Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon Lake

Posted By: wug

Canyon Lake - 03/14/20 01:32 PM

I have seen NO posts from anyone fishing Canyon. Please give some info. Need a weekend trip soon.
Posted By: JesseX

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/15/20 03:02 PM

Because everyone is fishing Bastrop right now.
Posted By: Big Lunker

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/15/20 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by wug
I have seen NO posts from anyone fishing Canyon. Please give some info. Need a weekend trip soon.

Fished it last Wednesday, I hit the creeks to see if any bass were getting ready to move up to spawn yet, but caught nothing but the males looking for good nesting locations. Females should be moving up in about a week or two especially if this warm weather keeps up. Water temp was 59 to 61 degrees and water is clear as hell. Threw a small swimbait which they just about killed. So good fishing to you, hope you do some good. fish
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/16/20 01:18 PM

Canyon is really good for practicing your casting, and watching the action of different baits you tie on!
After all that practice, you then point your vehicle southward and head down the road to Falcon.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/16/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Canyon is really good for practicing your casting, and watching the action of different baits you tie on!
After all that practice, you then point your vehicle southward and head down the road to Falcon.

bwaaa haa haa...Surely it can't be THAT bad. Can it?
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/16/20 07:04 PM

It's fishing like Canyon Lake normally does.
The Lake can surprise you some occasionally, but most time you get slapped down or catch dinks.
The water is down 3' , super clear in places and there is little flow from the rivers.
2 weeks ago the water was 56 degrees, last check in the 70's.

I've been Catfishing some with some luck. Some shallow, some as deep as 45'.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][i][/i]

Been hunting the White Bass a bit.
Marking lots of fish from Potters up river but not much biting what I'm dragging.
Maybe get 2-6 bites in a morning.

Took the Wife up river hunting Whites the other day.
She caught several nice LM Bass up there.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/9j0UqHi.jpg?1[/img]

[Linked Image]

And a Nice Crappie.
[Linked Image]

And one Small 6" Male White Bass.

I hooked a 3' Gar that got off.
Canyon Lake has had the "curse" on me lately.

I did catch my first Palomino Rainbow Trout on the River a while back.
[Linked Image]

Some fish are biting. Just have to find them.
I have not fished the larger main lake coves and creeks yet.

C U on the water.

FI
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/16/20 08:52 PM

Canyon sucks for bass fishing, period!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/16/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by wug

Hey, what do you expect? There's been 3 whole fishing reports posted in the last 4 days, which is over a weekend! No one wants to post fishing reports.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/17/20 01:30 PM

Here's the latest fishing report from Canyon!
I seldom pay these any attention, but that might be because I'm just a lousy fisherman! noidea

Canyon Lake
GOOD. Water lightly stained; 56-57 degrees; 3.01’ low. Striper fishing is slow on main lake humps. Largemouth bass are good in creeks and grassy shorelines with square billed crankbaits, worms, and spinners. Catfish are good with live and cut bait throughout the lake.
Posted By: CADD

Re: Canyon Lake - 03/17/20 01:47 PM

This is around the time for Whites up the river (live minnows free-lined and drifted along the middle of the river)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum