Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn Rookie Report

Posted By: Rayzor

Rayburn Rookie Report - 01/05/20 02:36 AM

Since we have only fished Rayburn about 10 times, we consider ourselves rookies on Big Sam. There is a LOT of water out there. We got on the water late, around 9:00am, as we do not want to fight the early birds at the ramp. We went out of Jackson Hill for the 1st time. I am not real crazy about the way the parking spaces are laid out, for sure. It's nice that there are 4 lanes at the water, though. Water is about 3 feet low. Went straight across the lake to the mouth of what I think was Alligator cove. Dropped the trolling motor in about 20 feet of water and noticed a lot of bait. Started throwing a lipless and on the 4th cast, I caught a 3 pounder. Wow! This is going to be a great day! Not. About 30 minutes later, I caught a dink. That would be it for me and my Wife for the rest of our trip. We tried several different areas including the Bird Island area and around Calhoun Point. The last time we came to Rayburn, we couldn't get away from the hydrilla. We couldn't find a smidgeon of anything today. There was some of what I think is called America Pondweed around the Bird Islands. Unfortunately, I never seem to catch anything around that stuff no matter what lake I am on.

It was a beautiful day with some really great weather. Maybe too nice; I am sure the barometric pressure was up. Lots of boats! I wonder how much was brought to the scale in that BFL tournament. I heard that there were 230 entrants in that one.There was a heck of a lot of boat trailers at Jackson Hill and there was't even a tourney going out of it.

I will be back next month with my BIL.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Rayburn Rookie Report - 01/05/20 01:26 PM

It was tough. We didn't do good either and neither did the other 2 boats we were with. Even several boats in that BFL zeroed. There were and always are a few who had a good day, but a big lake with a lot of good fishermen will always have a few who found them.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Rayburn Rookie Report - 01/07/20 11:14 PM

It has been tough on some days. I fished that day also. I caught 15 but only 3 keepers. Believe it or not. Most were shallow. Less than 3’. Soft plastic craws, various colors. I kept looking for the right one but they all got bit about the same. The trick was to place the lure very quietly in there mouth while they were yawning!! Lol between the tree and the bark of lay downs and trees.
There was a pile of boats on the water!!!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn Rookie Report - 01/23/20 08:33 PM

It's always packed now. Toledo bend effect unfortunately, it'll be the norm until the lake goes downhill. Plenty of hydrilla it's just shallow and further south nearly every pocket.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum