Texas Fishing Forum

Power Poles or Talons

Posted By: slayer12

Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 04:05 PM

I know this subject has probably been here before but what would you choose and why? I have been looking at the 8ft really don't think I need a 12.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 04:33 PM

Poles (blades) for me. I like to go under bridges and be able to lower them real quick.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 05:24 PM

Had both brands and I like my 12' talons better.
Posted By: squib

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 05:43 PM

12 foot Talons.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 05:55 PM

Talons can be lowered quickly with break over brackets. Talons can be removed or installed quickly, no fluid tank & hoses.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 06:15 PM

PP.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 06:39 PM

I have one 12' Talon on a tilt bracket and an Ultrex. Pretty much covered for any situation.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 09:21 PM

8ft poles
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/14/17 10:53 PM

I'm happy with my Talons. I've never had an oil leak and they have always worked.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/15/17 01:16 AM

If I were to chose some, I'd pick PP. they are lighter and in a Skeeter 190 with 4 batteries and full fuel and livewells, the extra weight would sink the [censored] end. Haha
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/15/17 01:47 AM

Powerpole for sure..

I fish down here on the Texas coast in the saltwaters a lot.. Almost all of us down here use Power Pole because Talon has not held up well at all in the saltwater. In other words, a PP will last you longer IMO

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/15/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
If I were to chose some, I'd pick PP. they are lighter and in a Skeeter 190 with 4 batteries and full fuel and livewells, the extra weight would sink the [censored] end. Haha

Those talon brackets are huge. I think 10lbs heavier at least per side over pp
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/15/17 01:09 PM

Depends on your boat. If you're boat can handle it, then the talon 12 or even the upcoming 15. If your boat can handle a little more weight then the talon.

I had a talon 12 and it was just a little too much for my boat to handle with 2 people. I ended up selling it but I sure do miss it. Once you have the capability of 12' it kind of makes 8' not even worth the trouble of installing. Most of what I used mine at, 8 would never touch bottom.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/15/17 01:33 PM

Do you already have an ultrex? If not, get the ultrex first. Then if you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket go with poles.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/15/17 02:27 PM

If your going to get an anchor, why not get the deepest one? That's pretty Mich how I see it. When I finally do get some it will be talons
Posted By: guntz67

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/16/17 06:10 AM

PP for me so I can get my boat under the Carport
Posted By: RTM

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/16/17 12:30 PM

I agree with getting the deepest one. I have the 12' Talons. It still fits in my garage without fold down brackets and I don't fish anywhere they are a problem. I did notice a change with the extra weight in my ZX 200 with 200HPDI.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/16/17 01:10 PM

Power Pole cause they get stuck less.
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/16/17 01:28 PM

Talons for 3 reasons.

1) Easier to install if you're doing it yourself. Easier to take off when, I mean if, you have to take them off for repair.

2) No hydraulic fluid involved. Ask around and see if any of your buddies have had PPs and then ask if they've had a hydraulic leak. More than likely they have and that'll make up your mind.

3) Talons constantly apply down pressure while they are down making sure they are stuck in the bottom. Power Poles do not do this.
Posted By: Deja vue

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/16/17 02:32 PM

I went with the 12’ Tallons for the additional anchoring depth and the ease af installation. They are on a
ZX 190 and I have them as far forward as possible due to the weight. Just half an inch behind the sponsons.l also moved the battery trays a few inches towards the bow and ditched the 3 flooded group 27 batteries for blue top Optimas to help lighten the stern. They will also clear my garage door, not by much though.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/18/17 02:03 PM

I have both on different boats and actually like the power poles the best.
They are less noisy and can be lowered so that the co-angler can have more room to cast.
As already said the Talons are much easier to install with no hydraulics.
I will say the Talons are though tho. Im old and for some reason forget the Talons are down more than the poles.
I have drug the Talons over lots of mud, rocks and stumps and to my amazement they still work.
Might be why they are so noisy tho.
Hope this helps
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/18/17 03:55 PM

Those Talons are tough. I drove all the way across Tawakoni with one down with no damage.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/18/17 04:03 PM

Pass on both and get an Ultrex. smile
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/18/17 06:42 PM

PP's for me. I can lower them via remote to back into my storage and if my partner keeps hitting them when he casts.

Try this with Talons and lemme know how it works out for ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02D0EfMyR8
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/19/17 02:27 AM

Ken just proved you need Talons. If that PP won't hold that tiny jon boat, how do you expect it to hold a heavy bass boat. grin Just kidding. Ken, that is a pretty impressive video. I'm still on the fence of what brand to buy. I want one well actually two. But dang that adds a lot of weight, and the pp are lighter. I thought I was sold on talons because I have seen guys pull out at the ramp and the pp would be flopping back and forth. I told a buddy look how flimsy those things are. But after seeing the video and know they are lighter than talons make me go hmmm.
Posted By: TorySweatman

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/26/17 04:08 AM

Power poles, cause talons look goofy as the day is long!
Posted By: RO519

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/26/17 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Those talon brackets are huge. I think 10lbs heavier at least per side over pp

They're also ugly as he77
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/27/17 02:57 AM

I am a PP guy, i just think they perform better than the talon, and forget the hydraulic deal, is your tilt and trim hydraulic ? I have had PP for 8 years, never one time did I have this catistropic hydraulic failure. The only benefit talon has is the 12 feet ( if you consider it a benefit ) the PP is a shallow water anchor, and the best one made.

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/27/17 11:23 AM

Make that 15' any day now if it isn't already released

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/27/17 11:58 AM

15'....that's a long way up if something breaks
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/27/17 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
15'....that's a long way up if something breaks

What is next, a 20 footer ? I have only been in one boat with a Talon, it was back when they first came out, not too bueno, i am sure they have improved a lot since then, I think I am going to try one on my all weld jet boat.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/27/17 12:48 PM

PowerPoles. Very simple & reliable hydraulic system.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/27/17 01:17 PM

Both work well and the one people like the best is whichever one they own. Only real opinion would be by those that owned BOTH at different times. I know it sounds "shallow" but I have to agree with the people above. Those Talons look hideous on the back of your boat. Looks like a huge section of rain gutters strapped to the back of your boat. Some say "looks don't matter as long as it works" but if that was true pink pokadotted boats would sell as well as white ones! :-)
Posted By: bobrfishes

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/28/17 09:37 AM

I have used both. Currently have 12' Talons. They win hands down.

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/28/17 04:26 PM

I'm just the opposite. I like the look of the talon but hate the look of the pp because they just look flimsy.

If the boat is large enough to handle it, I'd taken talons if it can't handle the weight then I'd settle for power poles
Posted By: Outdoorsman04

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/30/17 10:21 PM

12 Ft Talons with tilt brackets wish I had the 15 footers
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/31/17 01:56 AM

Neither, I don't still in one spot long enough to need them. Most boaters I see fishing, 99% of the time they are not in use, even in the spring. I see the most usage of them when they go to park the tow vehicle or when they stop for lunch and park the boat on the bank.

I guess I just never had a need for them.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/31/17 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Neither, I don't still in one spot long enough to need them. Most boaters I see fishing, 99% of the time they are not in use, even in the spring. I see the most usage of them when they go to park the tow vehicle or when they stop for lunch and park the boat on the bank.

I guess I just never had a need for them.

I bet I use mine 15-20 times a day at least. I'm a shallow water guy and will never own a boat without them.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/31/17 01:44 PM

I currently have 8 ft poles that came with the boat. I was on the lake last weekend (it was cold) and lowered the poles when I heard a very distinct "crack". Sure enough both of the blue lines snapped while the poles were in the down position. I was not able to lift the poles or get them in the up position no matter what I did. I ended up unbolting them from the brackets! That being said, given the choice next time I would go with the Talons. No hydrolics to deal with, and if I lose power with Talons I can manually crank them up.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Power Poles or Talons - 10/31/17 01:44 PM

I only have one but I use it all the time. I fish a ton of shallow water and it's awesome when fishing visible structure like timber and docks especially when it's windy. I have the 10ft talon but would have no problem having a power pole either. I think they are both great products. Someone mentioned above that the Talon is ugly but I disagree. I would say 10ft blades are not very appealing either. Those things are so high above the motor it just looks awkward. But I would still have either one on my boat. Im hoping to have a new 20-21ft rig in the next year or two and will definitely have two of either one of them on my rig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum