Texas Fishing Forum

Inflatable life jacket

Posted By: R.J.E.

Inflatable life jacket - 09/18/17 09:24 PM

Saturday only about one hour after taking off my life jacket, the dang thing inflated by itself on top of my boat and it wasn't even wet or anything. I think it's an Onyx if I'm spelling it right. I'm glad I didn't have it on as would might have given my old Arse a heart attack as loud as it was. Anyone know what might have caused this. Thanks
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/18/17 09:54 PM

You might want to burn a little Sage around in your boat. Those little Ghost are slimy. bolt
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/18/17 10:19 PM

Was it sitting out in the sun? Mine did it in my driver's seat on a really hot day. When I replaced the bobbin, the paper water indicator hadn't budged. My thought is the direct heat from sun exposure caused the plastic to flex enough that the cylinder activated... I started putting it in the shade...
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Was it sitting out in the sun? Mine did it in my driver's seat on a really hot day. When I replaced the bobbin, the paper water indicator hadn't budged. My thought is the direct heat from sun exposure caused the plastic to flex enough that the cylinder activated... I started putting it in the shade...
Yes it was in the sun on the front deck. Thanks for the info, I'll put it in the shade from now on.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 02:53 PM

I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone trusts those things with all of the issues I've read. To each their own though.
Posted By: rut-roe

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 03:02 PM

Mine done it twice in my box in hot weather.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 03:16 PM

There are a number of factors that can cause the chambers to go off, including extreme heat (expanded valves due to the heat). But all of these PFD's take maintenance just like your batteries and engines. I re-arm mine once a year to make sure it is still working correctly. CO2 cartridges have expiration dates on them as well, but more important is to make sure your valve is still working properly (check for rust, damage, leakage, etc.). I believe the re-arm kits are typically about $25-30, so buying one a year is better than the alternative of having it not work.
Posted By: FACSR

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 03:56 PM

I have had mine inflate 3 times , twice while wearing it and once in the box it was under my dip net and it bent the handle. yes it will make you find religion if it inflates while your wearing it. Change the bobbin every year or keep a recharge kit handy. my 2 cents
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 05:00 PM

I have had the same experience . There is a " dissolvable " tablet that keeps the arming pin from breaking through the CO2 cartridge . They are designed to dissolve once you hit the water , the problem is that over a few years ( depending on your exposure to humidity and/or rain ) they eventually fail without actually falling in the water . I talked with the people @ Mustang , they advised replacing these every three years . Cost is about $25 bucks per unit ( includes CO2 and tablet ) .
tight lines , be safe .
Robb
Posted By: Canny

Re: Inflatable life jacket - 09/19/17 05:17 PM

I've been running a Mustang for about 4-5 years. I have never had it accidentally inflate and its stored on my drivers seat when I'm not wearing it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum