Texas Fishing Forum

The colors colors colors

Posted By: cephusjoe

The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 04:57 AM

So after going through my boat I noticed a ton of colors that I never use. You know the color that catches your eye at the store and you buy but never throw... Well I may be wrong but I'm about to sell them. Lighten the load and quit buying [censored] that I know I wont throw. Do any of yall ever throw the lures that catch your eye? I buy them with good intentions but always fall back to my confidence colors.... blue fleck, watermelon, green pumpkin, motor oil, black, june bug... you know the deal. I do color match the bait with the water clarity. But I never throw anything other than my confidence colors. I also have a giant reserve of these in the garage. I'm simplifying things in all my plastics, worms, creature, trailers....

I'm sticking to to the basics
Posted By: the skipper

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 11:20 AM

Bait companies make money catching fishermen, not fish.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 11:34 AM

Sadly..... I'm EXACTLY the same as you my friend.
I just tossed 6-8 bags of soft plastics..... it's pathetic.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: cephusjoe
So after going through my boat I noticed a ton of colors that I never use. You know the color that catches your eye at the store and you buy but never throw... Well I may be wrong but I'm about to sell them. Lighten the load and quit buying [censored] that I know I wont throw. Do any of yall ever throw the lures that catch your eye? I buy them with good intentions but always fall back to my confidence colors.... blue fleck, watermelon, green pumpkin, motor oil, black, june bug... you know the deal. I do color match the bait with the water clarity. But I never throw anything other than my confidence colors. I also have a giant reserve of these in the garage. I'm simplifying things in all my plastics, worms, creature, trailers....

I'm sticking to to the basics

I just decided to do that same thing this weekend. I spent an hour taking stuff out of the boat that I don't throw and just plan on restocking baits that I know work when I run low but I already have a pretty good reserve of those.
What I hate is when you have something that works really well and then it gets discontinued.
Posted By: popcork

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 01:41 PM

Speaking of baits, I hate it when the fish bite one particular color at that time and you can never catch another fish on it after that, but you keep it around thinking someday they will hit it again.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 02:24 PM

I think color is the 3rd or even 4th most important thing when catching a fish, so take that for what it's worth.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 02:34 PM

I've done the same. for example, I had 2 boxes of senkos, most every color and size. I looked at all that and decided that I could easily consolidate into 1 box, based on some basic colors (watermelon, green pumpkin, blue/black). I've done the same for everything; probably carry 1/2 the weight of lures now compared to 6 months ago.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

helpsign My name is Jim, and I'm a bait junkie.

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
Originally Posted By: the skipper

helpsign My name is Jim, and I'm a bait junkie.

Ha! Ive just always walked Down the isle and see some color on sale and buy a couple bags. Throw the in boat and tell myself I'll use it. When in reality I never throw it, and I makes it harder to find ole faithful on tournament day digging through plastics. And then when I go throw the boat here in there I put them in the garage... over the years I've got about a trash bag full of plastics
Posted By: Thor Outdoors

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 02:52 PM

If anyone ever throws away soft plastics I know a highschool angler who would be more than happy than to come pick them up and take them off your hands instead of you throwing them away!
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 03:01 PM

Are some of you saying the colors catch your eyes in the stores, but you "never" even try them once at the water because you stick to your standards?

I'd surmise they were purchased for a reason...to try them at "minimum a few times," before you decide they were a waste of time.

This topic will make me use "many of my haven't-tried-them-yet" baits.

...thanks for the reminder!

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Indianation65
Are some of you saying the colors catch your eyes in the stores, but you "never" even try them once at the water because you stick to your standards?

I'd surmise they were purchased for a reason...to try them at "minimum a few times," before you decide they were a waste of time.

This topic will make me use "many of my haven't-tried-them-yet" baits.

...thanks for the reminder!

Well yes that's what I'm saying, I buy bait colors here and there with good intentions of trying them. I don't buy them and immediately think to myself that I'm not throwing this. I just never get around to throwing it... those bags start to build over time. YeS I do try a few here and there but the unopened packages out numbered the opened package. I telling myself that I'm going to quite buying all the crazy colors lol
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 04:50 PM

I'm constantly discarding colors not ever used , tackle inventory has reduced to 30 % , now going to hard bait section. Also it will force you to stay focused on your plan of baits to use .
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 05:06 PM

It didn't take me long when I was just bank fishing to figure out my selection was getting out of hand. Now that I have a boat I am certainly a minimalist and a bit of a neat freak so a mess of soft plastics is agitating. After buying some bruised banana trick worms that never even got so much as a nibble I realized it was time to keep it simple. I'll try new things here and there that I think add an element to a presentation that would be beneficial but that's few and far between.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/12/17 05:43 PM

I admit, I've swallowed a lot of hooks from watching videos, reading about recommendations and simply walking through the fishing section.

I think I'll throw some of my banjo minnows next time out as well.

Yea, that's right, I bought it many years back when I first started bass fishing!

...------
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/13/17 04:40 AM

Is there really ever any color other than GP needed? Simplify it! HAHA
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/13/17 12:21 PM

Banjo minnows caught fish.....and fishermen.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/14/17 03:45 AM

I have the same problem, now that ive been making my own soft plastics I have 2 problems now lol. Store bought baits plus diff color baits ive made I don't want to get rid of. The struggle is real!!
Posted By: James Niggemeyer

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/14/17 09:47 PM

Here is a quick YouTube video that goes over soft plastic color selection. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/dx1lxgZlWHE
Posted By: Jay_Eichler Lake Fork Guide

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/14/17 10:02 PM

Sticking to basic colors simplify Bass Fishing. We all at one time or another have bought what we think fish will bite. Make yourself stay with the basics. You will catch more fish.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/14/17 10:22 PM

I am as guilty of carrying every thing I own in the boat as anyone else. It had gotten to the point that I was having issues finding what I was looking for during tournaments just because there was so much in the boat. I decided to quit carrying everything in the boat,put up a sheet of peg next to the boat and pulled every bag of plastics I own out, organized them and now just put what I think I will need in 1 small worm binder for the trip. When I get home I take the bag out and put them back on the pegs and do the same next time I go. It has made things alot easier to find and the boat goes a little faster without carrying 300lbs of plastics too. I have yet to be fishing and need something that was at home, so it's working so far.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/15/17 03:08 AM

I do not have confidence in colors. I have confidence in MYSELF to match whatever the fish are biting. A story related by Ralph Manns. He and his brother were fishing a power plant lake and having no luck whatsoever. He finally tried the kitchen sink, an orange and yellow swirl worm. THAT was the only bait they could get bit on. Even using pieces of worms as short as 2" and still getting bit, but ONLY on that one color. Often times, color does not make a difference, but sometimes, it makes ALL and THE ONLY DIFFERENCE to the fish. That is why my soft plastic situation is heavy in standard colors, but a few odd wads that you would never think to throw. When fishing gets tuff, I put on one of those odd wad colors and save the day. There is SOMETHING TO BE SAID in throwing something they have not seen before. At least, according to Ralph Manns, and I TRUST his judgement more than almost anyone else's. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: The colors colors colors - 09/15/17 03:54 AM

if any one plans on throwing stuff out just toss it in a box and post in the high school thread that you wanna give it away. Someone one would be glad to come take it. I know some kids from plano who would enjoy having some baits as they spend their own money on everything.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum