lake to clean. Don’t depend on residents and locals to clean the lakes up for free. I would love to hear a concrete answer. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has funds set up to help put in new boat ramps on lakes, perhaps both GBRA and TPWD could build something together.

Texas Parks and Wildlife can then take care of the policing of the lake. Its amazing how a ticket will make a rookie boater learn or a jet skier quit cutting in front of boats, scratch the last part, you must be able to read what the ticket says. The Game Wardens are here to help in the effort to make lakes safe.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 10:32 AM

Keep up the fight. My solution, If you drive to the Bandit golf course and look at their pond that they get their water from you will notice it is tied into Mcqueeney by a 15' wide navigable channel(I know this because I have taken my boat in there). There is plenty of room for a parking lot and a ramp in that location. I can only imagine the chemicals running off into the lake. I am thinking a good fair trade would be to dredge that 3' deep area and build a ramp and parking lot in exchange for TPWD furnishing them a good water quality control biologist to keep their pollution fines to a minimum.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 02:42 PM

Great story topcat. I agree with everything you say 100%. It is wrong how the GBRA can do some of the stuff that they do. All their studies are bogus and a way out of a difficult situation. As for the ramp by the golf course, sounds like a good place to put it. Dont matter where they put it at, as long as they get one there soon. Great insights, keep writing your opinions and someone will step to the plate!!

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 02:58 PM

Good info Topcat.

I just got this today. Doesn't look too promising.

"Forgive the delay in answering your question. GBRA has been working with a consultant on a boating capacity study on all of the six GBRA hydroelectric lakes. Public access was included in the study. We are aware that access is limited on Lake McQueeney, but at this time GBRA has no plans on building a public boat ramp on the lake."

BTW--below is a name and info for all that want to carry this to a higher level.

Yolanda M. Pierce

Operations Assistant

Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority

(830) 379-5822 x 271

ypierce@gbra.org

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 04:17 PM

What it boils down to is a political issue!

Someone with deep pockets is going to have to donate to someones campaign and ask for a favor to get that kind of thing done.

Follow the money!

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 08:04 PM

pass the buck

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/21/10 10:33 PM

Don't rock the boat!

Also.....Don't bite the hand that feeds you!
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/22/10 01:47 AM

Plainly said Ray.
How about some fishing reports!

Kevin
Posted By: And Mye

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/22/10 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay
GBRA is one of the quietest entities I have ever seen. One positive I have seen is them leaving the gates open on Canyon Lake during the summer for trout to have cold water, bravo. This was not based on the trout, it was based on keeping the water flowing downstream to sell more water.

I thought GBRA had no hand in flow regulation out of Canyon. Thought the corps of engineers controlled that.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/22/10 12:26 PM

I assume that the corps of engineers controll the actual operation of the dam, but GBRA is the one that tells them how much water to release in order to meet it's requirements.

That's just my opinion of course!

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/25/10 09:48 PM

ttt

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/26/10 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers
ttt

what was that for?? did you fish it this weekend?

i went out last monday and the lake was like chocolate milk from all the rains. has it improved since then?
Posted By: mochbar

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/28/10 10:36 PM

as of this morning still chocolate milk.

Re: Lake McQueeney is on fire!! - 04/29/10 02:10 AM

Yes, it will be chocolate for a while. This lake takes a while to clear up after a storm. Dunlap clears fairly fast, but placid and mcqueeney always seem to stay dirty longer!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum