Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing my way south ...Lake Brady, Buchanan, LBJ ??

Posted By: perrypogue

Fishing my way south ...Lake Brady, Buchanan, LBJ ?? - 10/01/17 01:56 PM

I've got a couple of weeks before I arrive in Austin and I'm thinking of fishing my way south. Does anyone have experience on these lakes?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Fishing my way south ...Lake Brady, Buchanan, LBJ ?? - 10/01/17 04:27 PM

I have a ton of experience on LBJ. Although, I haven't been in a month or so because I've been busy practicing for a tournament on another lake. I believe they haven't sprayed the grass a lot, so you should focus your attention there. Things like wacky rigs, rattle traps, green pumpkin flukes in the grass are good this time of year. You can get on a good chatterbait and spinnerbait bite too if the conditions are right. Senkos and frogs under docks are also killer this time of year. If you focus on the grass long enough, you'll pull a few good ones out of there. LBJ during this time of year is feast or famine.
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: Fishing my way south ...Lake Brady, Buchanan, LBJ ?? - 10/01/17 07:37 PM

Thank you so much. I'm moving to Austin where Travis will be close but wanted to try some place else for a couple of days as I move down. It looks like LBJ is the best choice. How would you rate Ladybird? Isn't it the next lake up?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Fishing my way south ...Lake Brady, Buchanan, LBJ ?? - 10/01/17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: perrypogue
Thank you so much. I'm moving to Austin where Travis will be close but wanted to try some place else for a couple of days as I move down. It looks like LBJ is the best choice. How would you rate Ladybird? Isn't it the next lake up?

Lady Bird is below Lake Austin, which is below Travis. It has some big fish in it but without the grass in the lake they're hard to come by. It's also covered in kayakers and paddle boarders. When I say covered up, I mean you can walk across them to the other side of the lake. Since it's an electric motor only lake they come out in full force. If you don't mind fishing around them, the lake can offer sights and good fishing. The pressure on that lake is intense though.

As far as Buchanan goes, I've personally never been there but it can be an awesome lake during the Spring if you know where to go. It's a good lake that has some big fish in it, but I see that people like LBJ better. Buchanan can also get very rough when the wind picks up. That's about all I know.

Never been to Brady and wouldn't even know what to tell you there. Lol.
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: Fishing my way south ...Lake Brady, Buchanan, LBJ ?? - 10/02/17 08:36 PM

For size, LBJ is my favorite lake in the area. Grass is currently very thick on the lower end. Fished it the weekend of 9/23 and had our best luck skipping wacky senkos up under docks...grass bite wasn't there for us then. Don't be afraid to go shallow on LBJ...the bigguns will hang out in the shade up against the bulkheads.

Fished Travis yesterday for a couple hours...jerkbait bite is picking up nicely as the water is down to 79-80 degrees. Pro Blue 110+ was all I ever threw and caught 8, but only 2 were 14+ inches.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum