Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette County

Posted By: BMCD

Fayette County - 10/12/20 02:06 PM

Fished another Sunday on the lake, Lake is fishing very good. boated 35+ lost at least 10-15. Largest was about 4lbs had a 5lbr jump off, size was lacking other then those 2.

Started off shallow in the grass on a point near reeds, boated 10 on 3/4 oz rattle traps. Went to the rip rap caught 8 on watermelon candy shaky heads 1 of those on crank bait. Fished the west side Pond dam and caught at least 20 on green pumpkin candy shakey head worms.

Guessing by the amount of boats that stuck around to 12:00 fishing must have been good for all, Game wardens were checking at the boat ramps.

Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 06:01 PM

I struggled out there on Sunday, although to be fair I haven't been on the water in well over a month. The first 30 minutes of daylight you could do no wrong. After that they mystified me, got lucky and stumbled into a few offshore. I caught 14 in 4 hours by myself. Two 4lbers and the rest 2lbs or less.

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 06:14 PM

Did u see the Grey Nitro?

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 06:22 PM

I'm sure I saw you at some point. I was by myself in a black and white skeeter.

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 06:24 PM

I think you were fishing the rocks at one point, not alot of boats out there.

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BMCD
I think you were fishing the rocks at one point, not alot of boats out there.

Yes, I deep cranked the rock edge for a ways. Zero luck doing that which is highly unusual.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 07:09 PM

I was there too. Got there late and stayed longer than I probably should have. Got a few on cranks out deep chasing balls of shad, but then I had a hard time. Hit some of my jig holes and only got pecks from gar and sunfish. The water was 85, up from just a couple days ago. Hoping it cools off some in the next couple of weeks!

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 07:17 PM

They would not hit a crankbait for me, last week tho that was working. In the am most of our trap fish were barely hooked, only one really ate it. We lost 5 in the am prolly because of that.

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BMCD
They would not hit a crankbait for me, last week tho that was working. In the am most of our trap fish were barely hooked, only one really ate it. We lost 5 in the am prolly because of that.

I had a pile of short strikes in the morning as well. Missed more than I boated. Was the story of the day for me actually which is also highly unusual.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Fayette County - 10/12/20 08:03 PM

I had a 3:1 ratio of long distance release to fish landed on cranks. Thought it was just me!
Posted By: RunTX

Re: Fayette County - 10/13/20 01:21 AM

I started fishing this lake this year - what a gem of a lake! Granted, I haven't been boating those kind of numbers...but routinely boating some nice 2-4 pounders and I'll take that anytime. Appreciate the post and see ya on the water.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Fayette County - 10/13/20 01:36 AM

Whenever I need a bass fishing confidence boost, I go to Fayette.

Re: Fayette County - 10/13/20 12:51 PM

RunTx, In the fall I have had more then a few 75-100 fish days. Best time to go in my opinion, Late Nov, thru spring it starts to get crowded on the weekends.
Posted By: cannonWood

Re: Fayette County - 10/13/20 03:55 PM

I was out there yesterday too. Lots of fun in the morning on shallow windblown shoreline. With fish busting, we caught em on a frog and burning a swim jig just off the grass lines. After that shut down, we caught 1 here 1 there mostly on the swim jig. Most consistent being off the rip rap. As usual my sub par offshore skills get put in their place on that lake. We talked to and watched a few folks wailing on them in 20-25', im just never able to get a consistent bite out there doing that. We tried several baits/colors/sizes on drop shots, c-rigs, t-rigs and jigs, but just couldnt get bit. Tons of bait and fish chasing, we just couldnt put together what to throw.

All in all I think we ended up with 15+ fishing from 7 till noon. Partner and I each had a 4# and most fishing were between 2-3#.

We were in a older blue/grey basscat, im sure we saw a few of you guys out there.
Posted By: petro

Re: Fayette County - 10/14/20 07:16 PM

I might have to go this weeken
Posted By: RunTX

Re: Fayette County - 10/14/20 11:44 PM

Awesome to hear; appreciated. I probably won't make it out there this weekend, but do have a few days of time off to burn before year end...in addition to some open weekends. Sounds like some additional time on Fayette is in order.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum