Texas Fishing Forum

5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing

Posted By: photofishin

5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing - 04/09/18 04:31 PM

Nobody ever confused me with a weatherman. I had committed to the family to take them camping at Possum Kingdom. Loaded up early Thursday morning and made it to the hotel in Mineral Wells around 3:00pm. (plan was to camp Friday and Saturday) Got to Possum Kingdom State Park about 11:30 the next morning and chose a pretty site right on the water and set up one of the tents. Opened the 2nd tent we had just purchased and no tent stakes were found. Went to the camp store and they were out getting firewood and due back at 2:30 so we decided to grab a sandwich and fish. I figured fish would be getting close to spawning so I targeted the backs of creek channels. The first creek I chose was loaded with carp, but no bass. As we left the cove, I drove over what appeared to be a big school of stripers...but after a couple of drifts, we got no bites on jigging spoons so I headed to the next creek. This creek proved to be more promising as I had 5-6 fish come unbuttoned on a white superfluke. I finally got a 2lb fish in the boat and then my wife noticed something in the water...I looked over at about an 8lb fish cruising the shoreline. I made a perfect cast out in front of her but couldn't get her to eat. My wife tried the same with her swimbait to no avail. We fished our way out of the creek and as it now about 4:00, we decided to head back to camp to get the other tent put up. By the time she came back with the tent stakes, the front had come in full force. Our tent was laying flat with 45mph winds blowing it to the ground. After a few attempts to tie it down, it became obvious that it wasn't happening. We packed everything back in the truck and headed back to Mineral Wells for dinner and another night's stay at Holiday Inn Express. PK definitely is a place I'll try again, however I'll keep a better eye on the weather before I make the trek again!
Posted By: Gnab2

Re: 5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing - 04/10/18 09:22 AM

That sucks.

I have been almost the same position. I have got up and looked at the weather, planned the trip, get there and shortly after the sky opened up a nasty one. After a 4hr pack, 2hr drive and setup, we sat in the tent for the rest of the day/night. One of the worse trips ever. All of this was with no rain in the forecast.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: 5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing - 04/11/18 12:28 AM

Weathermen use the word "prediction" for everything. That is supposed to save their butts when they don't get the forecasts right. We all use these forecasts to plan our trip. About 50% of the time, they're wrong.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: 5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing - 04/13/18 06:27 PM

Reminded me of driving to my favorite snooking grounds in Flamingo Everglades. Around a 100 mile drive but much of it through Miami traffic and usually 2 to 2.5 hour drive with the last 40 miles through the swamp at slower speeds to keep from running over alligators that liked to lay on the warm pavement at night. I'm in a month long south florida, paper slam tournament... snook, trout, and redfish. Already had a good redfish and trout, just needed a decent snook and I'll win. Sitting in second place with a week to go, the leader was a friend and kayak guide from Sarasota area.

Leave the house at around 9:00 p.m., arrive at my destination around midnight. Nobody fishes Flamingo at night.. NOBODY, at least not on purpose. This is my edge. I'll do it. Launch my kayak from Flamingo, paddle into the dark with mosquitoes swarming, I've got my full bug suit on. Not much of a moon but enough that I don't have to use any lights. I paddle to nearest spoil island as mullet are being chased all around, one hits me in the armpit, others banging into kayak, eyes getting adjusted. Before I make a cast I'm hearing loud explosions of snook and tarpon all over the bay. Its sounds like a battle field. Some of the explosions are near me, some so violent that I know they are sharks and tarpon. I'm afraid to cast my topwater. Finally make one cast and luckily reel it all the way back in without a strike. Schools of mullet showering all around me, explosions going off. I quickly paddle up against sand bank to think about what I should do. See huge school of mullet coming directly at me, hitting me broadside, scooting under my hull trying to escape when a huge wake comes up out of the water right behind them and slams me broadside. Till the day I die I will never forget seeing the open mouth of that shark as it hit me, driving my kayak sideways up onto land. Mullet on the bank around me trying to get back in the water. It was over almost as soon as it happened. I waited and watched and when the coast cleared I paddled right back to my car, loaded up, and made the 2.5 hour drive back home. One cast.

Same area during daylight.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: 5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing - 04/14/18 09:58 AM

yeah, imagine you also had to stop at Walmart to buy new underwear!
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: 5 1/2 hours of driving- 2 hours of fishing - 04/15/18 12:02 AM

I arrived at PK about two hours after you did. Fishing went a bit better however. Caught about five fish before the wind blew in and I was forced to leave. We actually stayed in a popup camper so we were able to stay warm and dry. On Saturday after the wind became management (3pm) we headed back to the area I was fishing. I had seen lots of fish before the front. In all of that cold we caught about 15 or so fish including a 7, 4 and two 3 pounders. The next day we got out at 11 and fished until 1:30. Fishing was slower maybe due to the chance in wind direction and high pressure. Caught about 4 small fish in that time. Mostly all fish came on soft plastics. Watermelon was the secret for us.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum