Texas Fishing Forum

BLAST FROM THE PAST!

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 09:32 PM

Some of yall already know I collect low end sports cards and odd ball sets and this one certainly fits into the odd ball set category. My Dad ran across these recently and bought them for me. Figured some of you guys that have followed B.A.S.S for the last few decades might enjoy seeing them. Some of these guys I had forgotten all about and obviously some of them are true legends in this sport. Some even still compete today.

This set is from 1990 so chances are some of your favorite anglers were not even born yet so they were omitted from this set. clap

Posted By: GROD

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 09:41 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 09:50 PM

Cool cheers
Posted By: CCTX

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 09:50 PM

That is cool!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 09:51 PM

Tommy Biffle smiling and grinning ear to ear is priceless.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 10:17 PM

Ray Scott should have been with those guys. Never been a promoter, organizer or supporter of bass fishing equal to Ray. Many including myself went to the weigh ins just to see and hear Ray. He not only made it exciting but a whole lot of fun. Miss him.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 10:17 PM

Do you ever get them autographed?

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Do you ever get them autographed?

I have never really chased autographs. I do have a few including Ray Scotts book that I had him sign in person though.
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 10:59 PM

That's awesome, I was a baseball card collector growing up. Didn't even know they had fishing cards!
Posted By: Karo

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/28/17 11:03 PM

Wow!! So cool!!! These are all the guys I watched on TV with my dad or read about in his BASS magazine.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 12:31 AM

really neat collection....thanks for sharing with us...
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 12:53 AM

Enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for posting and sharing the memories.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for posting and sharing the memories.

thumb
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 01:22 AM

Some real legends there...
Posted By: 206champion

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 01:34 AM

Wow I have never seen cards like that.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 01:40 AM

Coolest thing I've seen in months.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 02:41 AM

Rich Tauber pretty much put Flipping on the map.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Ray Scott should have been with those guys. Never been a promoter, organizer or supporter of bass fishing equal to Ray. Many including myself went to the weigh ins just to see and hear Ray. He not only made it exciting but a whole lot of fun. Miss him.

I agree Ray made what Bass fishing is today.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 12:18 PM

Cool! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Very cool! I may be wrong, but I believe Dee Thomas is the man who put flipping on the map.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 02:34 PM

Very unique.
Posted By: BassSacker

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 03:41 PM

Thank You clap
Posted By: senko9S

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Very cool! I may be wrong, but I believe Dee Thomas is the man who put flipping on the map.

Tauber put a lot of things on the map including the drop shot(bakudon/cherry bomb weights) and pointer jerkbaits.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 04:24 PM

Very cool! thumb Lot of names I hadn't heard of in a long time...
Posted By: Soft Tap

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 04:29 PM

Amazing how far we've come. It's funny seeing the thick mustaches, big ray ban glasses & sponsor draped vest.
I'm sure our younger generation will be laughing at us decades from now.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 05:35 PM

Sweet

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 06:09 PM

I am about 98% sure you are right. Each card has interesting facts about each fisherman on the back. I will check later on and see if there is any mention about it on the back of the card. I believe he was the man that caused BASS to limit the length of rod that could be used in a tournament as well.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 06:44 PM

Dee was the flipper, dang I'm getting old, I remember all but a small hand full of those guys. It was different back then, of course there were guys that continually finished high event after event. But, you never new who was gonna win it, lots of different guys would, and did win.

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 08:28 PM

Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 10:01 PM

I forgot about Dee Thomas, but then again. I'm only 61 and didn't start tournament fishing until 1981.
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 10:21 PM

I met Ricky Green at fishing club that I worked at south of Houston back in the day. About 5 years later I was at a Dentist office in Hot Springs and met his mom. She had one of his cards in her purse and gave it to me.

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 10:49 PM

Few years ago I was at Bass Pro in Garland. I had just checked out and was walking out the door not paying any attention to anyone around me when someone right behind me said something to me. I don't even remember what he said but I turned around and it was Gary Klein. We stood outside and talked for a bit. Really super nice guy!!! Saw him again at the PAA tournament and after he weighed in he came out into the crowd and sat down right behind me. I figured he knew the people or something but nope.....they had a little black lab puppy and he wanted to see the puppy. LOL! After that he started handing out some free samples of stuff from his goody bag.

Not to many sports where the fans get to interact with the sports elites like you can in fishing.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/29/17 10:55 PM

Charlie Reed! Hochatown guy
Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/30/17 06:36 AM

Those are are a blast from the past for sure. I certainly agree with the "Catch and Release" card.......

Posted By: John175☮

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/30/17 11:04 AM

Great collection!

Woo Daves! Loved his videos.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/30/17 12:16 PM

^^^^This...
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 09/30/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Tommy Biffle smiling and grinning ear to ear is priceless.

Ha! Yep. Ole Tommy "You kids get off my lawn" Biffle roflmao
Posted By: MDM

Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST! - 10/01/17 02:28 AM

Remember when those cards came out but haven't seen them in a long time. Fished with 8 of those guys including Mr. "get off my lawn" Biffle. Others were R Clunn, D Wharton, G Cochran, H Allen, T Martin, and west coast guys R Tauber and M Folkstad. Allen and Tauber were really fun to fish with no matter if we were catching much that day or not. Clunn 20-25 years ago was the KVD of the time and could get more bites than anyone around him. Day before fishing with Biffle watched him win $10,000 in a flipping/casting accuracy contest and 2nd place wasn't even close. All those guys on the cards really helped build the foundation of top level bass fishing that we have today.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum