Texas Fishing Forum

Brain Eating Amoeba

Posted By: V-Bottom

Brain Eating Amoeba - 07/26/19 10:32 PM

A N. Carolina man has died of this brain eating amoeba.He became sick after swimming in a man made lake at a Water Park in Cumberland County July 12th. Testing at the CDCP revealed that the man's sickness was caused by Naegleria Fowleri. A single -cell living organism that is often found in WARM freshwater such as Lakes,Rivers,and Hot Springs. The organism is commonly known as the Brain-Eating amoeba and can kill if it enters the body thru the nose, the NCDHHS notes.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 07/27/19 01:57 PM

Yes, it's some serious stuff, and it's been around throughout time, but now with the internet people hear about it instantly and it's pretty shocking because once you get it the survival rate isn't very good.
Before the internet and social media, people didn't hear about the cases as it wasn't broadcast out of local news if it even made the local news.
Just a few years back a lady on one of our local lakes was fishing out of her kayak and flipped and that night she started having a severe headache, and went to the emergency room.
She had the BEA, but because she got immediate medical attention, and by the Grace of God, she survived.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 07/29/19 12:43 PM

Someone got it from lake somerville a few years ago.
Posted By: slotlimit

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 08/07/19 02:58 AM

That's why you should fish in lakes not swim in 'em!
Posted By: Lil' Bass

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 08/07/19 04:02 PM

good to know!
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/01/19 10:44 PM

It’s a lot more common than most realize. Seems politicians are extremely susceptible to it! grin

Not funny though to those who get it. Hopefully medicine will find a treatment soon so more will be cured.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/15/19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Choogie Chunker
It’s a lot more common than most realize. Seems politicians are extremely susceptible to it! grin

Not funny though to those who get it. Hopefully medicine will find a treatment soon so more will be cured.
Politicians would be the ONLY people safe enough to get into the water---brainless turds!!!!!!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/16/19 12:13 AM

man
this is messed up
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/16/19 12:15 AM

I saw recently on news that a young teenage girl in Texas contracted this thing from swimming in the Brazos a few days ago.
Posted By: armadilla

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/16/19 09:13 AM

Here is the link to the Fox News story...

Brain eating bateria in Brazos River

Scary stuff... lots of lakes on that chain.. and lots of folks fish it.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/16/19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by armadilla
Here is the link to the Fox News story...

Brain eating bateria in Brazos River

Scary stuff... lots of lakes on that chain.. and lots of folks fish it.

VERY SCARY! That`s why I never swim in lakes or Rivers.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/16/19 08:46 PM

Been reported that she has passed away.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/16/19 11:34 PM

yes
really sad
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/17/19 12:33 AM

My 5th grade class went on a fieldtrip to garner state park. There were about 20 of us swimming and splashing around having a great time. All of a sudden my friend Benjamin started to walk out of the water but collapsed before getting to shore. By the time we got him out he was unconscious. He was in a coma for 5 days then passed away. It was later determined it was a brain eating ameoba. Weird how no one else was affected
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Brain Eating Amoeba - 09/17/19 10:53 AM

We know more about this these days, but I'm sure there were many deaths in the past where people died of the same Amoeba, and it wasn't reported or that anyone even knew what the cause was for the death.
It kills fast, and I read an article that 158 cases were reported in Texas and only 4 survived.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum