Texas Fishing Forum

Sinking rocks

Posted By: Kens3313

Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 04:20 AM

I got a bunch of soccer ball size rocks I saved from having my driveway repaired. I'm wanting to sink them in the lake, just not real sure what depth I should put them at. Was thinking about 4 to 6 ft for the spawn. Any ideas?
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 05:09 AM

Somewhere there aren’t other rocks is a good place to start
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 05:21 AM

Better look for donald harper , he will tell you where and why
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 06:36 AM

Shoot me a text bud!
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 04:24 PM

Let donald pipe in, I want to hear what he has to say...always something good
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 04:31 PM

If you are putting them in Conroe. Let me know where you put them. grin
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 04:51 PM

I wouldn't sink them deep. Takes too many to make a difference.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 05:12 PM

If you'll put them in Williams Creek @ Fork, I'll help you!!
Posted By: Green Fish

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 06:05 PM

The depth really depends on the lake...but I wouldn't go too deep (based on personal experience) and I would try to set them up in pre-spawn staging locations or just one location depending on how many rocks you have.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

I hope he does, finally get that sink hole filled, HUH Harold..... nuts

Seriously, I have over 100 Windsor stones, their about 10-15 lbs ea. Old flower bed liner's, I'm also interested in the replies here. I was thinking 6-9 foot on a channel swing with timber not far from my dock.. Never dropped rocks before either.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 08:03 PM

It takes A LOT of rocks to be successful. 5-10' if there is an isolated tree on a point or flat that normally produces fish. I like a spot that already holds bass. It is likely to hold more fish mixing 2 types of cover.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 10:26 PM

I can tell you what happens when you sink them too shallow. Carried a bunch to Choke Canyon and put all in one spot. They produced after 6 months or so really well. Every time I go there now I get to look at all the work I did 15' up on the bank. I did a really good job of spacing and grouping. Much better than I though I did.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 10:43 PM

rock,bricks,and gelcoat don't do well together
Posted By: RKT

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 10:43 PM

If putting them in Conroe I would put them on a main creek ledge on the shallow side just before the drop. I would try to focus on 8-10 feet of water where it drops of to around 20 feet or more.
Posted By: JBM 3

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 11:18 PM

Rock pile on Fork near structure like tank dam, point, docks should be good
Rocks on Falcon attract fish, even small rock piles
Rocks likely attract and hold crawfish
5-10 feet on Fork should work
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/03/17 11:53 PM

I used to do that on Somerville. Worked great. All the lakes I fish now are solid rock.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 12:20 AM

Off shore on your spot. You know where.

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 12:21 AM

Thanks for everyone chiming in, I have about 2 heaping wheel barrels full
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

I hope he does, finally get that sink hole filled, HUH Harold..... nuts

Seriously, I have over 100 Windsor stones, their about 10-15 lbs ea. Old flower bed liner's, I'm also interested in the replies here. I was thinking 6-9 foot on a channel swing with timber not far from my dock.. Never dropped rocks before either.

I can think of a couple great spots in Glade!! The culvert and the pond!
Posted By: 9094

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs
It takes A LOT of rocks to be successful. 5-10' if there is an isolated tree on a point or flat that normally produces fish. I like a spot that already holds bass. It is likely to hold more fish mixing 2 types of cover.

A whole lot unless they are giant boulders. And even little ones are a ton of work if you sink enough of them.
Better thing to do is get s mason bit drill a hole in them and tie a tree to each one and make a brush pile!
But if you do sink them I would find an old broke down wood dock and sink them around the outer pilings.

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094
Originally Posted By: James Biggs

A whole lot unless they are giant boulders. And even little ones are a ton of work if you sink enough of them.
Better thing to do is get s mason bit drill a hole in them and tie a tree to each one and make a brush pile!
But if you do sink them I would find an old broke down wood dock and sink them around the outer pilings.

That sounds like way too much work haha
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094

There's a dock up in running creek on Fork that fits the bill. Added benefit, it has timber and tons of grass nearby. Already a good spot!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 12:56 PM

Be sure an use a heavy enough weight to keep them down, grin
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/04/17 01:59 PM

There were some piles from where cement trucks cleaned up that I would grab 10-12 in the mornings when I went out and when I got thru fishing I would pile them in one spot. Took about 10 trips before even seeing bumps on the depth finder, it takes a LOT of rocks. I had some flagstone pieces that when I put them in they would go every which direction so doubt many hit the spot. Unfortunately, Hurricane Harvey pushed so much water thru here that pile clearly gone as well as a bunch of old laydowns that were there for years. Fish are still there, just changed their locations big time.

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/06/17 01:49 PM

Intresting stuff guys, thanks for your input. I have a spot picked out right next to a river channel in about 8 ft right at the base of a big tree
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/06/17 01:52 PM

We've been dropping cinder blocks almost every trip when we head to L Austin.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/06/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Intresting stuff guys, thanks for your input. I have a spot picked out right next to a river channel in about 8 ft right at the base of a big tree

Let me know the coordinates. Thanks! woot

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/08/17 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom
Originally Posted By: Kens3313

Let me know the coordinates. Thanks! woot

Haha ok its on the northern side of the lake by that big tree next to that bush behind the pink rock
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/08/17 01:48 AM

Ahhh yes, I know that spot!!
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Sinking rocks - 10/09/17 08:49 PM

find a sandy or mud bottom flat that is 3 to 6 foot deep and not far from deeper water. Drop a couple in a couple of different spots -- they should hold some interest
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum