Texas Fishing Forum

Wheeler Lake or Guntersville?

Posted By: BUbass903

Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 02:45 AM

The first week of November I will be in Decatur Alabama for work. I have never fished Wheeler Lake or Guntersville so I plan to do a guide trip while I am there. I may only have enough time for a half day trip. Wheeler would be more convenient to Decatur but I would like to hear some thoughts from you guys that are more familiar with the lakes........is it a no brainer to choose Guntersville over Wheeler? How is the fall fishing on these lakes? I have looked at several prior posts on Guntersville guides but are there any recommendations for Wheeler guides?
Posted By: Basswhippa

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 11:26 AM

Of the two, Guntersville. But if you want to go below wheeler dam, do it. I got a 7.8, 7.5, and 6.1 early November 2015 in one day. Bronzebacks. They'll jerk a 12 pound Fork large head around. Great for a half day trip.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 12:37 PM

Guntersville
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Guntersville

+2
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 04:30 PM

Fall fishing is tough on both lakes, that's for sure. Guntersville is one of the most pressured lakes in the country; add in Fall and it becomes extremely tough. The fish really spread out and it's tough to dial in a pattern. My suggestion would be to contact a guide first and see which lake he/she recommends.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 04:52 PM

Largemouth - Guntersville

Smallmouth - below Wheeler Dam

Watcha doing in my neck of the woods?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/05/17 06:34 PM

I have fished those 3 lakes (including Wilson) back in 2000 for a day each. I agreee with Fishin' Nut, smallies, go to Wheeler Dam beneath it, at least, LMB, go to Guntersville. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/06/17 03:43 AM

Thanks for the info guys.....I have never caught a smallmouth so below Wheeler dam may be what I go with to experience something new. Any guide recommendations for below Wheeler dam?

Re: Wheeler Lake or Guntersville? - 09/06/17 03:46 AM

Fishin Nut, it is a family/work trip combination. I work for a steel company and will be visiting our plant in Decatur but will also be visiting my brother-in-law who is a pastor in Hayden.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum