Texas Fishing Forum

Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster?

Posted By: LearnedHat

Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 05:45 PM

Thinking about trying it but wanted to get a feel for the learning curve. And for the tough part . . . I'm 48.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 06:02 PM

Spinning reel, no problem. Bait cast, no can do. Feels way awkward.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 06:31 PM

I’m left handed and grew up salt water and deep sea fishing back when all reels had the handles on the right side. So now I pretty much cast with my left hand and reel with my right on both baitcasters and spinning reels. No casting with one hand and switching over to the other to hold the rod.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 06:38 PM

I have left handed reels on all my flippin/pitching outfits. Didn't take that long to get used to them.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom
I have left handed reels on all my flippin/pitching outfits. Didn't take that long to get used to them.

Same here....plus any bottom contact rods. Flipping, pitching, t rig, jig....all left handed reels. Cranks, top water(except frog...thats lefty too), senko, etc.

It's about 50/50 so I have to use blue reel covers for left and black covers for right. Easier to find stuff in a packed out rod box.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 07:09 PM

I'm left handed but when I learned to fish with baitcaters all reels (as far as I knew) were for right handers so
I just learned. No switching hands for me.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 11:16 PM

I agree that it's not that difficult. You just have to hang in there for a bit and you'll have it. For me it's quicker because I can initiate the next cast as soon as the bait clears the surface.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 11:22 PM

I'm righty but from the very first time I picked up a rod and made a cast I threw left handed. Worked out for me. I can't do anything else with my left hand and not feel awkward except cast.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/15/17 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
Spinning reel, no problem. Bait cast, no can do. Feels way awkward.

Same here. Sounds crazy, but I think it's becauseva spinning reel I use my shoulder and elbow. A baitcaster you have to rotate your wrist. I just can't master it (wish I could). bang
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/16/17 12:10 AM

I do
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/16/17 12:35 AM

Right handed, but use left handed reels. I like holding the rod and setting the hook with my dominant, stronger hand/arm. It is nice not switching hands.

An extra bonus--when there are deep sales on reels, the right hand retrieve option disappears quickly; but the LH retrieve ones remain available.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/16/17 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/16/17 01:51 AM

I use to use right hand reels, but after I broke my left wrist twice, I switched to left hand reels for better hook sets.. it was awkward for a couple of hours now it's natural as can be...
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/16/17 11:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback - I may try it. Give me something to work on when it is slow. More worried about the soft plastic hookset with my dominant hand than working the reel handle with off hand.
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Any non-ambidextrous folks reel with there weak hand on bait aster? - 10/16/17 11:50 AM

I'm right handed but learned to throw baitcasters equally well with my left. One reason is, grew up fishing 3-4 guys in a small boat and found that, for example, drifting with the bow pointed to the right I could stand at the stern and cast with my left hand, and not have to worry about getting mixed up with the guy to my right. It's also helpful fishing from the bank walking left to right when there's trees overhanging the edge of the water. In terms of learning, just turn up the spool tension when practicing to reduce backlashes, and gradually back it off as you get more comfortable.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum