Texas Fishing Forum

Ponds in North Dallas area

Posted By: SixRustyHooks

Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/09/10 02:55 PM

I am looking for a pond or ponds that are in the area around Plano, frisco,and surrounding cities to fish at without problems. I am a polite individual and do not cause trouble. I don;t makle a mess when I got to a pond. I just LOVE to fish for BASS and the only ponds the I have now are being trashed by people who also go there, get drunk and throw their trash into the pond. The fishing in these ponds has died off drastically and I;m getting depressed. I need ya'lls help. please throw out any info that you have. I will also pay for someone to let me fish in their tank. I will drive a good distance to go fishing. Thanks. fish de
Posted By: Gtexas

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/09/10 07:12 PM

I have caught large fish out of all the ponds that are accessible in this map. Some are on Frito Lay property and you can fish. The one off of Tennison is still open I think..

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.071594,-96.836747&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wlhttp://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.071594,-96.836747&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wlhttp://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.071594,-96.836747&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Posted By: ItsZep

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/10/10 08:50 PM

Anybody remember the old "Fishin Hole" off I-35 and Spur 482 near the old Texas Stadium? I think that lake was originally a giant rock quarry when they made Stemmons Freeway. That body of water used to hold some nice bass. It is very deep. Last I heard they have it fenced off now.
Posted By: JimZilla

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/11/10 06:23 PM

Try Twin Lakes Park in Richardson. It's 3 blocks west of Coit on Cambell Road. Both ponds (about 3 acres each) have bass to 7.5 pounds. The north pond is deeper than the south. Not much structure but has grass and moss that can be fished It is a city park with free access. My biggest there is 5-6 pounds. I helped a guy 2 years ago weigh his 7.5 pounder. Some really pretty fish in there.
Good luck,
Jim

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/11/10 06:37 PM

Thanks y'all that is great info. If anybody lives in the Plano are there is a pond of of Plano parkway at a Methodist church. it is decent fishing. I have had two different men tell me that they have caught a ten pounder out of it but i have yet to see or catch her. Been trying for over a year now.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/11/10 06:41 PM

GTexas I have fished the pond that in the rich neighborhood and caught zero so i went back and now the fenced it off frown

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/12/10 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: JimZilla
Try Twin Lakes Park in Richardson. It's 3 blocks west of Coit on Cambell Road.
Both ponds have bass to 7.5 pounds. The north pond is deeper than the south.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/12/10 02:58 PM

Anyone ever fished these ponds in Carrollton?
I did once with no luck, but I was only there for like 30 minutes

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/12/10 09:57 PM

I have never even seen those ponds before. I'll go and try them out tomorrow.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/13/10 06:23 PM

Which ponds Rusty? Let us know how it turns out.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/13/10 10:22 PM

I went to the twin lakes ponds.Good looking ponds. No structure, lots of thick grass. On the south pond, north side of that pond 10 feet away from a metal railing i see this bare spot on the pond floor. I see this thing that looks like a 4 inch steel pipe. drop my tru-tungsten 4 inch bluegill swimbait at the spot and HOLY SHANANIGANS!!!! It was two BEASTS guarding a ball of fry. spent 4.5 hours, used every lure in both my tackle bags and......................noootthhhiiinnnggg!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Every time i put something in the water they took off and as soon as the lure was out of the water they came back. I was about to dive in after them. I don't know what to do. This has happened to me before. How do you catch these fish when they are guarding their fry or am I just an idiot. I did catch 5 bass after I gave up on those two F#%@&*!.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/13/10 10:25 PM

By the way male was at least 4 pounds and the female had to be at least 6....easy 6!
Posted By: CTFletcher

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/14/10 12:03 AM

try a bass imitation type lure, they are highly cannibalistic and that may be the trigger you need. But then again sometimes you just can't get a bite no matter what.

btw that reminds me of a bad joke, two cannibals were eating a clown and one looked at the other and said "does this taste funny to you?"

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/14/10 12:16 AM

So try a bass swimbait

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/14/10 01:19 PM

i wonder if something like this Bagley semi-floater may work? because don't bream eat bass fry?

Posted By: barryfish

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/20/10 01:53 AM

the problem with fishing these ponds in dallas and surrounding areas is people fish them too much and end up keeping everything and anything!! so then we dont have anything to catch. I know of one place that no one will keep any fish and you hardly ever see people at but its in downtown dallas off oaklawn called turtle creeks. i have caught big bass and will be catching them when i go home june 1st
Posted By: coreguy

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/30/10 11:40 PM

why does no one keep the fish there??
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/31/10 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: SixRustyHooks
I went to the twin lakes ponds.Good looking ponds. No structure, lots of thick grass. On the south pond, north side of that pond 10 feet away from a metal railing i see this bare spot on the pond floor. I see this thing that looks like a 4 inch steel pipe. drop my tru-tungsten 4 inch bluegill swimbait at the spot and HOLY SHANANIGANS!!!! It was two BEASTS guarding a ball of fry. spent 4.5 hours, used every lure in both my tackle bags and......................noootthhhiiinnnggg!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Every time i put something in the water they took off and as soon as the lure was out of the water they came back. I was about to dive in after them. I don't know what to do. This has happened to me before. How do you catch these fish when they are guarding their fry or am I just an idiot. I did catch 5 bass after I gave up on those two F#%@&*!.

I caught a bass there this spring that went just a hair under 11. There are some giants in there. Also, there are some big catfish. Caught one two days ago that hit my baby brush hog that went a measly 16 lbs 10 oz. Those ponds do get a ton of fishing pressure though. Makes the fishing tough sometimes.
Posted By: HammerPants

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/01/10 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: barryfish
the problem with fishing these ponds in dallas and surrounding areas is people fish them too much and end up keeping everything and anything!!

The last time I was out at those ponds off Campbell in Richardson, I watched 3 people set up a shoreside camp and basically work on filling up a cooler with bass. I'm not sure how many they left with, but I saw two really nice ones get tossed in their box while I was there. It was a little annoying to say the least.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/02/10 06:17 PM

i drive campbell to work everyday, the south pond was drained dry about 5 years ago, not sure what they were doing to it.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/02/10 06:40 PM

Anyone ever fished this pond at Frankford & the North Dallas Tollway?

I tried on Monday at sundown, but didn't get
any strikes, but some guy walked by with a
pole and told me he has caught some "nice" bass
out of this pond. The water was muddy and didn't
seem that fresh, like maybe there is not a real
great flow of water through this pond. But very
easy access and nice setting.

Posted By: BP Ray T

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/06/10 02:49 AM

I've been fishing at Oak Point in Plano since the summer started. I've caught something almost every time I've been out, but usually sunfish. I have caught a couple decent fish a little before sunset. The one below is the biggest I've caught out there, but I can't complain since it's 5 minutes from the house.

I always see people out there with their buckets, but I've honestly never seen any of them catch anything.

Posted By: Rammer

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/07/10 08:32 PM

The pond off Tennyson has changed in the last year or so as it is now part of a gated subdivision and includes a fountain. Please let me know if you are catching anything there as I am under the impression that is currently void of all fish life.

King's Ridge has a private pond with bass that put up an excellent fight. Unfortunately, there are "no fishing" signs. The home owners association recently paid to obtain two swans with clipped wings and they believe any fishing will lead to early deaths of the swans.

Shoal Creek and Wolf Creek Estates drained and dredged their ponds (for residents only) last year. The former had very aggressive bait stealing snapping turtles.

Never even got a nibble on one of the old farm ponds on undeveloped Austin Ranch property (Schiff Lake?).

The pond at Plano's Arbor Hills Nature Preserve is very tiny and shallow. I have never seen a fish there, but never tried fishing.

My eight year old has the fishing bug and I typically take him to the lake/creek near Tennyson and Preston as we can almost always at least catch some sunfish/brim.

Here's somebody's North Texas Bank Fishing Spots

And someone else created Lake Lewisville, Ray Roberts, Lake Lavon Bank Fishing Map.

I'd love to hear about hot spots (ponds or creeks) near Midway/Springcreek.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/09/10 02:18 PM

Last sunday evening I stopped by the two ponds off Campbell Road near Coit. There were at least 6-8 fishermen out there. Mostly bass fishermen casting artificial baits. I caught a small bass in the north pond. A guy walking a dog that lives across the street told me they drained both ponds about 5 years ago and that the ponds are close to twenty feet deep. He also said they stock the two lakes on a regular basis. He said most people throw the fish back, but that some don't. He said awhile back some Korean guys were out there and claimed they were fishing for fish to serve in their Korean restaurant in Garland. Here is the small bass I caught last sunday eve.

Posted By: bassitup

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: HammerPants
Originally Posted By: barryfish
the problem with fishing these ponds in dallas and surrounding areas is people fish them too much and end up keeping everything and anything!!

The last time I was out at those ponds off Campbell in Richardson, I watched 3 people set up a shoreside camp and basically work on filling up a cooler with bass. I'm not sure how many they left with, but I saw two really nice ones get tossed in their box while I was there. It was a little annoying to say the least.
A quick call to the game warden would have solved your anger issue

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: bassitup
A quick call to the game warden would have solved your anger issue

Annoying to say the least, but definitely not anywhere close to an anger issue.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 04:42 PM

That might not be a bad idea to keep the game
warden's telephone number in a cell phone directory.

Thanks!

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ItsZep
That might not be a bad idea to keep the game
warden's telephone number in a cell phone directory.

Thanks!

Yeah, but who has those types of minutes on their calling plan where they can just be making calls like that??

I don't know about you guys, but I work for my money.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 07:06 PM

whatz a calling plan?

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 07:13 PM

whatz a calling plan?

Its that contract that keeps you from sitting around making cell phone calls all day like you're freakin' Puff Daddy.

I guess some people can just burn cash, though, chitchatting with the game warden. It must be nice to live that kind of lifestyle.

Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/10/10 07:18 PM

frankford and tollway has some massive Pacu and grasscarp in it seen some nice bass but I wasn't targeting them.

the one on keller springs used to be decent allot of the fish died when they started construction on the old folks home over there.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/11/10 07:19 PM

re: "Pacu and grasscarp"

would pacu bite on the same baits that carp do?
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/12/10 04:47 AM

pacu i have caught have all been on a buggy fly...that I use for carp...havent bait fished it.
Posted By: Rammer

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 06/17/10 04:24 PM

Anyone ever fished this pond at Frankford & the North Dallas Tollway?

Took my sons there last Friday night at dusk and we were catching sunfish (some quite large and feisty) on every cast using lunch meat. Great place for kids. Crimped the barb on the hooks with some pliers because those larger sunfish were swallowing the hook deeply. Older son caught a dinky LMB. Saw another fisherman hook one that was 3-4 lbs but it spit the hook before he could get it ashore. Definitely a convenient spot. Beware, one of the elder neighbors, Claudette, is likely to approach and lecture about trash injuring the birds. We always clean up and stay away from trees, which is where most lines get snagged.
Posted By: texas01

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/23/11 08:06 PM

Twin lakes has huge bass in it, I have fished it for quite a few years. I have personally caught a bass just over 10 1/2 lbs and several in the 7-9 range. I was out their once when they were treating/shocking the tank and they pulled out a 13 lb bass. I was told by the people that the largest they shocked was 14. It does get pressure and the water is farily clear, so it can be tough. I have always done well on the north side. Throw a worm right up against the drain and hold on, there are some monsters right there. It's a great summer night fishing spot, no pressure. They did dredge it about 5 years ago due to leafs and sludge taking over. Plenty of people in that neighborhood have stocked it with their own catch from other lakes. About a month ago I was fishing and talking to guy who put 10 bass ( some nice ones )from lake Fork in their on his way back to the house.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/23/11 11:00 PM

may have to hit the place up saturday morning
Posted By: Andouille

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/25/11 06:58 PM

The weekends on the Twin lakes ponds are busy. Right now they are very cloudy. You definitely want to go weedless or you'll spend half your time pulling junk of your bait.

I always tell people keeping fish about the trash I've pulled out, i.e. diapers, condoms, etc. They normally put them back after that.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/26/11 05:35 PM

went to twin lakes park this morning. threw several different plastics on T-rig. got one hit and missed hookset. seen a couple dinks swimming and looked like some fry. over all wasn't impressed. did see a couple people catch small ones but that was about it
Posted By: planofishman

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/27/11 02:26 AM

There are some good bass in these lakes, but I think the quantity and size are grossly exaggerated.
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 04/13/11 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Gtexas
I have caught large fish out of all the ponds that are accessible in this map. Some are on Frito Lay property and you can fish. The one off of Tennison is still open I think..

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.071594,-96.836747&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wlhttp://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.071594,-96.836747&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wlhttp://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=33.071594,-96.836747&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

What pond on Frito Lay's property do you fish. I work next door and see signs all over the place not to fish.
Posted By: Sunfish Fly

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 04/18/11 03:22 AM

Some 20+ cats in the twin lakes as well
Posted By: goozfrahbah

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 04/28/11 05:42 AM

Richland College has a lot of bass in it anywhere from 1-5lbs. I've gone there and not caught a thing, but gone there and caught 4-5 fish in a night as well. Guess it just depends on the time of year / bait you're throwing.
Posted By: TheFirstNameThat

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/07/11 09:11 PM

Anyone ever fished these ponds in Carrollton?
I did once with no luck, but I was only there for like 30 minutes

I grew up in Carrollton. The pond closer to Josey was an old brick pit and was also part of the Josey Rancho. It had some great fish in it, but they drained it when the Senior Center was built. So, I can't tell you what was put back in there.

The cement pond goes through phases, but I couldn't tell you what it's like now. I've had years where I caught nice bass, lots of catfish, and my two largest crappie ever there. My dad's largest bass was caught there 15yrs ago. I also caught carp there.

The creek behind there may be worth a try. My largest bass was in that creek, but of course, they messed with the creek for erosion control, so I don't know where the fish are now. I'd say close to bridge at train tracks or at Ryan Rd., or across Josey...behind frisbee golf course.
Posted By: Sunfish Fly

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/24/11 09:58 PM

Fished that pond at the tollway and Frankford Sunday, did pretty well but the fish were kinda small pics on my blog. My friend got one that was about 2lbsand I saw a nice bluecat caught by the dam
http://sunfish-fly.blogspot.com
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/25/11 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: SixRustyHooks
I am looking for a pond or ponds that are in the area around Plano, frisco,and surrounding cities to fish at without problems. I am a polite individual and do not cause trouble. I don;t makle a mess when I got to a pond. I just LOVE to fish for BASS and the only ponds the I have now are being trashed by people who also go there, get drunk and throw their trash into the pond. The fishing in these ponds has died off drastically and I;m getting depressed. I need ya'lls help. please throw out any info that you have. I will also pay for someone to let me fish in their tank. I will drive a good distance to go fishing. Thanks. fish de

Follow the Dallas Fly Fishers on facebook or at their site Dallas Fly Fishers website. They fish almost every Friday, urban waters. If you can't get off on Friday, you can check to see how the fishing was and hit the spot on Saturday.
Posted By: Bassminator123

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 10/19/11 09:35 PM

I have fished the lake on 482 and 35 for a number of years and have caught many nice quality bass out of there. There is access to it on the east side of the lake. Good luck! That was the quarry they used for the construction of I35 and it is about 35ft deep. I still go out ther every time i get a chance. Happy fishin'

Posted By: Bassminator123

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/13/12 05:15 PM

Are there any good bass ponds in the Euless Bedford Arlington area?

Posted By: R Ellis

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 03/14/12 07:19 PM

I also work next door to the Frito Lay corp ofice. After reading this post I walked over to the large pond and it def looks like its holding fish but there are signs everywhere warning not to fish. Any other ponds close by that can be fished on ones lunch break????

Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 01/15/22 02:54 PM

I know this is an old post but want to bring it back up now that I don't have a boat anymore.
Posted By: Pham0100

Re: Ponds in North Dallas area - 05/03/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bassdeer
I know this is an old post but want to bring it back up now that I don't have a boat anymore.

Nobody replied to you for that long? I've been mostly doing ponds in North Texas. Most have bass and bluegill in them! But I've also noticed that the fish in every pond have quite different behaviors.

You just have to experiment with a variety of bait. Soft plastics using more finesse techniques seem to work the best. Every pond will have certain hot spots for them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum