Texas Fishing Forum

1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice?

Posted By: slingerlandct

1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/25/17 05:05 PM

I am visiting Lake Travis this weekend for the first time (fishing), have been to the lake before just never fished it. I will dropping the boat in the water near lakeway and wanted to see if anyone could pitch in some tips/pointers for fishing travis in late sept/early oct. Lure selection, area types to fish (banks, docks, structure, etc).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/25/17 05:46 PM

Literally fish all over that lake, lots of smaller fish though. Finesse jigs, shakey heads, drop shots, texas rigs, and smaller topwaters should get you bit. Flatter coves and banks with isolated bushes or structure should be good as well as any docks you encounter.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/25/17 07:33 PM

Allen Christenson has guided on Travis for many years.

http://northshorebeacon.com/index110.htm
Posted By: hogbus

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/26/17 02:03 AM

Try Hurst creek. Close to Lakeway. Huge no wake zone creek with two marinas and plenty of cover,structure etc. don't go flying in there or you will get busted. good luck JD
Posted By: wtf242

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/26/17 03:57 AM

had great luck there lately fishing shallow near brush using a ned rig. drop shot always works well there. Deep cranks on points. Beware though there's a LOT of party boats on the weekend.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/26/17 03:40 PM

I live on Travis in Briarcliff, a few miles north of Lakeway. There's good fishing around there in coves with marinas and boat docks. Lots of coves have a shallow shoreline shelf of 3-9 FOW with brush before dropping off into 20+ deeper water. I get good luck with topwaters and shallow cranks early before the sun comes over the hills, and T-rigged senkos and watermelon/red BBH's around the brush and dropoffs afterwards... or anytime actually. After launching in Lakeway, hang a left and go into Bee Creek. There's some excellent water in there.

Lots of big powerboats going in all directions on the weekends which makes for some very confused water. Hope you have a boat larger than a jonboat. I have an 18.5ft Skeeter and it can get bouncy even in that boat when the water's crazy from lots of pleasure craft.
Posted By: mamrine

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/26/17 05:16 PM

Texas rigged watermelon red BBH on the rocky shelves. I have been killing them with that setup. Find the rocky shelves by deep water and you will have a good day. Bee Creek, Briarcliff and Cow Creek are all good right now. Good Luck and show us some pictures.

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/27/17 11:32 PM

I went into Cow Creek today at 2pm. Overcast sky, dry but rain threatening. Started off good with a 3lb'er, and stood on them until 5pm. Boated 14 (!!) LMB, best fish was the last, a 4.5lb'er. Only used one bait all day, an entire bag of watermelon/green laminate senkos T-rigged. Bites increased when light rain came, slowed a little but still got bit when the sprinkles stopped.

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/28/17 05:09 PM

Thanks for the response everyone! Will post some pictures!

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/28/17 09:36 PM

With the Arkansas Bend park/ramp closed until late 2018 what suggestions are there for public boat launching on the east side of L Travis between Cypress Creek & Mansfield Dam Parks and Glouster Bend park in far upper end? Yeah know about Jonestown ramp but they are gouging $15 to launch.

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/29/17 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: OldChamp
With the Arkansas Bend park/ramp closed until late 2018 what suggestions are there for public boat launching on the east side of L Travis between Cypress Creek & Mansfield Dam Parks and Glouster Bend park in far upper end? Yeah know about Jonestown ramp but they are gouging $15 to launch.

Briarcliff Marina charges $20 to launch if you're not a resident of the Village. I think that's how much the Horseshoe Bay Marina charges to get on LBJ.

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/29/17 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: herbsteiner

Briarcliff Marina charges $20 to launch if you're not a resident of the Village. I think that's how much the Horseshoe Bay Marina charges to get on LBJ.

Thanks - but Briarcliff is on the west side of Travis. Nothing on east side other than Dink Pearson Park which is sketchy with no ramp.
On LBJ use the city of Granite Shoals Parks ramps like Blue Briar.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/29/17 06:23 AM

FYI, If you are still going this weekend, there is a High school FAN tournament going out of Jonestown Saturday.

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 09/30/17 02:52 AM

I put in today at Mansfield dam for $15. only went out for 2.5 hours and caught 7 on the points around Austin Yacht Club. Putting in at Lakeway Marine tomorrow and going to hit those suggestions. How many kids supposed to be fishing this Tournament?
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 10/04/17 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: slingerlandct
I put in today at Mansfield dam for $15. only went out for 2.5 hours and caught 7 on the points around Austin Yacht Club. Putting in at Lakeway Marine tomorrow and going to hit those suggestions. How many kids supposed to be fishing this Tournament?

It had 91 boats
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 10/04/17 01:40 PM

Thanks - but Briarcliff is on the west side of Travis. Nothing on east side other than Dink Pearson Park which is sketchy with no ramp.

Not true...There are Travis County ramps in Cypress Creek and Sandy Creek.

Re: 1st Trip to Lake Travis - Advice? - 10/05/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Crowbar

Not true...There are Travis County ramps in Cypress Creek and Sandy Creek.

But no public ramps between Sandy Cr and Glouster Bend on lake's east side until Arkansas Bend reopens. Even when it does reopen it's a loong run from Arkansas Bend up to mid-lake to fish Lago Vista, Briarcliff, Cow Cr, etc. areas of Travis.

For a lake that's been there for so long it's unfortunate that LCRA or the county has not been able to provide a public ramp on the east side in those areas.

Travis County tried by passing a bond election to develop Dink Pearson Park with paved ramp, etc. But that all fell thru because the county could not secure complete legal access to the undeveloped park land. So Travis County is using the bond $$ to upgrade Arkansas Bend but we're still left with no public ramp on east side mid-lake.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum