Texas Fishing Forum

Thieves

Posted By: Pilothawk

Thieves - 06/19/13 09:13 PM

For those of you who have private lakes, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Out in East TX, someone broke the lock on our neighbors gate, drove down to the lake and used a net to seine out fish. Neighbor swears there are no less than 300 catfish that have just been thrown up on the bank to rot.

Why would someone do this. We do have the lake stocked with Florida strain bass. Do you think someone wants them in their tank? This took a lot of work and a fair amount of time. Would people go to that degree of labor to eat bass or crappie.

Lake is stocked with bass, crappie and catfish. There is a small blue gill population but they are kept thinned out by all the bass.

Your thoughts please....
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Thieves - 06/20/13 12:06 AM

This is one of those BS situations that no one expects to deal with... I HATE PEOPLE THAT DO STUFF LIKE THIS...

My thoughts; booby traps that will cause severe tire damage... either go to a welder or do it yourself, but get some rod iron cut at sharp angles, welded to some steel/iron plates, place them somewhere inconspicuous, and camouflage em (just don't forget they are there!)Then those degenerates will have a nice surprise next time they do that garbage!
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Thieves - 06/20/13 04:31 PM

The way I see it is there is only a handful of reasons that anybody would do this.
1) sheer jealousy - They aren't lucky enough to have a private lake so they destroy others (not very likely).
2)They are looking to stock their own pond at the expense of others.
3) They are hungry and need food.

None of them are good enough to go in and take large populations of fish and kill off some of the others. My gut is telling me that they were after one, or maybe two, type of fish and all the rest they saw as trash and let them die on the ground like inhumane jerks. We may never know why they did what they did, but with that many fish dead, it doubt that it was a 1-2 person operation. They probably had a small group. I would setup some traps like ColoradoTransplant mentioned or setup a night camera that people use for deer, at the entrance and let it take pictures of them coming in and out. I'm sure if setup in the right way you can get the license plate and report them to the police not only for trespassing, but for theft and vandalism.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Thieves - 06/21/13 06:57 AM

This is not to be tolerated. Hope the problem gets fixed.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Thieves - 06/21/13 01:29 PM

I agree with fisherman1 on the cameras. I have heard of sneak fishing ponds, hell I'm sure a lot of us did it we were young, but to take all those fish like that and leave hundreds of cats to rot on bank is EVIL. I would say that you probably know them. They sure knew your pond.
Posted By: lare2

Re: Thieves - 06/21/13 01:37 PM

i agree with Fisherman 1 on regards to camera u even have them set up to where u get the pics straight to your computer. they can get charge for trespassing, vandalism, theft and transporting of fish. Good Luck pilot and i hope you catch this thieves.
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Thieves - 06/21/13 02:14 PM

when I lived behind the "Pine Curtain" (East Texas) the saying was "If'n its fish or watermelons it ain't stealin'."

a fish farmer friend got sick of the same problem, people using his net to steal his fish. So he set up some bear traps, caught two of 'em, both got broken legs and had to be hospitalized. Both went to prison. But that was over 30 years ago. Today the farmer would have been sued for all he owned, and the perps would have recieived big settlements.

Better in this day and time to just lay up and shoot the bass-turds in he act, making sure they're dead.

I do like the idea of a camera located where an identifaction might be made (at a gate or drive) so that the perps may be caught.

My guess is that this was just a stupid act, nobody was actually looking for anythng, just wanted to kill a bunch of fish and did so.

Genuine theft for ptofit would have included taking the catfish, the only thing that had any intrinsic value, and they were left to die on the bank. This is more like vandalism.

At the very least I'd file a report with the game warden and maybe the the sherrif.

Over the years I've had many fish stolen and the "fix" is to catch and prosecute somebody for it, then it stops.

Oil field workers once cleaned out a bass spawning pond, caught most of the big females and put them on stringer, took pictures, and showed them around the local diner, how I caught them. The drilling company paid for the fish and the lost crop.

At a catfish farm I managed I came upon a family set up on the pnd bank on one of the ponds by the road. They had a cooler, lawn chairs and a beach unbrella. I drove up and they showed me a stringer full of catfish, maybe 60 or 70 pounds. I told them this was priivate property, they were tresspassing and if they did not release the fish and leave immediately I was calling the law. They told me "we're from Alabama, if there is a pnd by the road anybody can fish in it." I told them this is Texas and you did not climb over fences to steal people's fishe here or you might get arrested or worse. I didn;t believe 'em anyhow, stealing is stealing no matter where it is.
Posted By: 13MWZ

Re: Thieves - 06/21/13 05:04 PM

Booby traps, wether designed to cause harm to people or property, is a good way to get yourself in big legal troubles. Not worth it to me for some fish.

I'd go with the game camera idea, near the gate and lake. If it's happening at night install some lighting. Decent solar powered lights can be bought for not all that much.

I would also post signs on/near the gate and fence with all the legal jargon about trasspassing and being procecuted. Since most folks dont know what purple markings on the fence post means.

Make sure to cover yourself legaly so when/if they try again and get caught, there will be no way they can play ignorant and pretend they didnt know they were tresspassing and doing wrong. Amazing what people can get away with in todays court system.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Thieves - 06/21/13 11:08 PM

Pilothawk,

Its very important to show this will not be tolerated. Cameras, traps, signs, etc. should all be used...but a stakeout should be considered. These people generally know when no one is around and wait for those times to strike. If necessary, hire someone to do the stakeout. I know from personal experience this works....and once you catch them, then put the fear of prison in them.

The absolute worst thing would be to just let this pass. The ones that do this and get away with it will be bragging to others and the problems will persist and likely escalate.

Believe me, it is well worth it to catch these people and make an example of them.
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Thieves - 06/22/13 12:34 AM

The guy whose property they trespassed is well off. Oil money, I hear. He will have to be the one to put out cameras etc.

These thieves knew what they were doing. The only house that could have seen them working the nets is blocked by the dam. It is some ten to twelve feet high.

I would just like to know what they were after. There are people out there that would have enjoyed catching and eating those cats. This is wanton waste and I agree....it cannot be tolerated.
Posted By: texguppy

Re: Thieves - 06/22/13 01:33 AM

Install cameras or SSS.
Posted By: CypressAg1983

Re: Thieves - 06/22/13 07:16 AM

Camera aren't effective deterrents unless they're visible - and they'd probably get shot or stolen in that case. Even if a hidden game-camera snapped photos of the perps, damage to the fishery will have occurred before the photos are even secured - or used to prosecute.

A few strategically placed t-posts, wrapped with barbed-wire and driven beneath the water-surface within areas that are subject to seining would sure rip up the perp's sein in a hurry.
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Thieves - 06/23/13 01:41 PM

I agree
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Thieves - 06/24/13 09:01 PM

Check this out -- it talks about the legality of booby traps here in TX:

http://blog.matthewharrislaw.com/index_files/BoobyTraps.htm
Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Thieves - 07/01/13 12:49 AM

FWIW to some of you, it's Asian folk out siening
ponds and public waters. TPW is very much aware of this decades old issue
I have 3 rather large surface acre lakes that have all been hit.
My crappie pond is just getting back after 4 yrs recovering( majority of the population is over 1.5-2lb+.
Just $15k later .......
Posted By: FireIsHot

Re: Thieves - 07/01/13 11:06 AM

It boils down to a lack of respect for you, your property, and the law, which I can't tolerate.

I had a friend who actually drove old oil well pipe into the bottom of his pond, and wrapped it with barbed wire to stop seining. It stopped theft, but made it a PITA to fish.

Re: Thieves - 07/01/13 01:29 PM

I have similar set ups on the "easiest" access points
I used what we call sucker rods,without the barbed wire.
Pathetic part is my ponds are nearly 8 miles from the dirt county rd. and nearly 6 miles from the closest paved road.

One of the negatives of Google Earth I guess
I have someone living on the property now,drive way dingers and game cam alert all traffic that pass's the house which is .5 miles before the first access gate.
The young lady living there takes good care of the place
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Thieves - 07/02/13 11:59 AM

One of my neighbors has a game cam that transmits to his home PC. His pond is about 60 miles rom his land. If they steal the cam, it can get serious.

I would also put one somewhere that can get a pic of their license #.

This can get expensive but so can the theft.

My 4 wheelers were stolen last month. I'll probably install one watching the new ones.

Re: Thieves - 07/02/13 12:53 PM

I use the Moultrie systems as well
Posted By: Gary H

Re: Thieves - 07/02/13 06:55 PM

I have 2 properties in East Texas, with trespassing problems. I don't know what to do. I'm gating my boat dock, leaving almost nothing to steal. Its a pain and expensive.
Posted By: salex

Re: Thieves - 07/02/13 08:19 PM

If you are absentee landowner; trespassing can be an issue. Having activity on the ranch is a huge deterrent. Having people coming and going at different times does have an impact.

Re: Thieves - 07/03/13 01:41 PM

They are likely locals and a game cam pic is all the law needs to
sternly warn the offenders.
Be sure to get the infer red no flash,pay now or pay later.
Originally Posted By: Gary H
I have 2 properties in East Texas, with trespassing problems. I don't know what to do. I'm gating my boat dock, leaving almost nothing to steal. Its a pain and expensive.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Thieves - 07/08/13 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: CypressAg83
Camera aren't effective deterrents unless they're visible - and they'd probably get shot or stolen in that case. Even if a hidden game-camera snapped photos of the perps, damage to the fishery will have occurred before the photos are even secured - or used to prosecute.

A few strategically placed t-posts, wrapped with barbed-wire and driven beneath the water-surface within areas that are subject to seining would sure rip up the perp's sein in a hurry.

GENIUS
Posted By: Huck43

Re: Thieves - 07/16/13 05:27 AM

I have a public pond that you have to throwback every fish you catch and not to be against anyone but here in Plano there are a lot of Asians and the last time I had fished at the pond there were Asians catching them and putting them in a cooler full of ice! many people don't realize what they have done until after they come back and wonder what happen to all the fish! fish are good eatn but like really? just go to the store and buy it besides take all the fish away from people!
Posted By: Huck43

Re: Thieves - 07/16/13 05:29 AM

not only did the Asians take our perch but also some stupid teens took a butt load of bass out of the pond! I have to take a PICTURE with the freaken fish and they think I didn't wanna take that monster home?

Re: Thieves - 08/08/13 11:08 PM

Local Warden just popped some "good ole boys" dropping nets in a friends large pond.
Tracked them back to an upscale neighborhood where they found insulated holding tanks behind the fence.Well aerated and such,each tank had 6-7 large bass easily exceeding 8lbs ea.

Warrant Served they document Tournament Pro Rigged bass boat,Ski's,Quad's etc(well to do folk)
Tournament Rigging ? . . . . no doubt!

Simple Trespassing fine and return the fish whip
Posted By: salex

Re: Thieves - 08/09/13 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: CatBoss
Local Warden just popped some "good ole boys" dropping nets in a friends large pond.
Tracked them back to an upscale neighborhood where they found insulated holding tanks behind the fence.Well aerated and such,each tank had 6-7 large bass easily exceeding 8lbs ea.

Warrant Served they document Tournament Pro Rigged bass boat,Ski's,Quad's etc(well to do folk)
Tournament Rigging ? . . . . no doubt!

Simple Trespassing fine and return the fish whip

Do you know where (city) this was and what the good ole boys doing with the fish? For food or re-sale?

Re: Thieves - 08/09/13 01:04 PM

They are stealing fish from ponds and taking them to Tournaments
to pad their weigh in.
Same thing has been happening since the 80's that I know of
Like everything else,.....till you get caught
Posted By: Dreadline

Re: Thieves - 09/06/13 11:46 PM

Just a thought but how about one of those infra red sensor that you can mount accross the access road and wire the alert to a loud speaker mounted some distance away and out of sight. If anyone drives through the beam it would set off the siren and at the very least scare the [censored] out of this morons!??
Posted By: JasonJohnson

Re: Thieves - 10/21/13 11:26 PM

get your shotgun ready with some cameras and warn them. or if you see them shoot in the air they'll never come back again

Re: Thieves - 11/16/13 08:35 PM

Been plenty shoot back!!
Guns are not toys,you pull one you better use it round these parts.
Two ponds were hit recently in Eastland County,land owners truck was hit with 7 rounds of return fire

Originally Posted By: JasonJohnson
get your shotgun ready with some cameras and warn them. or if you see them shoot in the air they'll never come back again
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Thieves - 11/25/13 06:15 PM

Probably a talk to the GW about your concerns along with a good trail cam and you shoulld get'em caught. Something that takes pictures like this.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...ief#Post9511684
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Thieves - 12/21/13 11:11 AM

I don't think the Asian folk would throw away the catfish. From what i've seen, they don't throw anything away.
Posted By: Peepaw

Re: Thieves - 12/21/13 07:54 PM

Bums, get them good!
Posted By: bowfin

Re: Thieves - 12/22/13 01:38 AM

Asians only like scaled fish.
Posted By: the big white dually

Re: Thieves - 12/24/13 11:07 AM

im just puzzled as to why they would throw catfish or any fish for
that matter up on the bank just to die.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum