Texas Fishing Forum

Roberts 10-08

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 06:54 PM

Who all fished yesterday and how did you do? I was out there until 3:00 and it was tough
Posted By: buda13

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 07:17 PM

Had a pretty good day Saturday, but they made me work for it. Surprisingly the bite didn't get good for me until after the clouds burned off and we had bluebird skies. Big fish was 5.5 and best 5 pushing 20#. All the fish I caught were built like tanks, they've been eating good.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Had a pretty good day Saturday, but they made me work for it. Surprisingly the bite didn't get good for me until after the clouds burned off and we had bluebird skies. Big fish was 5.5 and best 5 pushing 20#. All the fish I caught were built like tanks, they've been eating good.

How did you catch them? Were they tight to cover with the sun out?
Posted By: buda13

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 07:45 PM

Could not get them to eat a moving bait, ended up doing my damage on a jig tight to cover and weightless plastics.

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Could not get them to eat a moving bait, ended up doing my damage on a jig tight to cover and weightless plastics.

Sounds familiar. I haven't been to Ray Bob in about 2 weeks now but the only moving bait bites were spots and the LMB bites were all pegged worms on timber, wacky or a slow c-rig over rocks. My buddy did manage to crack a 9#er in the timber so that was gnarly.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 09:05 PM

Saturday was rough. Yesterday wasn't bad. My son nailed a pretty good one on a chrome/blue trap in 6' on a secondary point.

Baitfish are really loading up in coves, but the bass aren't there yet. All the swirls on the surface are individual schools of baitfish.

Posted By: Barn

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 09:23 PM

Caught a bunch of dinks yesterday. Most on main lake points early on buzzbait, popper, spinnerbait and Biffle bug. Caught some later in back of creek on squarebill, small med crank and shakyhead. Only one keeper out of the bunch. Mostly spots, a few LMB.

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 10:57 PM

Apparently I need to follow you guys around... I managed 5 but nothing bigger than 2 pounds.

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/09/17 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
Apparently I need to follow you guys around... I managed 5 but nothing bigger than 2 pounds.

It's proven to be a tough and often finicky lake. I expect that we are still dealing with some turnover considering the still warm weather and lack of cool mornings and/or rain. We'll see how it shapes up in the next few weeks but throughout my own limited experience and with the conversations I've had, late summer is a tough time on Ray Bob.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/10/17 12:32 AM

Will turn on this week!

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/10/17 01:12 AM

I'm expecting it to... I'm ready
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/10/17 01:19 AM

Me too, I love fishing Roberts in the fall and winter! That squarebill bite is about to get real stupid
Posted By: toofy

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/10/17 03:33 AM

I was out there and got several small ones on a T-Rig Rage Craw in Okeechobee Craw color (I think) which is blue on one side and green on the other. Water temp was 72-74. Had one about 4 pounds that went into the brush and broke me off. I saw him though and had to be 4 pounds. He was in 2 feet of water on a laydown. I fished both sides of the lake and most of mine were on the West arm up towards the bridges. Also some in main lake points that were in less than 10 feet of water schooling. One chased a chatterbait and bit but I didn't hook him.
Posted By: ditchpickel21

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/10/17 04:02 AM

i caught a 5 and a few 2 pounders flipping heavy brush on the main lake in about 3-6 ft on a pegged rage craw. they were way back in that cover tho.
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/16/17 02:07 AM

Mike, are you back in the area??

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/16/17 04:09 AM

Yes atleast for a couple of weeks...
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/16/17 04:17 AM

Hay Mike:
This is my take on what Bass are looking for:
- They eat Shad and follow them all year.
- The Bass are there; they are only eating what the Pray Fish that are chasing Shad are wounding.
- They are eating all the other species that are there like Blue Gill, Sand Bass, Crappie and Perch.
- Bass do not like the erratic behavior of all these species as they are crazy after the shad.
- Bass are always keyed in on this kind of behavior by other fish and it is a delight for them to deal with them.
- Try throwing baits like a swim jig or blade jig that mimics the other species of Pray Fish.
- Good colors are: Fire Tiger tuned toward the Blue Gill - Yellow Perch with strands of yellow/Black/Hologram - The Sand Bass and Crappie skirts are hit offs of the shad patterns of white/hologram. Just pick one with a dark color in the pattern like Purple or Watermelon glitter.
- Crayfish are present now as their spawn is beginning. Read my article on "Chasing Crayfish". Match the Texas Craws with your jig skirts and mimic the fleeing action with a Blade jig in the same colors.

Re: Roberts 10-08 - 10/16/17 03:02 PM

Absolutely great information Donald.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum