Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours

Posted By: Scott Abbott

Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 07/08/19 01:38 AM

Hey guys and gals. I have a question and might need to just be told to settle down but am really upset about my home lake of Lake Weatherford. I was going to head there early to try and find some crappie early but the boat ramp is locked up and only open during normal business hours of the marina. So during the week the lake is only available starting at 8 am and the ramp is closed and locked again . In this heat...I normally only go from about 6 till 8 or 9 when that heat sets in. In order to get around this, you have to purchase the $135 yearly ramp pass that gives you the gate code. I was a little taken back when they were explaining this to me and I cannot seem to get over it! I just have never seen a situation where they can literally lock up a lake at night and open it back up according to a marina's hours.

Am I right to be shocked?

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 07/09/19 10:16 PM

I suppose by the lack of responses I am just being a baby. smile
Posted By: Andrew Murphy

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 07/15/19 04:30 PM

This is news to me, and if true, I am also not happy, because the lake is 10 minutes from my new house, and I also would only be able to get on it 6pm or later.

Try posting in the Bass fishing forum, that one gets more traffic.
Posted By: hobgood12

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 07/23/19 05:49 PM

For $11.25 a month I would have me a gate code and unlock it at 6am with a smile!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 07/23/19 09:12 PM

Been complaining about it ever since the put the gate on it. Not sure how they can close off the only access to public waterway.

Bad part is they will close the gate even with trucks/trailers in the parking lot. Ive seen the lock cut more than once since they locked people on the lake.

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 07/24/19 07:09 PM

Glad to know I am not alone. Just was a bit shocked when I was told the lake was not open at 6 to come fishing.

Crazy!
Posted By: KnotEnuff

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 08/08/19 03:59 AM

City of Weatherford taking care of their citizens.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 08/08/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by KnotEnuff
City of Weatherford taking care of their citizens.

On this one its not the City, although I'm pretty sure they are allowing it to continue. The ramp is on the marina property, not the cities. it's the marina owners worried about the one guy that wont pay with the honor box (that is there, just not used anymore) so we all have to suffer.
Posted By: coho55

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 09/16/19 01:24 AM

there is one i'm told on the north west side toward spring town i believe
Posted By: garywils

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 08/30/20 04:35 AM

Yep, a disappointment.

I hadn't heard about it. Went there last year in the afternoon, was going to fish until 2AM or so.

Left, went to another lake that is accessible.

According to TPW, "Two unimproved boat ramps exist in the upper end of the lake, but these are suitable only for small aluminum boats."

For $80 a year, you can get a pass for boat launch access at every COE lake in the country.

So, I don't do Weatherford Lake anymore.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 09/01/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by hobgood12
For $11.25 a month I would have me a gate code and unlock it at 6am with a smile!

YEP. I live in Weatherford and for several reasons I need to go around 4-5 in the afternoon and fish until dark or after. Since I am going to make most of my afternoon trips there (100 + per year), that's a bargain as far as I'm concerned. If I were strictly a weekend fisherman I'd look elsewhere.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Lake Weatherford Boat Ramp - Only open during business hours - 09/09/20 01:28 AM

If there were more quality fish in that lake I'd definitely spring for the pass, as I actually love fishing there. But, since I only fish for crappie, and catfish, I can find a lot better quality in almost any other lake. But, I do love the lake itself.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum