Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Timpson

Posted By: Rayzor

Lake Timpson - 04/13/21 01:48 AM

My Wife and I spent the weekend on Lake Caddo with my MIL and FIL. We were scheduled to come back home today and decided to stop at Lake Timpson, a lake we had never fished. Lake Timpson is a small 220 acre lake that we felt would not be too big to catch some fish out of without having any previous experience. We got on the water around 10:30am on a bluebird skies day. Before I launched the boat, I walked to the end of the courtesy dock to scope out the lake. The first thing I noticed was the incredible amount of panfish. They were everywhere!. The water was very clear, too. The 1st place we fished was on the north side of the lake. When I dropped the TM, I saw all of the filamentous algae. Yuk! This lake is full of it, dead and alive. This stuff does not easily come off of your hooks. After about an hour, my Wife hooked up with 3 small bass in a shallow creek. Oh, so there are fish in this lake! After awhile, I hooked a very nice LMB fishing around all of those nasty stands off algae. This fish turned out to be a little over 4 pounds. This fish was so perfectly camouflaged, I never saw it and it looked like a lightning bolt hitting my lure. Throughout the day, we would see dozens of bass that didn't want to have anything to do with our lures. My Wife ended up with 4 bass and 4 lost fish, 2 of which were very, very nice fish. I wound up with 2 bass and 3 misses. All fish were caught on small crank baits. Spinner baits, shallow diving crank baits and flukes were given a shot but didn't produce. On a positive note, this lake is probably a sight fisherman's dream. In between all of the black patches on the bottom is sand and clay patches. Fish show up on the them very clearly. These obvious bedding areas are EVERYWHERE! On a negative note, in my opinion, this lake is just too dang shallow and it was full! The water was trickling over the spillway, so it isn't getting any deeper. All of that sunlight on the shallow, just produces too much gunk. We had fun, for sure.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/13/21 10:23 AM

Enjoyed the post. Fishing new water is an adventure all of it's own. thumb
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/13/21 04:47 PM

I have a friend that lives on the lake.

I have never fished it either. cheers
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/13/21 06:37 PM

And you were just that close to Naconiche....

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/14/21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by thrashfish
And you were just that close to Naconiche....

Been to Naconiche many times. Wanted to go somewhere new. I will go to Naconiche again in the near future.
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/14/21 01:57 PM

Have you tried Pinkston? Kind of hard to get to but worth it.

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/16/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by thrashfish
Have you tried Pinkston? Kind of hard to get to but worth it.

Yes, we did a weekend trip there in years past. We had so-so luck. Like I have said in the past; I didn't think I would ever get the red clay dust out of my truck and boat. We might go back if the situation is right.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Lake Timpson - 04/20/21 03:17 AM

Nice write up!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum