Texas Fishing Forum

CANYON LAKE

Posted By: Timberlake

CANYON LAKE - 08/27/08 10:31 AM

Well, I have a little bit of renewed faith in Canyon after my trip last night. Fished from 7 till dark and had a good trip-first one in a while. Caught approx 25 fish, almost all on topwater. Seems like this last blast of rainstorms has the fish tricked into thinking it is fall already. The water temp has cooled down a little, but there are schools of shad everywhere close to the surface. First fish on topwater was the best, right at 3 1/2 lbs. Caught 90% of my fish in less than 2 ft, the fish were right next to the bank in some cases. Did catch 2 or three on a shakey head, but it's hard to put down a topwater when they are biting like they were. Caught all topwater fish on a Nichols Hologram Pop-U-Lure. This has been the best topwater bait on Canyon for me. I have caught approx. 80% of my largest fish on this lure out at Canyon. Threw a spook, but couldn't get them to look at it.

Hope this keeps up, if so I will be heading out more often.
Posted By: robertd2119

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/27/08 12:04 PM

Great report Timberlake..Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Crumple Chrome

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/28/08 04:48 AM

Awesome report I'll probably be headed out there friday morning. if the bite slows might go for some cats
Posted By: fishinnb

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/28/08 09:49 AM

glad to hear a good report, after this weekend canyon only gets better. i'm looking foward to the die down of traffic. in town and on the lake!

Posted By: swampcat

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/28/08 11:15 AM

timber - still going to be around tonight? i plan on going. hope the thunder stays away..

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/28/08 11:20 AM

Thinking about it. If I don't go this afternoon, I am definetely going to make a morning trip this weekend. Actually a little optimistic to head out to Canyon.
Posted By: Skeeter14

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/28/08 09:03 PM

Timber,

Went out this morning and I was also impressed. I also had a lot of hits on a popper but had a hard time getting them in the boat. I got surrounded by shad at one point and I thought they were going to jump in the boat. It was a feeding frenzy, I haven't seen action like that on Canyon before. Also had good luck after the sun was high on a Rapala DT-10. Just burnin' it along the bottom in 8-15 ft.

Hope that it's a sign of a good fall to come.
Posted By: Stogie

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 12:20 AM

I am going Sat. morning

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 12:25 AM

Good to kno Skeeter. I think that if the weather stays in the lower 90's it should stay the same for a while. I hear you about the loss ratio on the topwaters. The poppers I have been using come with no#4 Gamagatsu's and I think it makes a BIG difference on getting them to the boat. I have been to Amisatd before throwing spooks with premium hooks and land one in ten, so you never know.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 03:52 AM

Sweet. I'll be on the water about 8 am as soon as I get off work. Its great to hear good news from canyon!

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Crumple Crome
Sweet. I'll be on the water about 8 am as soon as I get off work. Its great to hear good news from canyon!

I will be in the water by 6 am I will be in the blue, black, silver Champion w/150 Merc XR6.

Stop & say hey.

Good luck.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:25 PM

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=146949&size=1

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:27 PM

Well, that is the first pic I have put on here. Hope I didn't scr*w it up too bad. That is a pic of my boat, come say hello if you see me out there.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:28 PM

timber, cannot get to open?

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:46 PM

[img]http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2733298840103945401TswuxS[/img].

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:48 PM

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2733298840103945401TswuxS

try that??

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:48 PM

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2733298840103945401TswuxS

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:49 PM

Hopefully it worked this time. Not the greatest at posting pics if you can't tell.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:50 PM

nice ride..

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 04:58 PM

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/basscatsmeow/PIVathome.jpg
Posted By: rhoffart

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 05:05 PM

I'll be in the yellow kayak ... please don't run me over ... thanks

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 05:16 PM

just don't come with in 50 feet of me with a wakeboarder attached to that yellow kayak when i am fishing... duel

cheers

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 06:44 PM

What year is that Basscat? Not many dealers around these parts.

Good looking boat, don't think I have seen you out there.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 08:09 PM

well timberlake, you must have some good honey holes. me and fishin4gvd hit the water about 830. I started with a rapala skitter pop with only one hit. Threw everything today...senko, shaky head, T-rigged worms, crank baits. All with very little success. only caught 2 fish, only one was a keeper. All on T-rigged worms. had a huge bite that broke my line(14lb flouro)!!! that was bout it. My partner threw spinners and grubs came out with 2 unders on grubs. Was a tough day, hope yours was better

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 08:15 PM

Timber didn't see your post before going out but I'll look for you next time. Here is my old but good ride. cool

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 08:56 PM

timber - it be a 06.. i like it..

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Brewer
just don't come with in 50 feet of me with a wakeboarder attached to that yellow kayak when i am fishing... duel

cheers

don't think you'll be wakeboarding where I will be ... way up in the trees lizard

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 10:37 PM

the other day up in toms creek (stump city with the low water now) about 200 yards past and into the no wake bouys, had some guys were wake boarding.. they came about 50 yards from me. they waved, i just looked. i cannot believe they did not put a stump through their hull..
Originally Posted By: rhoffart

cheers

don't think you'll be wakeboarding where I will be ... way up in the trees lizard

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 11:39 PM

yes there are a few crazy ones ... but if you go far enough up Toms Creek you can get away from them. Going up there with a kayak and seeing all the stumps just under the surface ... I would never take a powerboat in there ... and yes I wish more people knew where the no-wake bouys were

Posted By: ELH

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/29/08 11:40 PM

I went out Thur AM at daylight for a couple of hours. Caught 2 small lmbs on main lake point near comal park. White popper - 2 to 6ft deep. Tossed them back for another time.

Caught 1 keeper smb on rock ledge 8 ft deep on a red-eyed shad. The only one there. Thru him back.

I caught one small lmb with a chrome topedo. broke off white grub on a hook with a chrome torpedo. The little bugger was hungry -it had a white grub and hook it broke off on somebody. Remove the topedo and the grub and tossed him back. I made it's day.

Will be out in the morning with my son to try again. We will be in a white/maroon Nitro/90 Merc.

Keep what you need and toss back the rest. We need to get the numbers and sizes up on this lake. I'm ready to catch more than dink fish.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: ELH

Keep what you need and toss back the rest. We need to get the numbers and sizes up on this lake. I'm ready to catch more than dink fish.

I hear that I'd like to see a slot limit. Maybe on smallies and LMB. You could still keep the guads... Just my 2 cents

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 04:06 PM

went out this am till 11. caught 6 dinks, no keepers. fished north east side lake around island in and out of the trees. all caught on texas baby creature wrf. also threw pop r, senko's, lizards, and bone rattletrap, nada. water is low, lots of exposed hanging, lines, ropes and rusted hooks out there. sure looks terrible. be careful.
Posted By: BassCat307

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 08:09 PM

That is some nice pics of the boats Where do most of the guys launch. I normally launch at Tom Creek or Little Jacobs. The water is gettin pretty low and there may be more ramps closing soon.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 08:25 PM

We launched from

Potters Creek ramp at about 6:30 am, air temp about 74, wind at 3 mph and the water was like glass.

Looked for schooling baitfish in 4 different coves-found none.

Fished topwater, buzzbaits, worm, jig & craw, shallow crankbait & swimbaits. Fished deep, shallow, drop offs, trees and brush & rocky points, nothing.

Then I pulled out my 3/8 oz, white body, white skirt with a red eye- spinnerbait and caught 7 bass from 2 lbs to ½ lb. Missed about 5 or 6 and had 2-3 quick releases. All in 2-4 foot of water. Casting to the bank and ripping it past stick ups.

Jet fleas and skiers started about 9:30 but were very light.

Headed to Canyon Park Marina about 11:00 for lunch and made it back to load up about 12:15 and finally got loaded about 1:00. 45 minute wait for all the ski boats and jet fleas totally taking up the ramp and the docks.

Here a few pics.

Posted By: cellis

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 08:45 PM

Nice Stogie. Are those trees behind you in 4 feet of water?

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: cellis
Nice Stogie. Are those trees behind you in 4 feet of water?

4-8 ft.
Posted By: cellis

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/30/08 09:16 PM

Gotcha

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/31/08 11:07 AM

i launch at skyline. sure wish someone would drag the no wake buoys back out, about 100 yards or so, like where they have been the past several years. wakeboard boats come by and creat huge waves at the loading dock. these wakeboard waves i am sure have also pushed one or two party boats into the rocks as well, while trying to load on the trailer??

would guess the water can drop 1 1/2 - 2 more feet before they close skyline??

Originally Posted By: BassCat307
That is some nice pics of the boats Where do most of the guys launch. I normally launch at Tom Creek or Little Jacobs. The water is gettin pretty low and there may be more ramps closing soon.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/31/08 03:20 PM

[quote=Brewer]i launch at skyline. sure wish someone would drag the no wake buoys back out, about 100 yards or so, like where they have been the past several years. wakeboard boats come by and creat huge waves at the loading dock. these wakeboard waves i am sure have also pushed one or two party boats into the rocks as well, while trying to load on the trailer??

would guess the water can drop 1 1/2 - 2 more feet before they close skyline??

Which ramp do you call Skyline? I have never heard of any ramp by that name.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/31/08 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat307

I try to stay away from Corps. ramps as they do not open until 7am and they charge. Pickens are very slim as the only public ramps open are #1, #6, #8 & #21., that makes every ramp pretty busy on the weekends.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/31/08 03:24 PM

bottom right corner of the lake, south of the dam (D2) with the water low now, it is pretty much of a one lane ramp. when backing down, use the outside edge, but beware how it has a drop off on the "lake" side. back in far as you need, no drop off there. water is clear, you can see. no charge ramp. just full of ski/wake boats at noontime and after.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/canyon/access.phtml

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/31/08 03:44 PM

bottom right corner of the lake, south of the dam (D2) with the water low now, it is pretty much of a one lane ramp. when backing down, use the outside edge, but beware how it has a drop off on the "lake" side. back in far as you need, no drop off there. water is clear, you can see. no charge ramp. just full of ski/wake boats at noontime and after.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/canyon/access.phtml

Try the other ramps as none of them are in as bad a shape a D2 or we call it ramp #1.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 08/31/08 04:14 PM

thumb i will stick with skyline... i have no probs with it
Originally Posted By: Stogie

Try the other ramps as none of them are in as bad a shape a D2 or we call it ramp #1.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/01/08 01:02 AM

I went out Sat.morning and had a blast. The weather was great for a change and no traffic. Caught 16 fish from 7:30 till 11. Caught most fish on the Pop-U-Lure topwater and some on football jigs and shakey heads. I did have a heart breaker though. Broke off the largest fish I have had on out there. Flipped into the second hardwood,set the hook and never budged this fish. When the line broke he turned broad side, easily 7-8 lbs. Really a nice trip, I like all of the visible cover out there right now. I am looking forward to this fall, should be a good one.
Posted By: wug

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/01/08 11:31 AM

Hey Timber,
what color topwater is working...last time there Excaliber Tennesee shad popper was my best producer(lots of little ones)Sorry to hear about that big one that got away...I've seen one big fish on Canyon in all the years I've fished there and it was coming up to eat the bluegill I had hooked on a t/r worm...saw me and took off. I am coming up on the 19th for few days. c'mon rain!

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/01/08 12:46 PM

i agree on the rain thing....

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/01/08 02:26 PM

Gettin low for sure. I am surprised to see all of the hardwoods poking out now. A few are in places I have blazed through before, not sure how I haven't hit one before. Trying to make note of where things are for when the water goes up. Feeling better about Canyon for a change. Oh, the color I have my best luck on is holgram/black back or chrome black back.
Posted By: SportFisher63

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/01/08 09:45 PM

Great reports guys. I will probably be on the lake on Thursday from about 11am to 5pm. Am going to use the Canyon Lake Marina launch, how is that launch...I have a 22' Deckboat and don't want to put it over the end of the ramp.

Thanks,
SportFisher

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/02/08 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SportFisher63
Great reports guys. I will probably be on the lake on Thursday from about 11am to 5pm. Am going to use the Canyon Lake Marina launch, how is that launch...I have a 22' Deckboat and don't want to put it over the end of the ramp.

Thanks,
SportFisher

Most likely ok as it looked good when i ate there sat. Potters #22 had a pontoon stuck sat. It took 5 people to rock it off and i bet they are still trying to load it back on.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/03/08 07:58 PM

I plan on being out there Friday AM and sat AM. Stop and say hello if you see a white cat.
Posted By: challenger

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/17/08 04:07 PM

has anyone been on cayon sence ike hit? what's the fishing like if so?

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/17/08 04:51 PM

any reports? I will be there Friday thru Tuesday! Have no power yet at home...C'mon CenterPoint!

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/17/08 07:23 PM

I will be going Sunday morning.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/17/08 11:25 PM

IKE displaced me from Houston to my house here on the lake. Had no water or electricity.

I went out yesterday morning and this morning. Mostly early topwater next to main lake shore points with trees or stickups. All were throwbacks. Yesterday I did manage to get one 16" fish on the topwater.

I would have thought the norther would change the pattern a bit but it hasn't. It is cooler but not cold.

I tried some deeper water but all of my bites came in shallow water. Dang I would like to find bigger fish but I haven't found the deal just yet. I gotta try different places and techniques I guess.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/18/08 03:46 AM

ELH,

You caught the big ones.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/18/08 06:36 AM

I'll be headed out Friday morning and probably Sunday. If you see an old gray skeeter stop by and say hi. grin

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/18/08 02:34 PM

I am the white Ranger/blue trim/ Tan seats...and Stogie, generally have a cigar with me. Staying at Turkey Cove; say hello if you see me!

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/19/08 07:33 PM

Went out early this morning and caught 8 (12" to 13-1/2") all on topwater. Biggest one was part of a schooling activity around 8:30 AM near timber and 15 ft of water. That was fun while it lasted.
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/20/08 12:36 AM

Can someone tell me where Canyon Lake Park is?

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/20/08 07:43 AM

Friday the bight was slow as usual first fish was a decent perch on a Pop-R. Threw T-rigged worms for a while, 1 hit, no fish. Started using grubs around the marina and stuck 2 LMB, one was 15 inches long. Dropshotted the boat docks and caught 2 more unders. Could have been worse, could have been better, Canyon as usual.

Wug was that you that I was talking to at the ramp? I didn't read your post prior to hitting the water so didn't know what ya looked like.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/20/08 10:15 PM

Crumple which marina you fishing?

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/20/08 11:02 PM

I was out this morning and the bite was pretty good. We caught about 40 fish today. Had a limit by 8,and was able to cull a couple of times for that Canyon Bass Club tourney. 12 lbs and change won that. We ended up right at 9lbs before the penalty, but we had our chance. Lost 1 that would have pushed 4 to 4 1/2lbs right at the boat! That hurt, buts thats fishing...stupid net handle!

The bite out there is definately in the morning til about 9 on soft plastics, then it gets real real slow. Last week we had the same results but had probaly a dozen or so keepers with 4 of those being small mouth up to 2 1/2 to 3lbs all on jigs, and the usual 20 or so undersized dinks.
Talked to a couple of teams and thier results were identical to ours. We could have all been fishing from the same boat our experiences were so close. Over the last month or so though, we have hooked our bigger fish in mid afternoon and did today as well, just didn't get it in the boat.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/21/08 12:20 AM

Stogie, usually I fish the marina with the restraunt next to it. Think it might be called Pappadouix's. There is a cove with bunch of tires on the bank, next to it.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/21/08 11:08 AM

i heard talk that a guadalupe bass club(???) may be be putting on a open tourney at canyon later october?? anyone know anything about this or some link for info? i looked a bit, and cannot find anything..

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/21/08 02:57 PM

Crumple,

If you are looking at the marina and the chain of tires in front of you.

The second to the last anchor for the tires is a great evening magnet for bait fish and you will catch mucho bass.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/21/08 07:10 PM

thanks stogie I'll definitely check that out. I usually do pretty good in that cove going to the boat ramp. And then the boat docks straight out from the boat ramp.
Posted By: mike0268

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/22/08 01:03 AM

White Bass are hitting minnows under the lights. Caught a few on tiny flukes. Caught a few catfish on cut bluegils. Caught a few large and small mouths on worms in 20 ft of water, good luck.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/22/08 01:08 AM

So Tamale... Going to fill anyone in on some hot spots?... Guess not, but I know that others were thinking the same thing. grin

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/22/08 01:30 PM

Sure, there are no tourney's coming...early in the morning we've been catching them on drop offs in the standing trees. As the day goes on you can catch small mouth near Jacobs creek in that swimming area. This is alot of fun as the water there is usually real clear and you can see them as you hook 'em. It doesn't look like much, and its basically all flat there (about 6-10ft) but they hang out near the small stick ups and rock piles. After that we look for the dirtiest water we can find and catch them in 1-3ft of water. My partner stuck a 9lber last month like this. For the bigger mid after noon fish you'll have too look at maps and find humps and pts way way off shore.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/24/08 09:33 AM

I fished the lower lake mostly and topwaters produced the larger fish(best 2.75lbs); shakey head worms caught the smaller fish. The bite definitely turns off around 9AM and doesn't seem to pick up till sunset. We did see some schooling and there were both largemouth and stripers...threw pop'r and flukes. Fun to watch them blowing up everywhere...shad were thick on surface early(before sunrise) and flukes seem to pick up the larger fish.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/24/08 11:30 PM

I will on the water by 6 am tomorrow Thursday.

Re: CANYON LAKE - 09/25/08 11:27 PM

Thanks tamale for the pointers. Saddly I wont be hitting the lake this Friday. Headed to the coast instead. Maybe I'll catch some reds or trout. I heard that there are all kinds of strange things floating ashore since Ike. Maybe I'll catch a TV or a Galvestonite. wink
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum