Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette Question

Posted By: Vogey

Fayette Question - 02/14/18 03:18 AM

Does anyone know the date that lake Fayette opened to the public ? I am pretty sure it was 1978 but would like to know the exact date. Attached is a photo of the line the night before...we slept in our truck & were number 77 in line to get in the next morning. The start of a long love affair...
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Fayette Question - 02/14/18 04:02 AM

Best I could find:

Fayette County Reservoir is a 2,394-acre impoundment of Cedar Creek, an intermittent stream in the Colorado River watershed. It was constructed in 1978 by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) for the purpose of supplying cooling water for steam-electric power generation.

Fayette County Reservoir was opened to fishing in 1979.

Florida Largemouth Bass were stocked into nursery ponds during 1977 prior to reservoir filling.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/14/18 04:11 AM

Thanks...I was one year off...was hoping someone would recognize their truck & boat in line waiting to get in. I also tried googling it and had found no specific data...
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Fayette Question - 02/14/18 07:56 PM

Our old house had a neighbor, navy vet who was likely in that line. His son doug was my age and they had moved to TX from Hawaii. The old man casted into 5 gallon buckets in the front yard every day!! That very well could be there Monark in that shot too.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Fayette Question - 02/15/18 02:11 AM

I tried blowing up the picture to look at the registration on the side of that Mon Ark boat. No luck, It just blurs. I swear it looks like a "4" though.
Posted By: newbiefisher

Re: Fayette Question - 02/15/18 03:27 AM

Why is this topic in "Freshwater Reports" ?

Re: Fayette Question - 02/15/18 02:19 PM

The Monarch boat in the picture is mine & that is my buddy standing by it. The reason it is in the freshwater section is that Fayette is a freshwater lake, and I just thought some of the old timers (like myself) might find the picture from almost 40 years ago interesting...

Re: Fayette Question - 02/15/18 02:28 PM

The Monark in the pic is mine...that is my friend (Dan) standing next to it.
Newbie...The reason this is in the freshwater section is that Fayette is a freshwater lake, and I thought maybe some old timers (like myself) would find the photo from almost 40 years ago interesting. I will be posting fishing reports from this lake in about a month...
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Fayette Question - 02/16/18 12:00 AM

That looks like my Thunderbolt looking between the motor and the rear seat of the Monark. I was there on opening day but I don't remember any number.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/16/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: newbiefisher
Why is this topic in "Freshwater Reports" ?

I guess because no one ever posts any fishing reports.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Fayette Question - 02/16/18 02:40 AM

Sometimes they do, but it’s rare.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/16/18 02:41 AM

I’m going fishing Monday, rain, shine, wind, calm, hopefully I have some kind of a report!

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
I’m going fishing Monday, rain, shine, wind, calm, hopefully I have some kind of a report!

Don't worry. It's President's Day, my Wife is off, and I have to work. It won't rain.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 02:45 PM

Supposed to be windy on Monday, with it being a Holiday, will the lake be crowded? Ive never fished it.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 03:41 PM

If it's less than 3 foot rollers, it will be crowed.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 03:43 PM

Seriously, the winds are predicted to be 17 mph with gusts to 32. That is extremely dangerous on Fayette and most all other lakes.
Posted By: fishytx

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 04:39 PM

Date I don't remember. What happened on that first open day I do remember. I got a ticket for having one to many fish and they kicked me off the lake. I waited in line for three days to get on this lake and when I paid I didn't read the lake rules which was three bass per person, or boat. Any how I had four keepers. I didn't know it was a slot lake either, I just got lucky on having four over the slot fish. They were huge that I remember as well. All of the lakes I had fished before had a five fish limit and I thought this one did too. Oh well, lesion learned.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 04:41 PM

There will be anglers on Fayette Monday I'm sure.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/17/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: fishytx
There will be fools on Fayette Monday I'm sure.

Fixed it for you.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/20/18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1

Fixed it for you.

Glad I was a fool today, even though it wasn’t on Fayette.

Re: Fayette Question - 02/20/18 02:07 AM

Fixed it for you.

Report?

Re: Fayette Question - 02/20/18 05:54 PM

Fixed it for you.

At 17 to 32 mile an hour winds, you wouldn't have been on Fayette long, you would have been under it.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Fayette Question - 03/04/18 11:20 AM

Fixed it for you.

At 17 to 32 mile an hour winds, you wouldn't have been on Fayette long, you would have been under it.

Maybe fishing in a kayak or canoe...but it's not like Fayette is offshore. When I think "dangerous"...I think fishing on places like Rayburn or Livingston with 4-5ft rollers in a bassboat. Fayette is child's play. I've never not felt safe on that lake and have fished it for 35 years.

Re: Fayette Question - 03/10/18 07:00 PM

There is one place on Fayette that the waves will reach five to six feet. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is scary. It is also a small area where it first starts and the waves have like five hundred yards to roll before hitting shore. Over by prairie park ramp. All the years I've fished this lake I have only seen this twice, other wise just some two foot rollers.

Re: Fayette Question - 03/11/18 02:26 AM

There is one place on Fayette that the waves will reach five to six feet. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is scary. It is also a small area where it first starts and the waves have like five hundred yards to roll before hitting shore. Over by prairie park ramp. All the years I've fished this lake I have only seen this twice, other wise just some two foot rollers.

Fishhytx is right. FCL is not Big Sam but the waves can get vicious.

Re: Fayette Question - 03/11/18 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

Fishhytx is right. FCL is not Big Sam but the waves can get vicious.

Hummmm, I have been told it's child's play.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Fayette Question - 03/16/18 07:25 PM

I've been out on the lake when a storm kicked up. I was not far from another bass boat. I hightailed it out of there. The waves were so bad I could not make it back to the ramp. I sheltered down behind the leeward side of hogs point. When it finally calmed down enough I could poke my nose back out into the water, I saw that other bass boat completely swamped floating just under the surface. Thankfully the guys were able to make it to shore. This was probably 3 years ago. The lake can definitely get unsafe.
Posted By: Bazzectomy

Re: Fayette Question - 03/17/18 03:02 AM

Like FishyTx said Fayette most of the time is 2 foot rollers. Only 1 time was I in the 4-5 foot waves on Fayette and the waves were heading directly into Prairie Park. I hit each wave at a 45 degree angle going in. But as luck would have it, I missed one. At the bottom of a wave I went right through it nose first. A 4 foot wall of water came over the bow and drenched us. Fortunately most of the water hit where we were sitting in a 19.5 foot Ranger. So only half the boat was full of water. My partner looked at me with this bewildered look on his face. Or was it "You darn Rookie driver". I will plead the fifth on that.

Any who, that is the only time that has happened.

Re: Fayette Question - 03/18/18 01:03 PM

This discussion is a perfect example of "a man has to know his limitations".

Re: Fayette Question - 03/19/18 01:02 AM

I took a wave nose first one time as well, so I know the amount of water that gets thrown on a rider. But that was way back when I was still considered a rookie. I know how to ride these big waves now, I've done it in a very safe way. Boats are no joke my friend, when you mess up, you do it well and you don't get a chance to correct it. Same thing goes for slipping in the boat and hitting your head before falling over board, life jackets are a must, self inflating jacket if fishing solo. And I'll be honest, I do not wear mine near as often as I should, it should be on at all times. Solo fishing I will though. Go figure......
Oh yea, the wave I took over the nose happened in late Jan.and it was cold. Our day was over.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum