Texas Fishing Forum

Solar chargers?

Posted By: Jtunnell

Solar chargers? - 10/23/17 01:27 AM

Does anyone here use solar panels to charge your cranking or trolling batteries? I have an onboard charger but live in an apartment complex and they don't have outlets for covered parking. I tried googling some alternative solutions but didn't come up with much.
Posted By: Tucker01

Re: Solar chargers? - 10/23/17 01:41 AM

I used this one for a couple years without any issues at my apartment.

Was 12v trolling so was pretty easy. Every now and then I’d put it on starter. I never ran out of juice and never measured before/after but it always seemed topped off for the weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JO0TC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Solar chargers? - 10/23/17 07:51 AM

I'd venture to say you're going to need quite a bank of cells to get enough amperage to accomplish any meaningful charge progress. For the batteries many of us use in bass boats, a recommended charge rate capacity is easily 10 amps - for best health of properly charging the battery. Ten amps at 13.5 volts is 135 watts. The solar cell on Amazon provides 5 watts. That's possibly OK to maintain a charged battery (but not charge a depleted one).

If you had enough cells to provide several amps, you'd still be able to charge only one battery at a time. I see no reasonably viable solar cell option for what we need to charge boat batteries.... My solution was an enclosed storage bay with power - until I owned a home with ample garage space.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum