Texas Fishing Forum

A second boat

Posted By: snickers

A second boat - 09/13/17 05:25 PM

If you were going to add a second boat. Metal boat to put in the rivers to get around good what would it be ? size, brand and motor. I would put on power poles but think I would stay with a fortrex over a ultrex . I would use this boat in the Bass opens
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 05:36 PM

Xpress X19 or X21, depending on which engine size you think you needed.

They come stock with a Yamaha.
Posted By: Canny

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 05:50 PM

I'd have an 18-19' aluminum center console with pods and jack plate. This boat would be my river boat for hunting, fishing and also to take to the coast to chase trout and reds
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 06:17 PM

John Cox fishes from a tin boat, he won the Forest Wood cup in it. 20-21 footer, I agree with the Fortrex, good luck in the opens Randy, that's great.. thumb
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 06:30 PM

I'd have a 17ft allweld. Stripped down to reduce weight. Something you can beat the heck out of. To me, a 21ft is no different than a glass boat. You could get an older 20ft with gorilla hull for that. For me, I want something I can beat up and allow me into tight spots and shallow water
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 06:33 PM

popcorn

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 07:24 PM

I like the 17 foot stripped down light weight beat the snot out of boat. What about a bass tracker ? Ranger makes a metal boat. And I will check out the Xpress.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 08:14 PM

Great timing with this post. OT Defoe just won a BASSMASTER open out of such a rig

https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/inside-tunnel-boats-defoe-and-friends

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Great timing with this post. OT Defoe just won a BASSMASTER open out of such a rig

that's what I am talking about. Sweet
Posted By: Canny

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 09:01 PM

Sick boats!
Posted By: RKT

Re: A second boat - 09/13/17 10:54 PM

The 17 foot Xpress handles waves pretty well and really bounces off of stumps really good. It would be a hard boat to beat in that size boat.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: A second boat - 09/14/17 01:12 AM

Gator Trax

One big issue with tin boats is the construction of the "bones" of the boat. If they are not built right, the boat will actually bend and torque in rough water and basically that can ruin a hull. Check the construction out on the Gator Trax boats and you'll be impressed.
Posted By: G Pope

Re: A second boat - 09/14/17 09:09 AM

Those boats remind of a Nascar version of bass/inshore boats. All business and no frills. Great slide show. Red/trout fishing dream boat, just add beer!
Posted By: Fisher421

Re: A second boat - 09/16/17 09:55 PM

Sea Ark. Very tough boats.
Posted By: David Gillham

Re: A second boat - 09/16/17 11:36 PM

Problem with most aluminum boats is the bottom will get so dented it will start splitting and weaken if your going over stumps all the time because of their hull thickness. Gator Trax uses 3/16" aluminum and they will make it any dimension you want.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: A second boat - 09/17/17 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: David Gillham
Problem with most aluminum boats is the bottom will get so dented it will start splitting and weaken if your going over stumps all the time because of their hull thickness. Gator Trax uses 3/16" aluminum and they will make it any dimension you want.

Not all Gator Trax boats come in .190, you have to upgrade. Some other manufacturers will use the thicker stuff too if you ask.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: A second boat - 09/17/17 02:55 AM

Ott's boat is far from stock. BASS did another article about all of the engineering he put in to it. For some reason I think he has $20K in custom welding done to it. Pretty fascinating machine.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: A second boat - 09/17/17 03:04 AM

1860 tunnel hull with a custom full flipping deck. 90hp Yamaha. Your main concern in a aluminum rig is draft and livewell. You have to have a good livewell to keep your fish alive.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum