Texas Fishing Forum

Pond Feasability Study

Posted By: Chris H

Pond Feasability Study - 09/11/17 03:46 AM

Maybe the title is too technical, but my wife and I own 5.5 acres in Rowlett and we would like to build a pond. The property slopes to the south quite a bit (roughly 30' vertically from north property line to the creek on the south property line). There is a ravine on the west side of the property where we would like to build a dam and create a decent sized pond.

I'd swear I've read something on this forum before about a group that will come scout your property to see if it would support a pond but I can't find the info now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Most of the properties on our street have a pond so I know the ground in the area will hold water. Our next door neighbor has a big pond (it used to be on our property but the property got split in two right before we bought it, go figure).
Posted By: salex

Re: Pond Feasability Study - 09/11/17 04:17 AM

Try your local NRCS office.

Re: Pond Feasability Study - 09/11/17 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: salex
Try your local NRCS office.

Thank you. I'll call and see what they can tell me...
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Pond Feasability Study - 09/11/17 01:27 PM

Be cautious of the NRCS...about 10 years ago they said my new pond would never fill up. Well, its been full ever since.

Some of the best data is your neighbor's ponds. If they hold water, then the chances are very high that yours will also, if its built right. Ask them who built theirs and then contact that person with your questions.

Re: Pond Feasability Study - 09/11/17 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Be cautious of the NRCS...about 10 years ago they said my new pond would never fill up. Well, its been full ever since.

Some of the best data is your neighbor's ponds. If they hold water, then the chances are very high that yours will also, if its built right. Ask them who built theirs and then contact that person with your questions.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the NCRS. My neighbors ponds have all been around for 20+ years. I had a guy come by that does pond work and he is confident he can build a dam in the ravine. My main concern is water flow, being sure there is enough water running through the ravine to adequately maintain a healthy pond.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Pond Feasability Study - 10/31/17 02:47 PM

Did you find the help you were looking for? I am getting ready to dig a pond in Talty and would like to find out the same things. I will have plenty of water run off, but am looking more on building a pond that will last for a long time and have a healthy bunch of fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum