Texas Fishing Forum

when to reduce or add lure weights/size

Posted By: Texasdeepv

when to reduce or add lure weights/size - 10/06/17 01:55 AM

Is there an easy way to determine if the lure I'm using is enough or too much weight or size? i mean we all have different weights of the same type and color bait or lure.... Just wondering what and how everyone else determines when to change things up. thanks
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: when to reduce or add lure weights/size - 10/06/17 02:56 AM

until this year, I always went as light as I could get away with. I was so wrong on that theory. I have caught bigger fish with heavier weights recently.
Here is how I see it.
Lures imitate the baitfish. Bait is either on the bottom, or swimming through the water column. Crawls and worms can be moved faster while still on the bottom with more weight. In the summer, many times the fish want it moving pretty quick, but it still needs bottom contact for them to strike. More weight needed
This also holds true that baits falling and jigging(stroking). Faster can be better.
Then you have days, and seasons where you need a slower presentation, The lighter weights with slower rate of fall are what they want here. When you really have to slow it way down, go as light as you can get away with.
When you have it all figured out, then the wind will come and ruin it for ya.
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: when to reduce or add lure weights/size - 10/06/17 04:19 PM

thanks for the reply. I think i mostly always go lighter than it needs to be.
thanks again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum