Texas Fishing Forum

Hill Country Trout

Posted By: CarlB

Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 01:13 PM

I went to one of my favorite Texas parks yesterday and lugged my sevylor kayak to the pond. It's a good thing I brought it, I must have landed 7 or 8 trout while everyone else struggled. One couple said they caught one, but I didn't see any landed the whole time I was there except by me. Somebody had caught several and left their heads on the bank though, that was pretty barbaric IMO. Got on the water around 8:30 and it was very windy and stormy while the sun was coming up and windy off and on throughout the day and that helped with the trout bite. I released them all to live another day, or two. Didn't catch any sunfish or bass though I saw a few. Also found a dead muskrat in the pond, at least I think it was a muskrat.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 01:30 PM

thumb
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 03:35 PM

Very nice! Can I ask what you were using?

I just looked it up, and apparently muskrats are uncommon in Texas, and historically in east Texas. So that was an interesting sighting!

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 03:37 PM

Very nice! Can I ask what you were using?

I just looked it up, and apparently muskrats are uncommon in Texas, and historically in east Texas. So that was an interesting sighting!

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 05:11 PM

I think it was a muskrat. It was gray, looked about 8 pounds, had a fat tail, like a rats tail but with hair and much bigger around.

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 05:18 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CADD

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 07:35 PM

It is/was a Nutria
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 07:54 PM

where you on a river or a "pond"
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/01/21 07:54 PM

Kinda looks like a river otter
If it had "beaver style teeth" it would be a nutria rat

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/04/21 07:12 PM

I would put money on it being a nutria, the dead give away is they have a muzzle with gray hairs. But the only way to know for sure would be to pick it up and look at it, which from the pic seems like it would have been pretty gross. Otters and beaver are both getting more common in the central Texas area too. . .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/05/21 01:21 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb

Side Note; Plus #1 on the Nutria.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Hill Country Trout - 02/05/21 03:09 AM

WTG CarlB and coolphotos
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum