Texas Fishing Forum

Why is the slot on Fork so important?

Posted By: NTX Angler

Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 02:33 AM

Just starting a new topic. I figure this has been addressed in the past. I was just curious why Fork? Rayburn, Toledo, Austin, and countless other big fish lakes do not have slots. Has this slot proven to be a good thing? I mean why not 18-24? What is the big harm if they just dropped it? If it turns out to be catastrophic, which I doubt, then reintroduce it. At least then it would end the debate.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 02:41 AM

As far back as I can recall Fork has always had a slot. It's raised on both ends. I may have the numbers wrong but went from 14-18, to 14-20, then 16-21 then 16-24. They have always tried to.protect that same class of fish and keep the fishing consistently good.

With it being so close to the Hatchery in Athens I think it's really TPWD's baby.

Posted By: big mike

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 03:05 AM

The slot is great. I wish it was 14"-24"!!!

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: big mike
The slot is great. I wish it was 14"-24"!!!

Could you explain why it is so great?
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 07:04 AM

I fish many tournaments but hardly and on Fork just because of the slot. I personally would like to see it reduced go 16-21. I think it would bring more sanctioned tournaments such as College events, FLW events.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
With it being so close to the Hatchery in Athens I think it's really TPWD's baby.
it was built to be their baby from the beginning
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 07:57 AM

The last thing that lake needs is more tournaments. I really don't understand the complaints about the slot. Everyone is playing on level ground
Posted By: irbf

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 09:26 AM

It protects the size of fish that are considered the primary "spawners".
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 11:13 AM

The slot protects the fish once they get big enough so that they can grow bigger. Plus it culls out the small fish allowing the big fish to grow. Take that slot away and watch the 5 and 6lb fish that leave that lake. Fork is a small lake that has the pressure of a lake the size of rayburn which hurts rayburn. The slot is why it can handle that pressure. Look at toledo, it's a barren wasteland compared to a couple years ago. Talk with the guides on the lake, I know atleast some believe that the slot is what keeps that lake so good.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 11:39 AM

Odd, too, that in real life and wars, nations send their "slot" population off to fight, too often to be killed. Many France-bashers say this is why it "is the way it is" today, that they lost so many of their valiant men in World Wars 1 and 2. Ha! I suppose it could be.

On Lake Fork, any lake with a slot, I really don't see why some exemptions couldn't be extended for tournaments, perhaps for a small fee to promote fishery activity.

If bass can be caught, held, then weighed and released largely unharmed, why not? So, a game warden pulls up, you have some "slot" fish in the holding tank . . . you show him proof you are in the tournament and off you go.

Little "fixes" could be applied: no slot fish during what is considered the active spawn season for this or that lake.

Brad
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 12:02 PM

...The importance is all about the "maintenance" of the spawning population ....
the idea is that the slot fish will produce more fish that can be caught by recreational fishermen
the slot allows fish to grow to "trophy" size which brings in "sport" fishermen from all over the country looking for a trophy, and TROPHYS now days are produced from pictures & measurements ...... not stuffing the actual fish. So that person could care less what the designated "slot" is, the only person that cares wether there is a slot or not is the tournament guy that seems to think all he can catch are 18-22 inch 6-7# bass.

why is it every time a discussion comes up about FORK it always revolves around "tournaments" and the need to be able to live well a fish to weigh in for a tournament ? Not all fishing is about tournament fishing. IF a slot fishes' weight is SO DAD GUM important ,,,,,, then change the tournament rules to measure, weigh, picture, & write it on paper ...... then you got your slot weight and the fish goes back in the lake. Don't blame not being able to use a slot fishes weight on the TPWD's slot designation on FORK. The TPWD's rule is not the problem ,,,, it is the tournament rule that does not allow a slot to be weighed. Your anti-slot sentiment is aimed at the wrong people.

IMHO.

soap
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 01:03 PM

what percentage of bass fishermen fish tournaments? 60% maybe and that's just a guess but keeping tournaments and fishing pressure off Fork is one of the effects of a slot limit....
look at how good fishing on falcon was and they didn't have a slot or size limit plus hundreds of gill nets....
in my area of the country,they slapped 16 inch size limits on West Point and Eufaula and it did nothing but run tournaments off and hurt area businesses.....
with catch and release so widely practiced,maybe slot/size limits are having little if any effect...
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaguar6
I fish many tournaments but hardly and on Fork just because of the slot. I personally would like to see it reduced go 16-21. I think it would bring more sanctioned tournaments such as College events, FLW events.

Because that's exactly what Fork needs--that and 20 more guides...
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 01:31 PM

The only thing the slot on Fork negatively impacts is tournaments.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 03:57 PM

I might get bashed and that's okay, but imo the slot is not helping on any of the area lakes that it is in place. How many people are keeping bass to eat these days? Very few imo so you end up having huge numbers of smaller under the slot fish. How many people would be keeping slot size bass for the dinner table if it wasn't in place? Again imo and I'm in no way an expert, but I think culling out more of the small fish would help increase average size fish in the lake. I do feel however with the great spawning years we have had with the lakes being high the past several years that almost all area lakes will have a ton on 3lb class fish over the next couple years.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I agree Mark... not many lakes like Fork out there that can keep producing big fish day in and day out especially with as mush pressure it gets... but she can be very humbling at times to... I live on Fork and am on the water about 130-150 days a year and have seen what Fork can do... I love it!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 04:41 PM

You could almost argue th we t eliminating the slot would increase tournament pressure a ton out there. Fish will he be pressured even more and could make fishing tougher on average.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I might get bashed and that's okay, but imo the slot is not helping on any of the area lakes that it is in place. How many people are keeping bass to eat these days? Very few imo so you end up having huge numbers of smaller under the slot fish. How many people would be keeping slot size bass for the dinner table if it wasn't in place? Again imo and I'm in no way an expert, but I think culling out more of the small fish would help increase average size fish in the lake. I do feel however with the great spawning years we have had with the lakes being high the past several years that almost all area lakes will have a ton on 3lb class fish over the next couple years.

I see what your saying but to me that is what the slot does. It makes people keep the smaller fish and let's the ones that make it past that age grow bigger. To me, taking out slots won't help the small fish population. But, I could see maybe raising the minimum a few inches although it could prove to have some negative effects on populations. I'm no expert either
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 05:00 PM

You could almost argue th we t eliminating the slot would increase tournament pressure a ton out there. Fish will he be pressured even more and could make fishing tougher on average.

I am not sure their is even a way to put more pressure on the fish on fork then what they already have. I will say this I think one thing that would happen is you would be putting more stress on the slot fish because they would now be going in the live wells and riding around all day. That in my opinion would be the death of the lake. I think they have 2-4 tournaments on the lake about every weekend from the first of March till middle of July, then again in September through the end of October. I think if they really wanted to help the fish they would limit the tournaments to certain areas of the lake to help the spawn, and no tournaments after the water temps get above 88 degrees or the end of June to keep from dragging the fish from the deep in hot weather and letting them ride around in a hot live well the rest of the day. just my .02
Posted By: squib

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 05:10 PM

And Louisiana fishfrys. Remove the slot and watch your bass all head east—in little ziplock baggies.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: squib

And Louisiana fishfrys. Remove the slot and watch your bass all head east—in little ziplock baggies.

People in Louisiana have plenty of bass to eat closer to home
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil Horse

True statement. When Mark Stevenson caught the state record in Nov '86, it instantly became apparent how good the lake was at growing giant bass. Over the next 20 years it rewrote the record books with regard to numbers of DD fish.

Personally I wish everyone would keep every fish they caught under 16" and take it home. You can only slice a pie into so many slices. The larger fish would benefit greatly if more of the smaller fish were removed.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Devil Horse

True statement. When Mark Stevenson caught the state record in Nov '86, it instantly became apparent how good the lake was at growing giant bass. Over the next 20 years it rewrote the record books with regard to numbers of DD fish.

Personally I wish everyone would keep every fish they caught under 16" and take it home. You can only slice a pie into so many slices. The larger fish would benefit greatly if more of the smaller fish were removed.

Thats exactly my point when most of the size limits were put in place alot more bass ended up on the dinner table. Now what percentage of fishermen leave the lake with bass? I know I have brought 2 home in the past 6-7 years that were for sure not going to swim off after weight in. They were alive, but been struggling in the live Well most of the day.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/23/17 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: squib

thats Fake News Mine head West.

its good to keep unders too many bass which i'm not sure Fork has, but it can make a lake worse and not better.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 12:16 AM

started fishing Ray Roberts when it opened, and that is exactly what happened there. It had a lot less tournaments out there, then they lifted the slot, and well I seem to struggle, to catch 5 fish in a day. Used to be my favorite lake.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 12:57 AM

slot limits were started way back when most people were keeping everything they caught, now most people release everything. So is the slot still needed? TPWD must think so, but then again they think its good to kill the grass on a lot of lakes too.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 02:21 PM

Nearly ever lake in Texas holds "good" fish. But most people don't go to them expecting to catch their PB.

Lake Fork has that reputation. Many people come from around the world hoping to catch their bass of a lifetime.

Of the 50 + members in our senior citizen fishing club moved here because of the "supposedly" excellent bass fishing. And on a given day the lake does give up great numbers and great size. And thru thick and thin it always has.

Yes there was a time in the 80's and early 90's when it was better. But because of our TPWD fisheries experts they have managed to keep the lake viable thru both a devisating fish kill in 99, drought, changes in grass, and now invasive plants.

We are very proud to have been allowed this past spring to have participated in the dispersal of literally hundreds of thousands of Florida strain fingerings. TPWD and the Lake Fork Sportsman's Assoc. has been planting button bushes in the lake for 5 years creating habitat for young fish and helping to insure there is less erosion on the banks with these spreading plants. Down the road they are going to add bald cypress and water willow to those projects. All in conjunction with the Yantis High School ag class.

Big bass is what folks come to Lake Fork to catch. And catch they do. But I will say that I have personally fished perhaps around 23 different lakes in Texas and only at Fork have I consistently catch "decent" bass. The rest probably have their times, but not for me. Catching fish just under 14" is OK for some.

So if Fork was not a slot lake it would become like all of the rest. And if you don't like the slot there are about 230 other lakes in Texas you can fish that do not have one.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
started fishing Ray Roberts when it opened, and that is exactly what happened there. It had a lot less tournaments out there, then they lifted the slot, and well I seem to struggle, to catch 5 fish in a day. Used to be my favorite lake.

Agree with that. Losing grass also had something to do with it too I think.
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 03:46 PM

The slot obviously started as a conservation tool used to limit the size of fish people put in their ice chest....after completing an exhaustive double-blind, placebo-controlled study, TPWD concluded these fish suffered a "near" 100% mortality rate. Today, it seems, the slot is a conservation tool used to limit the size of fish people put in their livewell....presumably because TPWD believes these livewell fish eventually suffer an unacceptably high mortality rate. It seems TPWD's priority (then & now) is conservation - not tournaments. In my opinion, that is the correct priority.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 04:36 PM

Our bass club does only paper tournaments on slot lakes. That said,a slot is in place to protect the fishery and promote the growth of big bass. To be effective though we need to be harvesting the unders.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Our bass club does only paper tournaments on slot lakes. That said,a slot is in place to protect the fishery and promote the growth of big bass. To be effective though we need to be harvesting the unders.

Let's assume the next few studies TPWD does show that the number of "unders" has grown to an undesired population due to high natural spawn rates and survival due to the sustained "normal" water levels. The next weapon in the TPWD arsenal is a "must keep" period for unders like they put in place for crappie. An angler must keep the first five "unders" over 12" for example each day. That would cull the population some.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 07:41 PM

That is a tool they can use. I don't think it will happen though. Tournaments and people that keep bass will keep the under population under control. That's what I like about a slot. The small fish that everyone is always complaining about that need to be culled out are the fish that it targets. How can that be bad? I will use rayburn as an example. You can keep everything over 14" so your keeping all the bigger fish. Before all this high water rayburn was voted the best place to catch 14" and under fish, wow, what a great accomplishment. The thing that keeps rayburn half as good as it could be is it's size and cover for fish. When the lake was low and void of cover the fish population went downhill FAST. The size of fork is what would kill that lake if it didn't have a slot. Personally, I wish every lake had one and tournament trails had to sign up for permits to bypass the slot. That would be a win, win all around.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/24/17 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

Let's assume the next few studies TPWD does show that the number of "unders" has grown to an undesired population due to high natural spawn rates and survival due to the sustained "normal" water levels. The next weapon in the TPWD arsenal is a "must keep" period for unders like they put in place for crappie. An angler must keep the first five "unders" over 12" for example each day. That would cull the population some.

I like this line of thinking, a mandatory "must keep" rule. I know the tournament anglers wouldn't approve of it but I am thinking more along the lines of the overall health of the lake. Very few people come to Fork in hopes of catching large numbers of bass.

They all want the elusive BIG One. That is what's made Fork famous over the years. Personally I would rather stick my finger in a light socket than catch a bunch of three quarter to 1.5 pound fish.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 02:54 AM

Maybe before you can legally keep any bass at Fork you must have also kept a minimum of 20 sandbass roflmao
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 12:16 PM

I found a bunch of sand bass last week. Hitting crappie jigs like it was their last meal.Wish they would lift the limit on Fork.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
The last thing that lake needs is more tournaments. I really don't understand the complaints about the slot. Everyone is playing on level ground

I agree, Fork has plenty of tournaments on it already.

One thing Fork could use is, in order for you to launch your boat on any ramp, you have to pass an IQ test. Lots of Idiots out there on the ramp that have no clue as to what they are doing.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

I agree, Fork has plenty of tournaments on it already.

One thing Fork could use is, in order for you to launch your boat on any ramp, you have to pass an IQ test. Lots of Idiots out there on the ramp that have no clue as to what they are doing.

Only going to get worse ez. The sport is attracting a huge amount of high school kids who are more fascinated with fast bass boats than actually catching bass. Soon as they are able to afford one of these 250/300 hp. boats they'll have to hire traffic cops with radar to patrol the lakes. Or they could put up speed limits on the boat lanes, which will never happen, but get use to the fact that bass fishing has become a little more dangerous because of the speed and lack of common sense with the drivers.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 02:13 PM

Even without keeping unders, if you believe in the higher end of tournament mortality rates the slot aides in knocking back the "under" population and promoting the healthy growth of the bigger fish. I'm in favor of keeping the slot, no need in adding another 100 tournaments a year to the lake... that's exactly what would happen if it was lifted, every single tournament trail on in Texas would add a Fork tournament or 2 to their schedules.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 04:30 PM

We have had some good spawns last few years with the water level being up, I bet the next few years there will be tons of those 1-3lbers.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher

I have to disagree, the fishing was poor well before they lifted the slot. It's been through a few good years since the slot has been lifted. That lakes problems have other causes besides the slot. This year at the Team Trail Outdoors in April it took 20 pounds to get in the top 10. I remember the first two years the slot was lifted and both the bass clubs I was in scheduled it with less than stellar results.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 07:48 PM

Imo I don't think it makes a difference what the slot is. Look how much pressure that it's under day after day.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 08:04 PM

That lake would absolutely get pummeled without the slot. Leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 08:49 PM

Don't remove the slot, limit the number of tournaments allowed on the lake.

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 08:55 PM

I agree the lake would be beat to death if it weren't for the slot. I still think there should be a plan in place to harvest a bunch of the small fish from the lake. Take out 10,000 of the 1-2# fish and next year there would be a lot more 6-8# fish, which is why folks go to Fork in the first place.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I agree the lake would be beat to death if it weren't for the slot. I still think there should be a plan in place to harvest a bunch of the small fish from the lake. Take out 10,000 of the 1-2# fish and next year there would be a lot more 6-8# fish, which is why folks go to Fork in the first place.

There couldn't be that many more tourneys out there. Pretty much all the trails in Texas go there now already. The only thing that would change would be FLW or BASS tourneys coming to town which we all know those shows would be insane and that is what would take the pressure even higher than it is today.

Ken - I love the idea of taking out a bunch of unders but then you have the double edged sword of all the tourneys that go there needing those fish.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/25/17 10:42 PM

You ever tried to find a 15-16 inch bass on fork.... smartest fish in the lake!
Posted By: Mike Martin USA

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/28/17 08:41 PM

I don't think anyone here has answered your question. If you go to this TPWD website you can see how a slot is working https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/archives/lunkersearch_water.phtml . Lake Fork is number one in 13+ fish by far. Lake fork has 257 13+ fish the closest lake in number 2 has Alan Henry with 27 13+ pounders. That's a 230 fish difference or 851% difference. Now do I think that all comes from the slot....no. This lake was built around the bass fishery but I do think the slot did contribute to this.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/28/17 09:19 PM

My argument to this is the slot prevents the bigger fish from sitting in live wells all day during spawning season and possibly dying or interrupting their spawn. I think it is less about people keeping big fish for eaters as it is these fish getting beat to death every Saturday due to tournaments. I have nothing against tournaments either, but I don't know how healthy it is for fish to sit in a live well all day. Especially when the heat starts to kick in.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/28/17 09:20 PM

The lake is way over fished for its size, it needs all the protection it can get, it needs more than it gets now imo..
Dairy, dairy farms used to be ALL around the lake, rich nutrients poured in every rain. There are still a few, nowhere as many as there used to be.. The one on the other side of my cove is gone, don't forget about the damn sandbass, right now I watch them chasing shad up and down my cove daily. SMH...gone is gone, without the slot, it would be terrible.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/29/17 12:41 AM

Them Dairy farms had a lot to do with big bass. Remember the water color . It had a golden tint if I remember right

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/29/17 01:20 AM

I bet if you got the hydrilla back like it used to be, took the limits off sandbass, and made the slot 14"-24" a lot more big bass would start showing up.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/29/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers
Them Dairy farms had a lot to do with big bass. Remember the water color . It had a golden tint if I remember right

I think it was called tannic, duck weed and wasp nest...LOL
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Why is the slot on Fork so important? - 09/29/17 02:18 PM

Cypress Springs used to have tannic water until they killed out the grass. The vegetation serves as a filter and really improves the water quality. It's a shame we've lost most of it in our lakes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum