Texas Fishing Forum

Sharelunker program changes

Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Sharelunker program changes - 09/30/17 02:55 PM

What does everyone think about the changes?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/release...rce=govdelivery

Posted By: MadFluker

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 09/30/17 03:05 PM

cool
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 09/30/17 05:35 PM

Just going to lead to more dead big fish.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 09/30/17 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Just going to lead to more dead big fish.

That's what I'm thinking
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 09/30/17 08:18 PM

The only change looks like the the online registration thing. They're not going to add fish to the program outside the 1/1 -3/31 window they've always had. Shouldn't really impact the fish any more than usual unless you have to take them to some predetermined place to weigh them. At least that's what I got from reading it.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 09/30/17 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bryanmc57
The only change looks like the the online registration thing. They're not going to add fish to the program outside the 1/1 -3/31 window they've always had. Shouldn't really impact the fish any more than usual unless you have to take them to some predetermined place to weigh them. At least that's what I got from reading it.

I don't know about that....the SAL I caught last year was denied because it was not genetically pure. From the new program forward, it would qualify.

It also rewards the fish in different weight categories. 8+ is prize worthy.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 12:35 AM

I like the idea of allowing anglers to register their 13 + and keep them in a tank at the weigh in station where proper care can be taken so that they may be, after wards, just released back into the lake.
Posted By: moto382

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 01:28 AM

The program is a joke IMO! Just leads to killing big bass! Weigh them take pictures then let them go to live on.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: moto382
The program is a joke IMO! Just leads to killing big bass! Weigh them take pictures then let them go to live on.

Agreed, stop tournement fishing. Oh, wait that is not the same or is it?

I believe more good has come from the TPWD's program than any tournament, not saying you fish tournaments, just weighing the odds.
Posted By: moto382

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 02:10 AM

Just look at how many sharelunkers have been killed because of it!! It doesn't help produce bigger bass. Let's see CA doesn't have any program like this and will alway produce bigger than Texas ever will!! A 13lb bass in CA probably won't even get turned in!! Lake Ray Robert lake record bass is dead because of it! Most tournament fisherman take well care of there catch and the death rate in tournaments are very low!!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:08 AM

Here we go again. The same old arguments... I like that they are dropping the weights to get the numbers up and handling it as catch/report/release for those. They'll get better idea of the numbers of larger fish.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:13 AM

popcorn
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:42 AM

If trout would survive in Texas lakes the Bass would be bigger. Trout is a key meal for bass in California.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 07:08 AM

was a publicity stunt in the beginning that oddly enough worked for a few years but nowdays its useless and should be discontinued imo.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 09:16 AM

How will these changes lead to more dead big fish? SAL will still only attempt to spawn fish caught during the same period of time as always. They're just attempting to change the program to year-round data collection through angler participation. Sounds like they may not even pick fish up outside the narrow spawning window, any longer. For all those who have said they wouldn't donate a fish to the program, now you can donate the info on the fish while leaving her right where she is.

I see some more positives here.

Converting the hatchery to 100% SAL offspring. These are special fish with the potential to grow large very fast. Folks will say they've never proven SAL offspring to grow larger than any other pure florida bass. They've never been proven to grow smaller, either. I'll take hatcheries full of them!

Spawning the intergrades and stocking right back into the donating fishery. No more rejection like Steez' fish and, offspring from a proven beast are produced. How can that be a bad thing?

Of course, if you're simply against the SAL program, none of this matters.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 10:14 AM

I doubt I ever have to worry about catching a Sal, but atleast now I can help with all the 8 and 9lb fish I catch thinking I finally broke the Dd mark.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BThomas
If trout would survive in Texas lakes the Bass would be bigger. Trout is a key meal for bass in California.

Trout is definitely the major key...
Posted By: sight fisher

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 10:44 AM

A lot of those fish were killed by anglers holding them wrong which resulted in broken jaws.You never hold big fish by one hand. California fish get large because of the presence of trout and salmon.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 02:36 PM

A couple of thoughts..

I'm not sure how all this is going to work.. But if you have to drag a fish to a weigh station and handle her, it ain't good for her.. I think we can all agree on that..

Whatever size she is.. Of course it ain't good for her to be caught at all, but I don't think any of us are ready to quit fishing just yet..

As far as breeding fish that are non pure, but grew to behemoth size, it is about time.. While they may not be pure Florida, they may have the Florida gene that turned them into Rosie proportions.. If there is such a thing..

Something that I have been talking about for years..

We could slam the door on this conversation if PAW just came out with the results of their mystery experiment where they put Pure Florida bass in one pond, and Pure Sharelunker bass in a similar pond, and fed them similarly..
And recorded their growth..

But I am afraid my grandchildren may not even hear the news..

If you put perfume on a pig.. You still got a pig..

This new and improved SL program will not grow any more or bigger fish than the old one.. But it might make a few new hard nipples in the fishing community..

We'll see..

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BThomas

Exactly. They don't spend a dime on bass in California, they spend it on trout and salmon, the byproduct is big bass but it's not intentional.

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Spawning the intergrades and stocking right back into the donating fishery. No more rejection like Steez' fish and, offspring from a proven beast are produced. How can that be a bad thing?

Well said!
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:23 PM

They have received so much negative publicity and got caught lying to the people that donated the big bass to them( as like the man in Athens) who sent back all they gave him in prizes because they lied --- well something had to change because people had come out from under the ether and figured out that the main purpose was to create jobs ,not what they claimed the intent of the program was. Well when by their own sats that once the small baby bass are released in the lake that only about 2 % make it , the program has little affect. That means that at least 95% of all bass come from lake females. Wonder why some states protect the bass while spawning ?

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 03:38 PM

How will these changes lead to more dead big fish? SAL will still only attempt to spawn fish caught during the same period of time as always. They're just attempting to change the program to year-round data collection through angler participation. Sounds like they may not even pick fish up outside the narrow spawning window, any longer. For all those who have said they wouldn't donate a fish to the program, now you can donate the info on the fish while leaving her right where she is.

Converting the hatchery to 100% SAL offspring. These are special fish with the potential to grow large very fast. Folks will say they've never proven SAL offspring to grow larger than any other pure florida bass. They've never been proven to grow smaller, either. I'll take hatcheries full of them!

One reason I see more dead big fish is more people wanting to get a 8lb fish certified now... especially if this fish is caught out deep in the summer time and people just putting the fish in their livewell with surface temps in the 80-90's... just my opinion though
Posted By: 9094

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 04:28 PM

Some of you guys act like a largemouth bass, or even a 10 lbs is a rare endangered animal.
Most are to young to remember when a 5 lb bass would make headlines in the Dallas newspapers!
TPWD has progressed the quality and quantity of catching bass 1000% percent in the past 30 years.
A few have died in the process but the results have revolutionized bass fishing.
If you are so against this program then catch a big fish take a picture and release it.
There is no law that says you have to participate.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: moto382
Just look at how many sharelunkers have been killed because of it!! It doesn't help produce bigger bass. Let's see CA doesn't have any program like this and will alway produce bigger than Texas ever will!! A 13lb bass in CA probably won't even get turned in!! Lake Ray Robert lake record bass is dead because of it! Most tournament fisherman take well care of there catch and the death rate in tournaments are very low!!

one of the most ignorant posts ive ever read... noidea
Posted By: bubbaque

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 10:57 PM

[quote=BThomas]If trout would survive in Texas lakes the Bass would be bigger. Trout is a key meal for bass in California. [7/quote]

AMEN add trout momma gets really fat
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/01/17 11:08 PM

My biggest problem is that where bass are deemed to be an invasive species and it is illegal to release the bass back into the lake, they grow bigger. Japan
Posted By: 9094

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
My biggest problem is that where bass are deemed to be an invasive species and it is illegal to release the bass back into the lake, they grow bigger. Japan

Yes but in those lakes where it is illegal to return them guess what they are full of?
Yep trout. There are 2 species a lot like our rainbow and brook trout that are native and they are the main species in those lakes.

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Fork-Legend211

One reason I see more dead big fish is more people wanting to get a 8lb fish certified now... especially if this fish is caught out deep in the summer time and people just putting the fish in their livewell with surface temps in the 80-90's... just my opinion though

The press release said nothing about getting those smaller fish certified. Just that there would be a web-based application where anglers could submit their data. I think weighed, measured, photo'd and released right there in the boat will probably be sufficient, but don't know for sure.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 04:09 PM

I never really payed attention but wasn't the donation period longer in years past. Seem to remember Oct thru May. Maybe that was 2015?
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 04:10 PM

The press release said nothing about getting those smaller fish certified. Just that there would be a web-based application where anglers could submit their data. I think weighed, measured, photo'd and released right there in the boat will probably be sufficient, but don't know for sure.

Yeah that's what I figured, I don't think they would have you take it to a weigh station, but I've been wrong before.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
I never really payed attention but wasn't the donation period longer in years past. Seem to remember Oct thru May. Maybe that was 2015?

They cut back on the donation period last year to just during the primary spawn.

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 05:35 PM

Ok cool... I hope your right Fouz

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 05:45 PM

Think about it, Legend. How you gonna bring an 8 lb fish from Fork in to get certified? Without breaking the law. I doubt TPWD will want data on 8 pound fish that are over 24" (snakes), anyway.
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 06:18 PM

May kill a few which sucks but the hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of pure Florida strain bass that are released back into the fisheries is worth it.
there are more 8-9-10 pound fish that are eaten every year than will ever die in the hands of TPWD.
Before anyone says it the fry of these fish in the wild are mostly brim food so it is not nearly as efficient.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sharelunker program changes - 10/02/17 07:36 PM

Have you seen the percentage of what survives when stocked? 1% is the goal. I wouldn't say that's any different from a fish in the wild IF that fish gets to spawn. I understand they need to justify the money. I think fouz is right, not every fish has to be certified. I also see that being an open door to people that catch fish and eyeball a weight. If that happens it could have an opposite effect on study findings and could ultimately push changes that will be negative on fisheries.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum