Texas Fishing Forum

Cormorant Harvest Permits?

Posted By: buggsboy

Cormorant Harvest Permits? - 01/16/18 09:38 PM

Are permits to harvest nuisance cormorants still available? This would be for a private club lake of about 50 acres. Thanks
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Cormorant Harvest Permits? - 01/17/18 12:40 AM

Not through Texas. Here is a "short" report for more information. I know now why the population has exploded? Only a little over 500 birds have been taken over the last decade. How many potential trophy fish have these predators taken? They have disseminated the fish population in our pond.

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/management/double-crested-cormorants/CormorantEA.pdf
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Cormorant Harvest Permits? - 01/17/18 02:41 PM

My understanding is that Texas has decided to end the cormorant permit program.

I haven't seen hardly any on my ponds the last few years. Not sure why that is...but very grateful for that.

A 50 acre club lake would be difficult to protect, especially if it has any shad in it. Shad seems to be a magnet for attracting the water turkeys.

I have a "never been fired" propane cannon still in the box if anyone is interested in that.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Cormorant Harvest Permits? - 01/17/18 03:57 PM

The 77 acre lake I live on used to have hundreds of cormorants in the winter. There was an effort and permits obtained to control them. I haven’t seen any this winter, although, most winters there’s a big bunch of them out there. I used to see bass with scars on them from close encounters with the birds.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Cormorant Harvest Permits? - 01/17/18 05:15 PM

.22lr bolt
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum