Texas Fishing Forum

Guadalupe below Canyon

Posted By: JohnButte

Guadalupe below Canyon - 03/17/20 07:18 PM

Stayed on the river with the kids for spring break. Did a little bit of wading every day. Trout were responsive when it was cloudy, not so much when sunny. And really not so much when my kids and others were splashing around. That being said, what they lacked in numbers they made up in size. Caught six rainbows total, smallest was 15 inches and largest was 21 inches, making it the biggest rainbow trout of my life. All on light spinning gear, small jigs and blades. Water was a little low, very clear, and cool but not frigid.

One more thing, lots of follows. Important to pay attention because sometimes when they follow if you make a hard sideways motion or in some form or fashion make an erratic move, can entice some bites. The big one and a couple others hit right at my feet. Reminded me of muskie fishing up north.
Posted By: wug

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 03/19/20 01:55 PM

The Guadalupe is a fantastic fishery and this is a great time of year to fish it. My favorite wading spot is gone now Camp Beans bought up by Ingram Ranch. In the old days Mr Beans had quite a reputation of "not liking" campers; but for some unknown reason he liked me. I caught my biggest rainbow ever just upstream of his rapid after seeing small black /gray crawdads in the shallows and matching the hatch. My largest smallmouth also came on a float-trip down the river...those are good memories! Soon the crowds will arrive and the mayhem will commence. I'm glad you got to experience one of the best kept secrets in Texas Fishing. fish
Posted By: MAC67STANG

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 05/23/20 02:52 PM

It has been a long time since I fished it, I will have to get back down there.
Posted By: wug

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 05/23/20 03:04 PM

Me Too!!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 05/27/20 04:15 PM

I grew up on Canyon Lake and had access to the ole Guadalupe 24/7 below the dam. Some of the biggest striper of my life came from that river at horseshoe bend. Back then you could catch them using live bait or a large swimbait in the deep holes. Typically right after the trout were released. Almost like the striper knew when dinner was coming.

The best times were tubing that river at night with headlamps and fishing. Never knew what you were going to get, but you definitely avoided the crowds and the cops!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 05/28/20 03:43 AM

Love that river. I fish it a lot every year! As already mentioned. It is a great fishery! thumb
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 06/24/20 06:49 PM

I'll be back next month! Any word on how it fishes in summer?
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 06/24/20 11:09 PM

Probably pretty good odds of catching a tuber
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 06/25/20 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
Probably pretty good odds of snagging a tuber
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 06/25/20 06:14 PM

Great report and it appears you caught some fantastic fish. thumb
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 06/26/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
Probably pretty good odds of snagging a tuber

Depends on the hookset
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: Guadalupe below Canyon - 06/27/20 03:48 AM

We've had good luck by the Rockin R. My BIL broke off what looked like a 5lb smallie on a unweighted white fluke that he let the current take under a washed out bank. My nephew caught a 23" trout on a broken back rapala while bass fishing. I've caught numerous 2-4 lbs blacks and smallies, but never really fished for trout. This was all during the summer about 5 years ago.
If you just want to catch some fish put a plastic hellgrammite on a light jighead.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum