Texas Fishing Forum

White Bass Run @ Three Rivers

Posted By: El Lobo

White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/17/10 12:06 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the white bass kicking off in the river below Three Rivers. When will they start? fish
Posted By: fishman

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/17/10 12:54 PM

Water Temps need to be around 60 no reports
Posted By: ssj3goten

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/18/10 07:47 PM

I fished the San Gabriel creek just down the road from the wildlife ramp at Choke yesterday. From 1130-1530 totaled 9 keepers 12-15" and a couple of throw backs. The fishing was fair and only once did I get back-to-back fish. They are there lots of movement in the water but the water is murky. I used white and chartreuse grubs and tiny ikas. All were males so the real run has not started. I fished Tips park for maybe 15 min on the way out saw small to me undersized whites being caught. I was fishing just up from the bridge there is an island and I caught most just up from the small rapids to where the island starts. I also waded and fished on the back side of island as well.
Posted By: Kyle46N

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/18/10 09:53 PM

Where is this at? Is this near the Daughtery WMA? I'm looking at the map, and there is a creek that runs under farm to market 3445 before it gets to the San Miguel bridge. Is this it?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/18/10 10:32 PM

Go to Google earth and look at the Choke Canyon spillway and follow the river to Three Rivers and look right where it crosses hwy 72.

Tips park is the park on the left just out outside of Three rivers when you drive over the bridge headed toward Choke look to your left and you'll see the park. Those fish come up the Nueces and travel into the Frio which runs into the Nueces a ways down stream of the park.

The water usually has to be pretty high for the whites to get up that far in the river so if they are in there, then they are in the Nueces down at the AirPort launch as well.

Don't let a little off color water fool you, they are in there and will bite. After all they have to eat, so use a spinner like a roadrunner. Something that gives off lots of flash and vibration and they will find it.
Posted By: Kyle46N

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/18/10 11:14 PM

Thanks a bunch Jimbo...I was thinking the same thing....there should be fish at the Airport launch. I'll post a report tomorrow evening.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/18/10 11:20 PM

Small baits work well in white or chartruse! Basically fish the same as you do for the trout!

Also troll from the time you launch to wherever you are going. A rod with a white roadrunner draging behind you canoe is all you need since the water is fairly shallow with consistent depth of about three to four maybe five feet in the deeper pools.

That will be your fish locator. Get a bite and cast around in that spot a while since they tend to bunch up (school).
Posted By: ssj3goten

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/19/10 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Kyle46N
Where is this at? Is this near the Daughtery WMA? I'm looking at the map, and there is a creek that runs under farm to market 3445 before it gets to the San Miguel bridge. Is this it?

It is just past the Daughtery WMA on 3445. I fished just upstream from the bridge.

Posted By: Inner Sanctum of Slime

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/21/10 12:58 AM

went and tried my luck today. no luck maybe try again tomorrow.
Posted By: SA Bass'n

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/21/10 01:22 AM

I went to Choke today. I stopped by the store in Tilden and asked them about the little creek. There were probaby 10-15 trucks there at 7:30am. The guy at the store told me that there were people there at 4:30 this morning. I've heard great things about that little creek (thought it was a bit of a secret). I haven't gone down, but it is hard to believe that there isn't too much going on down there when you see that many cars parked by the road. Not really my style, but if you are looking to fill a cooler, you should stop asking about this place and just go out there and join the fun before its over. Easy to find...just drive to Tilden down 16 and stop when you see a stack of trucks parked on the side of the road. Good Luck.
Posted By: BUSHWACKER

Re: White Bass Run @ Three Rivers - 02/21/10 01:31 AM

the wife and i went to choke today, put in at the daughtry, went up river and only caught 6 ,14-16 ins, one male the rest were females, the water is still very muddy. we were using silver and blue cicadas, other people were catching about the same number of fish, using blue rattle traps and the wife caught hers on silver little george. the water temp was 56, need a few more sunny days...but at least it's a start to the run.....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum