Texas Fishing Forum

Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations??

Posted By: ksalmon

Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 03:36 PM

Looking to really give the c-rig a try. What is a good rod to go with? Prefer to keep it at or below $100.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 03:40 PM

I use a Duckett Triad 7'3 MH. No complaints here. Used a Heavy action rod for awhile, but switching to a little softer rod and a lighter wire hook has helped get more of them to the boat for me personally.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 03:59 PM

I've really like the BPS Johnny Morris carbonlite rods. I use a 7'0" MH and I'm about to buy a 7'3".
Posted By: popcork

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 06:34 PM

Falcon Carolina Lizard Dragger
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 06:39 PM

Academy Ethos HD....7'3" heavy.

$69 and the worlds best warranty.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: popcork
Falcon Carolina Lizard Dragger

x2
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 07:41 PM

Falcon Carolina Cara
Falcon Lizard Dragger II (in Cara or LowRider version)
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 07:46 PM

I fish C-Rigs all the time .
I have two set-ups rigged and ready .
1) medium heavy , 7' , fast action , G Loomis . I use this for deeper water 10+ feet and deeper , and rocky area's . 15lb main , 10 or 12 lb flouro leader
2) Medium action spinning rod , 7' , fast action . 10-12 pound main with 8-10 lb flour leader . I tend to use this for pre-spawn and spawn . My PB came on this rig @ 12.4lbs
tight lines
Posted By: Chet

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 10/31/17 10:40 PM

7'5" GLX MH 20lb invisx and 3 ft. green mono leader (12-15lb) and 1/2 once weight if I can get buy with it. Deep 3/4 - 1 once.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 12:24 AM

Buy two Berkeley Lightnings....one heavy in 7-3" and one med heavy 7'.

Keep two C-rigs on the deck.
A shorter/lighter job for shallow work, and a big heavy rig with a longer leader for the deep stuff.

Both for under $90
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 01:02 AM

Go on to Skeeter's web page....find the tournament owners information....buy a left over TFO tactical Heavy for $100 shipped.... you're welcome

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 01:34 AM

Appreciate the information.

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 01:45 AM

I thought a mono leader was best due to it floating. Reading some folks going with fluoro??
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 02:34 AM

Falcon Carolina Cara...7'6 and perfect
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
I thought a mono leader was best due to it floating. Reading some folks going with fluoro??

With a mono leader it will still sink, not quite as fast as a leader of fluorocarbon but it will sink unless you use a bait that floats.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 12:55 PM

Several of the rods suggested are not in the $100 price range he was asking for.

I use a Dobyns 784 Extreme and love it for a C-rig rod but it is not a $100 rod.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I agree....but not in his preferred price range.
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 01:53 PM

The Dobyn's Colt Series 704c is under $100.00 and a great rod for the money you really cant beat them for the price
Posted By: buton

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 01:54 PM

Carolina Cara... Great Falcon rod
Posted By: 361V

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 01:58 PM

Yep, I was thinking the same thing Steez. Some of those recommendations are 2-1/2 times the requested suggestions. I have a couple Falcon Lowriders in the Lizard Dragger 1 and 2 models and they are GREAT c-rig rods but even the Lowriders are not in the price point the OP specified. It's a though people read the title of a post and start firing responses without even reading the content of the post! bang Oh, by the way did I mention the Falcon Lowrider Lizard Dragger was a great Carolina rig rod? Can still find them occasionally for 125-150. :-)

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 03:30 PM

I just have a tough time rationalizing paying over a hundred for any rod. Not a tournament fisher or anything just like to fish. Will average about 1-2 times a week on the lake.

Wanted to add the c-rig to my arsena without breaking the bank lol. Thank you again for those that submitted your opinions.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Yep, I was thinking the same thing Steez. Some of those recommendations are 2-1/2 times the requested suggestions. I have a couple Falcon Lowriders in the Lizard Dragger 1 and 2 models and they are GREAT c-rig rods but even the Lowriders are not in the price point the OP specified. It's a though people read the title of a post and start firing responses without even reading the content of the post! bang Oh, by the way did I mention the Falcon Lowrider Lizard Dragger was a great Carolina rig rod? Can still find them occasionally for 125-150. :-)

Bucoo is a great rod and can be found in the range. I purchased one for 50 with the tags in the classifieds not to long ago
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 08:17 PM

I just have a tough time rationalizing paying over a hundred for any rod. Not a tournament fisher or anything just like to fish. Will average about 1-2 times a week on the lake.

you can get a good Rig rod for $100 or less, there are some good suggestions above.

I went on Tackle Warehouse site and applied filters to a search. Price < 105, 7'3-7'6, Fast or XFast taper, Heavy action. Might give you some additional ideas,
and you can fine-tune the filters if you want. TW - Rods
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/01/17 11:38 PM

Nothing wrong the the Falcon rods, but I would go with the Dobyns Fury 734C for C-rigs. It is a versatile H rod for a lot of applications. It is a LITTLE outside your price range at $109.99. Here is a link.

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-734c/

Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/02/17 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I agree. Use it for A-rig and wobble heads too

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/02/17 01:26 AM

That Dobyns rod looks like it may be exactly what I've been looking for.

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/02/17 01:41 AM

For $100 Abu veritas 2.0 7'6 MH works great. Can handle over an ounce and doubles as a great big worm rod
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/02/17 12:14 PM

Ive fished with 7' cara lizard dragger for a couple years now and wished it was longer. So i bought a couple rods in 7'3'' and 7'6'' and it pretty much stays on the 7'6''. A rod that short and heavy really does not have a good enough action when setting hooks on deeper water fish. if you plan to normally fish in less than 10' i would say it would work, any deeper i would go longer.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/02/17 12:53 PM

By far, the sweetest setup I've ever had for CR is my Dobyn's Champion Series 804C (Carolina Riggin' Special) with a high-speed 200 size reel on it. The larger spool and high inch-per-turn are great: extend casting distance, and assist with taking up line if a fish runs toward me. The longer rod is a huge benefit in my opinion, and not an issue as CR is typically not a close-quarters technique for me.

Opps, I scanned the topic too fast. This rod is too expensive, but maybe there's a Fury equivalent that would be more economical.....

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/03/17 01:13 AM

I've read recommendations saying H and MH. If you were going with just one for now which would you select?

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/03/17 01:30 AM

I've read recommendations saying H and MH. If you were going with just one for now which would you select?

Depends on the blank. Some mh are like another brands h. Just have to fish them and see what you like.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Carolina Rig Rod Recommendations?? - 11/05/17 03:52 AM

I have to agree with the Dobyn Champion 804 carolina rig rod. It is EXTREMELY nice for that application, but that is outside of your price range. That is why I recommended the Fury rod. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck..

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum