Texas Fishing Forum

Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now-

Posted By: steveiam

Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/02/21 09:22 PM

So they are starting a new small pond, should be around 1/2-3/4 acres, tomorrow.
Should I let it “cycle” before stocking it?
This is just for me and the grandkids to fish out of, I don’t intend on making a bass utopia.
I plan on putting in structure for the fish, just not sure of the proper timing to add various fish, if the even is a “proper timing.

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 12:28 AM

wouldn't normal rain & the run off already be cycled?
IMHO
that will be fun

we fed our fish in our tank
the bluegill got huge

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 02:22 AM

It may be Butch but I don’t what I don’t know-
I’d hate to buy fish from a fish farm and it not be ready with necessary nutrients and such.
I know when I was doing aquariums you shouldn’t just immediately put fish in for a short while.
This is gonna be fun though, they dropped off the equipment last week but have been waiting for a few dry days before they started because they didn’t want it to try to fill up before they were through.
I plan on stocking it with things I catch myself and with a cast net to supplement also, I just don’t want put in the fish farm fish till I’m sure-
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 04:22 AM

If it were mine, I'd go ahead and stock fathead minnows as soon as the pond has plenty of water in it. It will take several weeks(even months) for the water to clear but minnows can survive and thrive just fine right away. I'd also be very careful about "cast net" stocking....very easy to get undesirable species of fish not to mention plants that way. Bring in your bluegills in early spring and bass to control the population in the fall. That should get things off to a good start.

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Meadowlark
If it were mine, I'd go ahead and stock fathead minnows as soon as the pond has plenty of water in it. It will take several weeks(even months) for the water to clear but minnows can survive and thrive just fine right away. I'd also be very careful about "cast net" stocking....very easy to get undesirable species of fish not to mention plants that way. Bring in your bluegills in early spring and bass to control the population in the fall. That should get things off to a good start.

This is the kind of good advice I was looking for, thank you very much.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 05:19 PM

I agree with Meadowlark. Stock your fatheads now. Depending on how deep your pond is in the fall I would look at adding bluegills. Next spring I would add my bass.

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
I agree with Meadowlark. Stock your fatheads now. Depending on how deep your pond is in the fall I would look at adding bluegills. Next spring I would add my bass.

Thanks Brando, last night I looked at about the last three years of meadowlarks post where the title referred to something similar and I saw you in many of those threads also, you both gave out great advise and I feel like I learned quite a lot of things that I didn’t know before.
I think this a great way to learn more about this new adventure.
I really appreciate that you guys take the time to explain things that y’all have experienced and I know that it will help me with this-
As I have time I will search farther as it looks like whatever I may run into has been addressed before, but if I need to I’ll be sure and ask again because someone else may look back later and need what I asked already answered.
cheers
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 07:17 PM

How deep is the pond going to be Steve? What types of structure are they building? Like some spawning flats close to deep water, maybe some little humps or ridges?

Nice rock pile going from deep to shallow never hurt anything!

What a fun project. That will be so much fun for years to come

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 07:53 PM

They were supposed to start today but it was still too muddy-
So hopefully tomorrow-

Dan the plan we talked about it will have some different elevations with a couple of humps along with some “rock type” structure I’m planning to build with heydock blocks, also plan to use some small trees with the root balls still on them.
One area I will keep smooth and clear of these things up to one side of a planned dock for the grandkids to use as a swimming hole-
Yes it is pretty exciting-
I’m building in a creek bed that already has a pretty good elevation change, what nature has already done makes it a very good spot I think.
Think of an elongated figure 8, turned on its side, is what I’m starting with.
We will build the dam on the side looking to the right, with that being the deep side15-18 feet.
The left side circle of the figure 8 is where the watershed will come in, and will be the shallower side.
Between where the 2 “0’s are, is a natural hump and will sort of divide the deep from the shallow end.
That’s the plan anyway, if we get close to that I will be happy.

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 11:12 PM

Steve one thing I did this winter was put out some spawning beds. I got some of those plastic water heater drain pans and filled them with large pea gravel. Not sure if they are gonna work but in theory they should.

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/03/21 11:38 PM

That sounds like something that should work sir!
Please let us know if it works-
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/04/21 12:19 AM

Mississippi State Ag Extension Service is known for having an excellent farm pond management program. Texas weather patterns are really no different than in MS, so the info at this website will apply to your case. There are quite a few publications on both management and stocking guidelines.

Start here: Mississippi State Farm Pond Management

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/04/21 01:19 AM

Steve if you have the means and ability I would strongly consider putting some riff raff along the dam as well

Re: Questions about a new pond- - 03/04/21 02:46 AM

Steve if you have the means and ability I would strongly consider putting some riff raff along the dam as well

I’m not sure what that may cost Brandon but I’m betting it would put me way over budget for what I am using this for-
But thanks for the suggestion though, I’m sure it would help with the fish, and I did ask for advice.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/04/21 02:22 PM

And so it begins-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/04/21 09:09 PM

Any more updates?

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/04/21 10:48 PM

Any more updates?

Yessir-
Day 1 with only 1 dozer, they will run 2 tomorrow-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/04/21 11:36 PM

Cool project for sure. Get your grandkids involved and they will really love and appreciated it more than just fishing

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/05/21 12:46 AM

Cool project for sure. Get your grandkids involved and they will really love and appreciated it more than just fishing

Yessir I’ve had three out here this evening and they are very excited-

He is another for scale-

[Linked Image]

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/05/21 12:49 AM

That’s awesome. Try to make it a point they are there for every fish stocking . Also start building your dock now or as soon as they are finished

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/05/21 12:59 AM

My two sons were there this evening also and they are already planning the dock,
We have 6 kayaks between us and a kayak “boat house” is in the plan also-
From the dam to the shallow end should be close to 3/4 of a football field.
I know there are many bigger ponds out there but this one is mine, it’s what I have and we are all excited to enjoy it.
I appreciate the interest and the tips, this is a first for me.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/05/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by steveiam
My two sons were there this evening also and they are already planning the dock,
I know there are many bigger ponds out there but this one is mine, it’s what I have and we are all excited to enjoy it.

I know y’all are going to enjoy it. The process is as rewarding as the catch. Doesn’t matter if it’s 3/4 of and acre or 50 acres. Watching it grow is like Christmas every morning.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/05/21 01:49 AM

I know y’all are going to enjoy it. The process is as rewarding as the catch. Doesn’t matter if it’s 3/4 of and acre or 50 acres. Watching it grow is like Christmas every morning.

Lol-
I have been referring to this pond using the Christmas analogy several times now.
It’s been a long time since I’ve been this giddy about something.
cheers

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/05/21 02:31 AM

When mom and dad bought the Ribbit and I had a new 15 acre lake to work with it was a dream come true. I wasn’t part of the build and initial bait stocking, but the rest I’ve been right there. I tell people Ribbit lake is my second child and the management is as fun as the reward. Watching friends come out and have the opportunity to catch a DD gets me fired up. Seeing them catch their PB gives me almost more joy than me catching a DD. The only one who can top my excitement will be when Riley catches her first DD

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/26/21 06:23 PM

So we had the first good rain since the dig, it at least made a puddle, then after the storms Wednesday night, just over 3 inches filled it up about halfway, it still needs to finish filling the main pond, and then fill the shallow end.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/26/21 07:57 PM

Did you survey to understand where the shoreline will be when filled? No flat area with washed gravel for spawning?

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/26/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Did you survey to understand where the shoreline will be when filled? No flat area with washed gravel for spawning?

As far as the shoreline yes he had lasers for that-
No on the gravel, plenty of flat area when it fills.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 03/26/21 08:23 PM

You should think about getting just one load of washed rock, it can be spread a bit as dumped, making hand work limited. Now is the one opportunity to make a big improvement that will last for a very long time. The fish will fan silt off of it for years to come.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 04/18/21 10:09 PM

One inexpensive idea I heard of guys doing for spawning areas was taking kiddie pools, placing those in a likely spawning areas and filling them with gravel. Seen them put say half a dozen along a bank. Story is bass will use them later sunfish will use them.

When the sunfish move in to spawn on them... thats where you fish for the bass with your bluegill swimbaits smile

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 04/19/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
One inexpensive idea I heard of guys doing for spawning areas was taking kiddie pools, placing those in a likely spawning areas and filling them with gravel. Seen them put say half a dozen along a bank. Story is bass will use them later sunfish will use them.

When the sunfish move in to spawn on them... thats where you fish for the bass with your bluegill swimbaits smile

I like that Dan, I’ll check into doing this, I’ll let you know.
We got some more water last rain, it’s at about 60% now.
We’ve already put in over 120 various bluegill/sunfish from the pond next door and the creek, also a bunch of crawdads, my fish farm stock comes in may 1st.
My 10 yo grandson caught this nice one yesterday and I met him put it in there, but I’m wanting to hold off on more bass until I get a better forage base-
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/14/21 04:18 PM

Can i ask who you used to dig the pond?

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/15/21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rowlettfisherman
Can i ask who you used to dig the pond?

Yessir, PM sent.
I highly recommend him.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/16/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I like that Dan, I’ll check into doing this, I’ll let you know.
We got some more water last rain, it’s at about 60% now.
We’ve already put in over 120 various bluegill/sunfish from the pond next door and the creek, also a bunch of crawdads, my fish farm stock comes in may 1st.
My 10 yo grandson caught this nice one yesterday and I met him put it in there, but I’m wanting to hold off on more bass until I get a better forage base-
[Linked Image]

You can also use water heater drain pans. I used cheap 20-24" plastic ones that cost around $5
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/16/21 07:57 PM

Watching with great interest.

OP. like you, we recently had a 1/2 acre pond dug here in Grayson county. Unlike yours though, they hit ground water and had to use pumps & move fast in order to finish. So I didn't get all the structure I wanted, but between the rains and ground water my pond is full as it will ever be. Overflow still running out of the spillway as I type this.

Almost immediately I got tadpoles and frogs. Within a couple weeks we spotted a very big turtle on the bank. Still not sure where he came from.

Not knowing any better than you but eager to see what happened, about a month ago I brought home six dozen minnows and dumped them in. As far as I can tell, either none died and they're still in there, or they were turtle/bird food already.

I was thinking about waiting until some water vegetation appeared so I could start stocking, but after reading this thread I may source some Bluegill soon.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/16/21 08:50 PM

You people who are randomly (and haphazardly to your possible ignorance on the matter) stocking ponds should probably read some material on it. Introducing the wrong fish (such as a large bass) at the wrong time can be very counterproductive for a desirable future result. Adding small fish of an unknown species or a species you should not add but don't know not to add can also be detrimental. Example: adding "creek perch" that will take up biomass, but never attain any useful food size. Those can overpopulate quickly, making a later attempt to add coppernose bluegill have a less than desirable outcome. Farm pond stocking is so "fickle" that many who do know what they are doing will tell you the best thing to do to a "messed up pond" is to poison it before spending any money on the proper fingerlings to stock it. I was told all this by someone in the business who had nothing to gain from doing so. I was also told this by a university extension service employee who provides assistance to those establishing and managing a farm pond.
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/16/21 10:24 PM

I will stock my pond as randomly and haphazardly as my ignorance allows.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/16/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by diggerwolf
I will stock my pond as randomly and haphazardly as my ignorance allows.

Yes, you can, but it will be screwed up. It didn't appear you knew any better, so I attempted to advise you might want to look into the proper process. You would have had a lot nicer place to fish from doing so. Later, you'll probably come back and complain the pond isn't doing very well. roflmao

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/17/21 12:04 AM

I agree about stocking. If you’re just wanting to catch fish just, stock however you want. If you want to make it a quality big fish lake you really have to manage it. I guess my ignorance has paid off or I got damn lucky. But we got a pretty special place.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/17/21 01:09 AM

Also will add that I don’t care two [censored] what anybody tries to tell you , Mother Nature finds a way. We didn’t stock bullheads in our lake but last year we found a 9lb bass floating with one stuck into throat. We have caught five or six. No way they could have come in from the creeks that feed the lake. Same thing with green sunfish. We didn’t stock them but they found away.

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/17/21 01:21 AM

Also will add that I don’t care two [censored] what anybody tries to tell you , Mother Nature finds a way. We didn’t stock bullheads in our lake but last year we found a 9lb bass floating with one stuck into throat. We have caught five or six. No way they could have come in from the creeks that feed the lake. Same thing with green sunfish. We didn’t stock them but they found away.

Here's a difference that would matter when other species enter BEFORE vs. AFTER a pond is established: If a pond without fish (or few fish) has such an undesirable species introduced, that species has the opportunity to expand rapidly with no restraint. Small perch species will do this, especially if adults are introduced. A few eggs on an egret's feet would take a long time to do so, but intentional introduction is a bad move. If you later bring in a desirable bluegill, the bluegill will not gain a foothold as readily as they might if the pond wasn't already loaded up with creek perch. Fish will restrain or even stop spawning when the biomass load is excessive. So, desirable coppernose bluegill might not succeed later if the pond was already loaded up with creek perch.

However, if a pond is established, and you have a healthy population and balance of prey (typically bluegill in a pond) and predator (typically bass, sometimes catfish) then an egret bringing in a few perch eggs at a later point in time puts THAT species at the great disadvantage. There are very few eggs introduced at one time, and there are a lot of desirable established fish that will eat the ones that may hatch. The "creek perch" don't stand a chance in that scenario.

So, therein lies the difference.....

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/17/21 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Here's a difference that would matter when other species enter BEFORE vs. AFTER a pond is established: If a pond without fish (or few fish) has such an undesirable species introduced, that species has the opportunity to expand rapidly with no restraint. Small perch species will do this, especially if adults are introduced. A few eggs on an egret's feet would take a long time to do so, but intentional introduction is a bad move. If you later bring in a desirable bluegill, the bluegill will not gain a foothold as readily as they might if the pond wasn't already loaded up with creek perch. Fish will restrain or even stop spawning when the biomass load is excessive. So, desirable coppernose bluegill might not succeed later if the pond was already loaded up with creek perch.

However, if a pond is established, and you have a healthy population and balance of prey (typically bluegill in a pond) and predator (typically bass, sometimes catfish) then an egret bringing in a few perch eggs at a later point in time puts THAT species at the great disadvantage. There are very few eggs introduced at one time, and there are a lot of desirable established fish that will eat the ones that may hatch. The "creek perch" don't stand a chance in that scenario.

So, therein lies the difference.....

I don’t disagree at all

Re: Questions about a new pond-Update, it’s on its way now- - 06/17/21 03:36 PM

I really do appreciate any and all advice many of you take the time to type out, as I believe many that need to see this advice can either see it now or will find it in a search sometime later.

I don’t mean to offend anyone but my intent was not a “well managed” big fish pond.
And that’s ok.
My intent was to have a small fishing hole that I could go fishing with my grandkids and hope to introduce them to the joys of watching a bobber go under, or fishing a tight line and watching the rod bend when a fish hooks up.

There are multiple body’s of water close to me and I wouldn’t live long enough to be able to compete with the types of fish available close by.

We have already several trips to this new pond and have caught fish, we are also seeing new baby fish already so something is working.

If all this pond does is provide a place to possibly stir the desire to fish in anyone of any age then I will smile because of it.

Again though I really do appreciate all the advice you guys have given me, it has helped me and I’m sure it will help others according to what kind of pond they are wanting.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum