Texas Fishing Forum

Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro

Posted By: Aggie34

Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 01:11 PM

Looking at the champion extreme or the new Imx pro. Will be a trig, jig, etc rod. Gloomis will probably be a 853 or 893.dobyns will be a 743. Which do you think is the better rod? Top of the line Dobyns or middle of the road gloomis?
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 02:18 PM

I have an IMX pro and its a great rod. I highly recommend it.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 02:25 PM

I owned mostly all Dobyns extreme's. I would take the Dobyns over the IMX. I have heard a lot of good from the high end Loomis. I know a few people who owned both rods. This is what they say the Dobyns Extreme is just under the high end, I think its NRX, Loomis but for the price difference between the two their wasn't enough difference for them to spent and extra 200 dollars for the NRX. They decided to buy the Dobyns extreme. I do not think the IMX is in the same class with the Extreme. The Extreme is more like the NRX with the NRX is slightly better according to the people I have talked to who owned both.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 02:32 PM

I've owned both and the IMX blows the Champion Extreme out of the water. The IMX is way more sensitive and balanced than the Champion Extreme. That being said, the Champion Extreme is lighter. If it were me, I'd go with the IMX.

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 02:35 PM

I was leaning towards the Dobyns so that makes me more decisive on my decision. Is the 743 a little light for jigs and trig?the 744 be a better option?
Posted By: Jigaholic

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggie34
I was leaning towards the Dobyns so that makes me more decisive on my decision. Is the 743 a little light for jigs and trig?the 744 be a better option?

744 for T rigs, 745 for Jigs. That is my set up anyway. The 745 extreme is my favorite rod I have ever owned.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jigaholic
Originally Posted By: Aggie34

744 for T rigs, 745 for Jigs. That is my set up anyway. The 745 extreme is my favorite rod I have ever owned.

Agreed. I have the 745 in the Extreme series, and use it for jigs. It's a fantastic rod. The 744 is probably the best choice if you're primarily using the rod for trigs and some jig fishing.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 03:16 PM

I guess it depends on what line and how strong of a rod you want. I use my 743 for light T-rig and jigs in shallow water. I use the 744 in deeper water for T-Rig. I use my 745 for jig fishing with heavy line and a round stumps where I need to move the fish right now.
Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 03:48 PM

I have a 743 and a 745. IMO the 743 is a little light in the britches for serious jig fishing. I primarily use it for texas rigs, senkos, light c-rigs, finesse jigs, etc. The 745 is a stout rod. Great action for jigs and pitching around cover. I think the 744 would probably be the rod you’re looking for if you go with the extreme
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 03:58 PM

All I use is IMX
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 05:44 PM

I'm just surprised to see Dobyns and G-Loomis in the same sentence. I'd rather own the cheapest Loomis over the most expensive Dobyns...
Posted By: Jig-N-Spoon

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/26/17 10:49 PM

While Loomis probably has better components than Dobyns, the Dobyns blanks are the juice if you have owned enough of them to sort it all out. In my opinion, 744 senkos and flukes, 745 t-rig and swim jigs, 746 bigger jigs, heavy C-rigs casting spoons. Dobyn's power ratings IMO are lighter than Loomis and other rods. It also depends on hook wire sizes as well. The 745 is a good all around for t-rig, swim jigs and lighter wire casting jigs. If you get into heavier wire jigs on longer casts and C-rigs, the 746 is the way to go. 'spoon
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 12:03 AM

Dobyns action and g loomis sensitivity = perfect rod
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 01:12 AM

Have half a dozen Dobyns DX and the same number of G. Loomis rods. IMHO the Loomis IMX rods are the best bang for the buck on the market, whoever said that a Dobyns DX is comparable to an NRX is loco
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 02:45 AM

Almost all of my rods are Loomis, like over 20 of them, I have a Dobyns Extreme shakey head baitcaster rod and it is one of my most favorite rods in the box, have caught several heads with it,
Posted By: Jim A.

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 03:11 AM

I have Imx's, Glx's, champion extreme and champion rods. all are very good rods.
the Glx is the lightest and most sensitive of these, the champion extreme is next, the champion is very close to the extreme and for the money a better deal. you will be happy with all of these rods. my favorite is the GLX, champion extreme next.

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 03:42 AM

Having several Dobyns champions, I've been extremely happy with them. I have a few loomis but they are the mossy back line and love them. If a day comes were money isn't an issue I would go with glx. But today is not the day. I have 15-17 other rods but I lost my halo twilight 7'3" in lake Carlos, Minnesota. I was very happy with the feel of that rod. Not the lightest or most sensitive but felt good in the hands. I've been slowly upgrading my rods and haven't bought anything but gloomis and Dobyns. Being I have a mossy back and champion 7'6" H i am needing something in between those and my 7'mh. Going to go with the Dobyns champion extreme either 744 or 745! And I'll put a shimano curado K on it. Thanks everyone on the input
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 11:04 AM

Dobyns 784 Mike Long jig rod for 1/2 oz jigs.
734 Champion for t rigs, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, etc.
733 for Yellow Magic, light wacky rigs, etc.
795 Mike Long for swimbaits
Done
Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp
Dobyns action and g loomis sensitivity = perfect rod

This
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 09:48 PM

The 745 is an awesome rod. I own 100% Dobyns and I have owned several other high end brands, but to me the action and sensitivity of the Dobyn's fit me perfect.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/27/17 11:05 PM

I have owned most brands of rods and for quality of a "non custom rod", G. Loomis is the best, IMO
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/31/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
I guess it depends on what line and how strong of a rod you want. I use my 743 for light T-rig and jigs in shallow water. I use the 744 in deeper water for T-Rig. I use my 745 for jig fishing with heavy line and a round stumps where I need to move the fish right now.

I agree 744 for Tx. rig and 745 for jigs.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/31/17 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
I'm just surprised to see Dobyns and G-Loomis in the same sentence. I'd rather own the cheapest Loomis over the most expensive Dobyns...

So you would rather have a GL2 over a Dobyns Extreme? That's nuts. The GL2 is not that good of a rod. Not very sensitive at all.
Posted By: ditchpickel21

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 10/31/17 04:52 AM

champion extreme all day dobyns does a great job with making sure there high end expensive rods play the part. g looms every rod feels the same weather its an e6x or an nrx. thats just my opinion.

Re: Dobyns champion extreme vs gloomis Imx pro - 11/01/17 12:59 PM

If I was going to get a glx what would be the better jig rod in that series?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum