Texas Fishing Forum

Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes

Posted By: Brent S

Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 04:33 PM

The rules for the bassmaster opens have been changed starting in 2018. Tunnel hull boats will not be allowed for competing or practicing purposes. Also, non penetrating cull clips are the only cull clips allowed.

What do you guys think about the changes?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 04:38 PM

Not a big deal, will be for the few who can afford to have a tunnel for the shallow river events. The clips are interesting though.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 05:28 PM

Too many complained after Ott won out of his....

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: mudd
Too many complained after Ott won out of his....

Skyler Hamilton won an event last year using one. I think it's a good idea to axe them, because nobody uses them in the elites. So let's say someone fishes out of one to get the advantage in the opens and qualifies for the elites. The elites allow one boat the whole year, and a tunnel hull won't be the one used.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 06:13 PM

Just making the game more complicated smh
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Or making it more fair for everyone.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 06:30 PM

less complicated. IMO
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 07:19 PM

someone in BASS must have stock in the company that makes "non-penetrating cull tags"... can't use a net so boat flip em in and they flop all over the carpet but lets not poke a hole in the mouth where we just had 1-6 hooks stuck in... done properly the cull balls work extremely well and do almost zero damage...
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 07:38 PM

Unfortunately though Rudy, most people get in a hurry and don't do it right. Seen way too many damaged mouths. I think it's a good change.

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
someone in BASS must have stock in the company that makes "non-penetrating cull tags"... can't use a net so boat flip em in and they flop all over the carpet but lets not poke a hole in the mouth where we just had 1-6 hooks stuck in... done properly the cull balls work extremely well and do almost zero damage...
Posted By: 9094

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 08:47 PM

Next thing you know everyone will have to have the same boat and motor and will be weighed in and out.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/17/17 10:12 PM

Participation trophies are what the crybabies want. If the boat made the angler I wouldn't think Defoe would be doing to hot in the elites. Got to play to the daddy's boys I guess.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/18/17 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Or making it more fair for everyone.

I agree. A lot more complicated for a west coast angler to have to drive his fiberglass boat home and change it out with a tin boat. Then have to make the drive across country to switch them again. Pretty convenient when its in your back yard though.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/18/17 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
Skyler Hamilton won an event last year using one. I think it's a good idea to axe them, because nobody uses them in the elites.

Skyler used one in the Elites.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/18/17 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chunk
Skyler Hamilton won an event last year using one. I think it's a good idea to axe them, because nobody uses them in the elites.

Aluminum yes, but not a super custom tunnel hull.

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/18/17 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Originally Posted By: Captain Chunk

Aluminum yes, but not a super custom tunnel hull.

Correct. Big difference between a tunnel hull boat and a Crestliner or xpress such as the one John Cox and skylar Hamilton use.
Posted By: LunkerXpress

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/18/17 04:33 PM

Good rule. Two of the Opens next year take place on the Arkansas and Red rivers. A tunnel hull boat gives you a huge advantage on those fisheries. Everyone is always whining about making the sport fair for the average guy. The average guy doesn't have a 50k aluminum rig to give himself a competitive advantage on shallow fisheries.
Posted By: skins84

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/19/17 01:49 AM

Someone will always have an advantage. More money for more and better gear, more time for practice, more info. Simple fact of life. You have to learn to compete in life and fishing with what you have.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/19/17 02:58 PM

done properly the cull balls work extremely well and do almost zero damage...

In the interest of educating the masses... which way would that be?

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/19/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbassdude
done properly the cull balls work extremely well and do almost zero damage...

In the interest of educating the masses... which way would that be?

If you are holding the bass and look at the lower jaw underneath you will see where there are 2 "pockets" if you want to call it that that meet and have a ridge. right where the pockets meet the ridge the skin is very tough and if you insert the cull tag right there it won't flop around and tear a bigger hole. I will try to find a pic of this on my phone and share it. if you just insert it in the looser skin below that tough spot OR in the upper side of the jaw(near the roof) it ends up tearing a big hole in the fish.

Re: Bassmaster Opens Rule Changes - 10/22/17 05:53 PM

Took this yesterday as I didn't have any pics of it. As close to the jaw as you can stick it and the skin is really tough there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum