Texas Fishing Forum

Walter Long (decker) lake temps?

Posted By: texasAUtiger

Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/10/17 03:13 PM

Anybody have recent reports of the temp on Decker Lake and/or its overall condition? Thanks.
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/11/17 03:58 PM

Its been a month since I've been there... but back then the water temps I found were 87-89. It was actually one of the better days I've had out there, our best 5 probably went 14 lbs.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/11/17 04:28 PM

Not sure on water temps but that lake gets a ton of pressure and somehow still manages to produce day in and day out. It's amazing. Also, I believe there's quite a bit of grass in there now, but don't quote me on that. All you really need is a swim jig, Tx rig, and a frog.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/11/17 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Not sure on water temps but that lake gets a ton of pressure and somehow still manages to produce day in and day out. It's amazing. Also, I believe there's quite a bit of grass in there now, but don't quote me on that. All you really need is a swim jig, Tx rig, and a frog.

"quite a bit of grass" is an understatement. The winter wasn't cold enough to kill much of the grass. It's absolutely covered in coontail and hydrilla.

as for the original question, I have not been a month, but the water is not that hot compared to other power plant lakes. They hardly ever run that power plant
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/11/17 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94

Yea, thats pretty spot on

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/11/17 10:19 PM

Thanks guys. I have never been but am thinking of making the drive so if you have any general pointers or warning, I'm all ears.

Hopefully I can make it on a weekday and it won't be so crowded.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/12/17 01:52 PM

Great memories of fishing up in the shallow reeds in the middle of winter when the power plant ran. Not sure why Decker has not been on the TP&W radar for complete hydrilla eradication as the rest of the state has been but lets hope it stays that way. Hydrilla poisoning would be the kiss of death to that great little lake!
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/12/17 02:37 PM

lake temp is 76-78.

Re: Walter Long (decker) lake temps? - 09/12/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Amberlamps
lake temp is 76-78.

Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum