Texas Fishing Forum

HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans)

Posted By: Banker Fisherman

HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 10/19/17 02:14 AM

Hey there fellow Anglers,

I am currently the leader of a group of 6th grade boys in Royal Ambassadours at my church. I attend First Baptist Church in Allen, TX. For those of you that are not sure what Royal Ambassadours is, here is a link:

http://www.texasbaptistmen.org/Ministries/Royal-Ambassadors

In short it is like Boy Scouts but for church...Anyway, I am the sole leader for 6 boys and I am planning a fishing derby on Saturday, November 11th in Allen, Tx. The only issue I have is that all of my fishing gear is baitcaisting and two spinning rods which aren’t really suited for first time fishermen...and I really didn’t want go out and buy 6 spincasters for just one day:/

I am inquiring if there are any anglers in the Allen/Sherman area that have some spincasters they would be willing to donate or let me borrow for one day???

Please message me for details or questions. Thank you again everyone!
Posted By: Satio

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/19/17 02:24 AM

Message sent.

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/19/17 03:41 AM

Satio for the win!

This is why I love the fishing community. We can come together, support one another no matter what backgrounds and all for one cause.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/19/17 01:49 PM

These kids will also need some prizes. Shoot me an address and I will send some things that they can catch fish on when they make their next outing.
- Small Spinner baits with trailers.
- Some Scent to dose packs of plastics.
- Small swim baits and jig heads.
- Packs of small worms to Trig.

Maybe I can do 6 packs so they can use them on this Derby coming up.

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/19/17 06:01 PM

Another Generous offer from an amazing angler. This is what makes me proud to be an angler. We are not just lone individuals in a sport, but a strong community.

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/21/17 09:09 PM

Another response from a generous angler, the responses are overwhelming and so happy to see so many people willing help.

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/24/17 02:58 PM

There has just been an overwhelming response of guys wanting to donate not just poles but prizes and things for the boys. They don’t know what y’all have done yet, but they are gonna flip once they find out:)

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/26/17 02:44 AM

I wanted to give a special shout out to Satio, Donald Harper and greenen for their generosity and willingness to help.

Tonight was a meeting with my 6th grade RA’s and I told the boys about the unexpected response that I received to donate/support their fishing derby. Their reactions were priceless and they acted almost dumbfounded, haha. They couldn’t believe the former RA’s that responded and it really helped them make the connection that RA’s is more than just an hour a week on Wednesday night.

They wanted to give a HUGE thank you to those men that have helped out and to anyone else that shows interest.

I had another request for my fellow Anglers on here. This Fishing Derby is being hosted on November 11th, which as you know is Veterans Day. The place where we are having the Derby is also the home of a Veterans Memorial. Before the derby I will show the boys the memorial and give a brief speech/lesson about veterans.

I was wondering if there are any Veteran Anglers on here in the Allen, TX area who would be willing to donate a piece of there time on Veterans Day to come out and spend a little time with the boys. You don’t have to stay the whole 2 hours, you don’t even have to fish, although I don’t know why you wouldn’t :p

For any questions or more information, just message me. Thank you again for everyone’s time and support.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/26/17 03:57 AM

One of the items that you will be in need of for the boys to use some of the plastics that I sent is the Walmart Beetle Spins. Maybe someone that has 6 or so could make that donation. They sure do catch lots of small lake fish when they want a little flash.

Re: HELP NEEDED! - 10/26/17 11:03 AM

I think I know what your talking about Don, they usually are Johnson or Mann’s beetle spins, definitely an underrated type of lure. Thank you again for your support and suggestion.

And if you know any Veterans who are Anglers and wouldn’t mind taking a little time on Nov 11th to spend with some RA’s, send them my way smile

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 10/27/17 12:52 AM

Donald Harper, the bait packs you sent are awesome! Such a good assortment of soft plastics and unique spinner baits. The boys are gonna be blown away!

Also, let me know if there are any veterans who can spare some time:)

Posted By: Trcsx180

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 10/27/17 08:56 PM

Message sent Veteran here

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 10/28/17 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Trcsx180
Message sent Veteran here

Greatly appreciate for your service and your support! Look forward to seeing you there Nov 11th!

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 10/30/17 12:13 AM

Opinions Needed!

What do you guys think about this DIY paracord lure? This Wednesday night as a part of the lesson for my RA’s I am going to have them make this lure for the upcoming fishing derby.

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/02/17 02:16 AM

The paracord Lures was a success!

I had the boys make their own Lures tonight and they all liked the idea of making something themselves and catching fish with it. I brought my skirt making materials and the boys picked out some colors they wanted on their Lures. I also had a rank of water for the boys to see what the Lures looked like underwater.

I actually took the prototype I made first and took it out fishing before the class tonight. It caught two fish in about 15 minutes. I was surprised and proud that something so simple worked so well.

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/08/17 01:06 AM

Hello Anglers,

Just wanted to give you an update, I have two TFF members who will be present this upcoming Saturday for the fishing derby. This Wednesday I will have a fish identification section as a part of the RA meeting. I put together these common fish cards that the boys Can use to identify fish as well as have some basic information about the species. Please feel free to use them for yourselves or any other beginner angler.

Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/08/17 12:32 PM

Thanks for what you are doing! RAs like Scouting do a lot and using fishing to get kids out of doors is a passion. Sorry I am not available on Saturday but if you do it again I would like to help. A quick trip to the lake house and I could fix them all up. Hey, if you ever want to bring them to Lake Cypress Springs me and some buddies could host them with a first class fishing trip!

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/08/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Newly Retired
Thanks for what you are doing! RAs like Scouting do a lot and using fishing to get kids out of doors is a passion. Sorry I am not available on Saturday but if you do it again I would like to help. A quick trip to the lake house and I could fix them all up. Hey, if you ever want to bring them to Lake Cypress Springs me and some buddies could host them with a first class fishing trip!

Thank you,

This is actually my first time leading an RA group and it has been an amazing experience. I have learned so much from the boys while trying to pass on what wisdom I think I have...haha.

I will definitely keep everyone up to date if there will be another fishing derby coming up....I had pondered with the idea of doing one in mid January at the same location since TPWD stocks trout there in December...but we shall see.

Also I am sending you a PM about cypress
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/08/17 09:02 PM

I have several friends that attend your church and have attended several events there. I am just seeing this and am out of pocket this weekend, but could help in some way in the future. Just keep this note handy and feel free to PM me.

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/09/17 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer
I have several friends that attend your church and have attended several events there. I am just seeing this and am out of pocket this weekend, but could help in some way in the future. Just keep this note handy and feel free to PM me.

Hey there! Thank you for your interest and willingness to help! We will possibly plan another fishing event in the early spring...but I will keep you up to date! I will make sure to post pics next week from this weekends derby.

Re: HELP NEEDED! (Especially Veterans) - 11/15/17 07:14 PM

The Derby on Saturday went really well!

The boys were super excited to get out there and comb the ponds for fish. They couldn't keep a single bait on the end of their line for more than five minutes cause they kept wanting to try all different kinds. In the end, it was only myself and one of the boys dads that ended up catching some bluegill.

The boys and I are greatly thankful and appreciative for all the donations and support provided by:
SkeetP
greenen
Trcsx180
Satio
Donald Harper
Newly Retired
bassfishinglawyer
and many others...

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum