Texas Fishing Forum

Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports?

Posted By: TysonS

Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/21/18 04:14 PM

Just trying to find out what is happening at Monticello with the low water? Heading down next weekend from long distance and we usually base camp there. Just debating if we should reevaluate our plan? I appreciate any insight. Thank you!
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/21/18 04:52 PM

I haven't been there in a long time but do you know that they shut down the power plant?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/21/18 05:49 PM

They shut the plants down in Jan, I don't think the levels are important as they once were...
frown

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/21/18 06:32 PM

Yes I do know they shut the plant down. Thank you though! I actually got to fish there this last december before shut down and the fishing was great! Last I saw the water was down 4 feet? Which is about how deep I fish during the spring there so I just dont know what to expect... Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: Charlesg35

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/22/18 01:44 AM

I've been traveling from Oklahoma City to Monticello in the spring for over 15 years. I have plans to go this year but can't get anyone to say if you can get a boat on it. If the water is 4--5' low I don't think the ramp will be useable. Just spent three days on McGee Creek last week, likely will go back there instead of risking Monticello. Maybe next year if they stabilize the water level.

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/22/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlesg35
I've been traveling from Oklahoma City to Monticello in the spring for over 15 years. I have plans to go this year but can't get anyone to say if you can get a boat on it. If the water is 4--5' low I don't think the ramp will be useable. Just spent three days on McGee Creek last week, likely will go back there instead of risking Monticello. Maybe next year if they stabilize the water level.

Thanks for the reply I agree on the ramp situation and 4 foot of water is alot in a shallow lake like monti... Let me know if you hear anything.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/23/18 11:13 PM

Monticello's gates are open leading into Sandlin, so both lakes will now be at the same level. Since Sandlin sits approximately three feet lower than Monticelo, its "normal" full pool will now reflect the difference.

Drove through the park last weekend and there were plenty (20 to 25) of trucks and trailers in the parking lot leading me to believe the fishing is fine. Watched several load at the ramp, so all is well. The pier is practically on dry land and I would assume the old ramp is not functional.

Re: Is anyone fishing Monticello this spring? Any reports? - 03/27/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: GTrigg
Monticello's gates are open leading into Sandlin, so both lakes will now be at the same level. Since Sandlin sits approximately three feet lower than Monticelo, its "normal" full pool will now reflect the difference.

Drove through the park last weekend and there were plenty (20 to 25) of trucks and trailers in the parking lot leading me to believe the fishing is fine. Watched several load at the ramp, so all is well. The pier is practically on dry land and I would assume the old ramp is not functional.

Thanks for the reply
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum