Texas Fishing Forum

Grapevine Lake

Posted By: Okie Poke

Grapevine Lake - 02/25/21 01:43 PM

I went out yesterday from 8:30am - noon. Had 5 bites and caught 4. Biggest about 3.5 but they were all butterballs. Water temps were 46-49. Mouths of major creeks is the only place I got bit. They were slamming the bait so it's only a matter of a real short time and this lake is gonna explode. I predict that I will catch a 10lber from GV this spring. Anybody wanna take that bet? shocked
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Grapevine Lake - 02/25/21 09:16 PM

thumb
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Grapevine Lake - 02/27/21 03:41 PM

Up a little over a foot and rising, should be good soon - good luck!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Grapevine Lake - 03/04/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
I went out yesterday from 8:30am - noon. Had 5 bites and caught 4. Biggest about 3.5 but they were all butterballs. Water temps were 46-49. Mouths of major creeks is the only place I got bit. They were slamming the bait so it's only a matter of a real short time and this lake is gonna explode. I predict that I will catch a 10lber from GV this spring. Anybody wanna take that bet? shocked

What are we betting?
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Grapevine Lake - 03/19/21 10:07 PM

What would you like to bet?
Posted By: Jack Enidus

Re: Grapevine Lake - 04/01/21 08:31 PM

Anyone do any crappie fishing on Grapevine? I heard that they might be going into the creeks soon as was thinking about checking out Denton and Marshal creeks tomorrow morning.

Re: Grapevine Lake - 04/12/21 07:25 AM

I put in at Trophy Club Park in Denton Creek yesterday afternoon (4/11/21) and headed strait out the main lake with the intention of checking out Marshal Creek. I ran past a regular crappie fisherman I see from the time to time and he said he was on hour 4 of no fish. We stopped to fish a couple brush piles on the way out and had no luck.

Once in Marshal Creek we were able to boat pretty far in, past where the walking trail from the park ends, but did not find any fish. There were some shad jumping and the fish finder showed bunch of stacked fish in one spot, which my cast net confirmed.

Back in Denton Creek on the way to the Trophy Club Park boat ramp I stopped at a brush pile and had a lot of success. 10 keepers in about an hour, with about 15 more under sized. I would have stayed longer, but some idiot at the bank kept shooting his pistol into the water at the snakes that were starting to come out. I had my kids with me, so it didn't seem responsible to hang around.

At the boat ramp, another boater gave us 2 sand bass. They were 14 and 15 inches. The 15 incher was a female and LOADED with eggs. He said he caught them trolling rattle traps.

Re: Grapevine Lake - 04/12/21 07:30 AM

Also wanted to add that all the crappie I caught had no eggs. I've caught a lot of egg holding crappie lately in other lakes, and I think I'd recognize that egg sack even if it had already been emptied, so my best guess is that the creek crappie spawn has not hit Grapevine yet.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Grapevine Lake - 04/12/21 03:30 PM

Grapevine is one of the last lakes for the crappie to spawn. Happens every year. I catch them into June spawning some years.
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Grapevine Lake - 04/12/21 03:32 PM

Lake has been fishing the best I have seen in years, biggest bass of the year is 9lbs for me from the vine. More trips than I can count with 20lb+ bags for my big 5. Still looking for that 10lb fish.
Posted By: zimmer0

Re: Grapevine Lake - 04/12/21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by dfwbassin
Lake has been fishing the best I have seen in years, biggest bass of the year is 9lbs for me from the vine. More trips than I can count with 20lb+ bags for my big 5. Still looking for that 10lb fish.

wish i could say the same. Fished Sunday in Scott's Marina creek arm without a bite.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum